ADVERTISEMENT

Yes or No ? Iowa vs. Northwestern *******RESULTS*******

nu2u

HB Legend
Aug 10, 2006
Y/N contest results and scores set forth below:

1. Will Iowa hold the Wildcats to 10 points or less the first half?

Yes - Half time: Iowa 16 v. Northwestern 10

2. Iowa WR Matt VandeBerg scored a TD in each of the first two games but has not scored in the last four. Will VandeBerg score a TD vs. Northwestern?

No - none

3. At least two of Marshall Koehn kick-offs will result in touchbacks.

Yes - Koehn: 8 KOs, 3 touchbacks

4. This game will feature at least one of the following plays (by either team): blocked punt, blocked FGA, fake punt, fake FGA.

No - no blocks according to the record (AP)

5. Will Illinois native Iowa OT Ryan Ward play against the Wildcats in Evanston this year?

No - Ward not listed on the post-game participation report.

6. Big play: will at least one Iowa play from scrimmage result in a gain of 40 or more yards?

Yes - Wadley, 41 yard run

7. Will either team have a 100 yard rusher this game?

Yes - Wadley : 204 yards on 26 carries

8. Next man in: will Iowa DE Parker Hesse record a QB sack this Saturday?

No - none

9. Stopped: at least one Northwestern red zone possession will end without scoring any points against the Hawkeye defense.

No - NW: 2 RZ possessions - 1 TD, 1 FG

10. Will the winning team score more than 26 points?

Yes - Iowa = 40

>> Tie Breaker: Predict the total passing yards for Iowa: 198

Akrum Wadley can't wait to play Northwestern again. 106 yards,1TD in his debut as a Hawkeye in 2014 followed by 204 yards with 4TDs as a sophomore. And with the win .... still undefeated -feels good. Kudos to Josey Jewell who recorded two QB sacks Saturday. Now the contest results.......

41 entries tied the high water mark set two weeks ago and for the first time this year we have a repeat winner, no stranger to the podium, a repeat winner last year as well ....... congrats to QChawks who scored 9-1 to retake the top spot.

Seven contestants scored 8-2 to tie for 2nd place, they are: Kryptonionhawk, Phil Collins, Recruiting Violation, JBJRFL, qrtr, Pepperman, and jonesingforhawkeyes. This week's runner-up spot goes to jonesingforhawkeyes who literally got up off the floor (2-8 last place, last week) to win 2nd by virtue of his Tie-Breaker guess of 199, just one yard away from a bulls-eye.

side-note: in a twist of irony, StatisticsLie nailed the only question which requires an accurate prediction of a statistic -exactly predicting 198, the tie-breaker. Also, my turn to sit in the cellar (3-7). shameful.

All contest scores follow:

QChawks, 9-1 Winner

jonesingforhawkeyes (TB199), 8-2 Runner-up
Recruiting Violation (TB205), 8-2
KrytonionHawk(TB185), 8-2
Pepperman (TB170), 8-2
JBJRFL (TB166), 8-2
Phil Collins (TB243), 8-2
qrtr (TB342), 8-2

goiahawkeyes, 7-3
Hawkeye_4_Life, 7-3
Dauminator, 7-3
hwk23, 7-3
Suterman, 7-3
jdv77, 7-3
14cy, 7-3
thewop, 7-3
HawkHeel13, 7-3
HawkPT, 7-3
IAHawk2011, 7-3
Hawki1123, 7-3
billholub, 7-3
Cwhoward, 7-3
Left_Coast_Bias, 7-3
mthawkeyes, 7-3

IAFootball#1, 6-4
gojojo, 6-4
LBlindHawk, 6-4
rfgiowa, 6-4
StatiticsLie, 6-4
ddare132, 6-4
rivercityjazzman, 6-4
EvilMonkeyInTheCloset, 6-4

MoneyInTheBanks, 5-5
heat_dawg, 5-5
BIG BOY HAWK, 5-5
Obviously Oblivious, 5-5

JuiceHawk, 4-6
pocha444444, 4-6
icwestisthebest, 4-6
td77, 4-6

nu2u, 3-7

NEXT UP: Maryland (Halloween)

I feel like the 1990s Buffalo Bills here. What do I have to do to break through in this thing!!!

Y/N contest results and scores set forth below:

4. This game will feature at least one of the following plays (by either team): blocked punt...

No - no blocks according to the record (AP)

The AP record is wrong. On one of the replays, you can clearly see the back judge indicating that Snyder got a piece of that punt.

Friendly FYI: I rely on the Associated Press box score data to score the contest each week. If AP made an error so be it. Just so everyone is aware, I'm not going to review game film to fact check AP or to determine whether or not a player got a finger on a punt. If there was money on the line I probably would. If I misread AP's box, let me know. Otherwise STFU :cool::Do_O ( j/k)

Reactions: QChawks
Missed my name the list for this past week? Where did I finish? - KuwaitHawk.

Missed my name the list for this past week? Where did I finish? - KuwaitHawk.

The AP record is wrong. On one of the replays, you can clearly see the back judge indicating that Snyder got a piece of that punt.
A blocked punt statistically is only one that ends up behind the line of scrimmage. Yes it was clearly touched.

A blocked punt statistically is only one that ends up behind the line of scrimmage.

Well, not exactly.

From the NCAA Statisticians' Manual: "Article 5. Blocked punts that pass the neutral zone are recorded as blocked punts if, in the statistician’s opinion, the distance of the punt is materially affected. Note: There is no minimum or maximum yardage in determining a blocked or not blocked punt. The official statistician may take into account the trajectory of the ball and how the outcome of the play was affected by the contact on the ball by the defensive player."

So, a punt can be considered "blocked" even if the ball passes the line of scrimmage.

However, with that said, in the Iowa/Northwestern case, I imagine the statistician ruled that the affect of the block was not "material", which seems right to me.

In that case I would say it should have been a blocked punt. A 25 yard punt to me is materially affected. You could tell by Snyder's reaction that he got a piece of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT