ADVERTISEMENT

Yelloh (formerly Schwans) is closing in November

An Iowa fan

HB All-American
Dec 12, 2019
I had no idea that Schwan’s changed their name. Or there they were still in business.

I also have never known a single person who was a customer.

Wow I'm kind of surprised they were still in business too.

Kind of makes me wonder why some companies don't just recognize that due to technology changes their business model is fundamentally unsustainable and don't just dissolve if they can't go into another business model.

I mean why sit there and just die a slow death when you could just call it, realize you arn't going to be here in 10 or 20 years no matter what you do, sell all your assets and split them among the stockholders.

It was hard for them to retain workers. As far as companies that deliver they had the worst hours of any. I know a few who worked there until they got a better driving job.

I had no idea that Schwan’s changed their name. Or there they were still in business.

I also have never known a single person who was a customer.
We did back when the kids were small. They had some items that were convenient to be delivered in bulk that were kid friendly, and some work night entrees that were helpful to have in the freezer. The downside was you pretty much had to take deliveries around their schedule.

Thanks Biden! :) For real...I too thought they were a goner several years back. But I will admit to being a sucker and buying some of their root beer popsicles over the years.

Founder Marvin Schwan died in 1993 at the age
of 64, his personal worth was $1.3 billion dollars.
He was a devout Christian who supported many
worthy causes with his Schwan Foundation. His
frozen food empire will now rest in peace with
the closure in November of this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Not sure I would like to know the number of these bad boys I ate as a youth:

6d83e93d93e9e82fe36e4da321e59606.jpg

I’m nostalgic when it comes to Schwan’s. I always enjoyed their jumbo frozen shrimp and chicken kiev. Our little rural Presbyterian church would purchase their 5 gallon kraft paper tubs of their vanilla ice cream for our annual ice cream socials. Good quality products but not necessarily affordable for most folks.

Reactions: HawkMD and lucas80
No Schwan's still exists. They punted the home delivery about five years back and concentrated exclusively on frozen pizzas and other frozen foods.
They've been doing home delivery throughout the summer around where I live.

Probably about 10-12 years ago or so I was driving to work in Cedar Rapids and saw a Schwan's truck. As I drove by, the door opened, and a little person in a mini Schwans outfit hopped out and ran around to the back of the truck/csb

My parents used to buy stuff from them when I was growing up. I don't remember anything about the food we purchased, but I've never forgotten that little feller that hopped out of the truck.

I rememeber burn cruising in high school and we would stop the schwan truck and get a box of drum sticks. Glorious. /csb

Wow I'm kind of surprised they were still in business too.

Kind of makes me wonder why some companies don't just recognize that due to technology changes their business model is fundamentally unsustainable and don't just dissolve if they can't go into another business model.

I mean why sit there and just die a slow death when you could just call it, realize you arn't going to be here in 10 or 20 years no matter what you do, sell all your assets and split them among the stockholders.
The thing is, if they'd been agile, they likely could have stayed in business.

My wife is one of about a half-dozen people I know that subscribe to an online meal service (she does Factor, apparently it's like healthy and stuff, lol).

Schwann's could have pivoted to this model early I feel like, but I am guessing they continued doing things the old way for too long and got passed up by more agile competitors.

The one in Marion is right behind my company’s shop, maybe they can buy the land, the property itself is a shithole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT