ADVERTISEMENT

Yes or No on Coach Doyle - Poll for those with actual football experience

I have actually played football on a real team. Should Coach Doyle fired?

• Yes. I have seen / heard enough to convince me, he should be let go.

Votes: 174 68.2%
  • No. He should be given a 2nd chance if possible.

Votes: 81 31.8%

• Total voters

Underscore2

HR MVP
Mar 14, 2006
For those who have actually played football, on an organized team. Those who have never played football for an actual team, this poll is not for you. So a poll especially for those who have been challenged into being a better player / person on a football team. And appreciate that at least now, if not then.

Reactions: BCRoss89
If Doyle gets shown the door, I gotta believe Iowa goes out there and looks at this as a extraordinary opportunity to find a S&C coach that can get the job done at a very high level and has the ability to get the very very best out of kids without making anyone feel uncomfortable white or black or what ever their hue may be, or how smart they are or any of that stuff... I know it’s possible.. and the guy can still be a tough SOB.

If Doyle gets shown the door, I gotta believe Iowa goes out there and looks at this as a extraordinary opportunity to find a S&C coach that can get the job done at a very high level and has the ability to get the very very best out of kids without making anyone feel uncomfortable white or black or what ever their hue may be, or how smart they are or any of that stuff... I know it’s possible.. and the guy can still be a tough SOB.
He’s already on staff.

I’ve had coaches who were yellers and close to demeaning you. As long as it’s not discriminatory then it’s fine. Some can handle and some can’t. If they’re still pushing you then they care, if not then they don’t and have given up on you.

If what’s said is true then it’s time for him to go. Even if not it’s still probably time to go as the damage is done and the rest of the staff will lose the team.

Prior to the release of his poorly worded statement I was actually in the group hoping he’d get a second chance. Then Chris Doyle cratered that possibility with his own actions. I still can’t comprehend why he decided to do so.
I was told from people in this forum that it was in fact a very good statement, and the best possible thing he could have done at the time.

FWIW I agree with you, and I think he signed his resignation in the last paragraph.

My anecdotal story: My football coach in HS was a hard nose southern guy from Mississippi. He screamed, he yelled, and he seemed to be angry all the time. But he never called names, he never swore, and if you truly needed someone he was there. He would rib you, but you always knew it was okay. There was never a "walking on eggshells" unless you just got your ass handed to you on the field. It was never about who you were.

I was always told “if I’m yelling and pushing you hard its because I know you can do better and I care. If I stop doing those things then that’s when you need to worry”. Those words came from a teacher, coach and mentor. He’s in the Iowa High School Wrestling and National Wrestling Hall if Fames. He never crossed the line though as he would stop caring before demeaning or hurt anyone.

If you listen to the washed up walk-ons podcast the three former player sum it up pretty well.

I think it could have been salvageable even though it might have been a stretch. But in my opinion once he put out the statement that he'd never done anything wrong that sealed his fate.

I would say Doyle at worst is guilty of saying racially inappropriate remarks but I do not believe he's a racist in any way whatsoever.

But I do believe he is a bully and pretty mean-spirited. Each one of these individually may have been recoverable as far as keeping his job but I think the combination of all of it and the timing of everything going on is absolutely no way he survives.

I've heard him speak before and I've long before heard players talk about the things he says and it always struck me as outright mean and I was always baffled why he thought what he was saying worked in a positive way. There are just so many other ways to get the same results

I don't know the man and never heard much about him. Sounds like a drill sergeant who did his job for thirty years. Lots of kids in their teens need tough love sometimes. I think in this case he needs to be let go and have the university fire him and take his money. But then how many of the people who want him fired have committed small crimes and all have gotten a second chance. Most of us have. How many pro athletes have done this and yet are given a second or third chance because they are talented in their sport?

Reactions: TheVegvisir
From the outside looking in It appears the strength and conditioning program at the Univ of Iowa follows a “basic training” model in which players are held accountable for a set of metrics: attitude to improve on lifts, be on time, be accountable to your self & teammates, appropriate dress attire, no food eated at work stations ect. Some of these (my guess) are the same guidelines at most Universities accross the country. Based on my experience in HS the strength & conditioning coach was always challenging us to improve some times in your face to motivate..our mantra was “no gain without pain” in college (NIACC first yr coach Dick Ramsey) first day of practice was a Sun late afternoon early Aug, 100 deg’s with humidity..commercial size garage buckets set up on field..we ran until guys were throwing up in buckets, in the weight rm it was more about peer pressure of guys outperforming one another with lifts per your unit. We also had a nutrition element with our “training table” and we even had a dance teacher come in to assistant with range of motion & flexibility. In “88” I transferred and walked on at UNI (first & only yr coach Earl Bruce..training table had to wear ties). The strength & conditioning was similar to Niacc’s model but more intense and more players. The music rocking - Guns N Roses!!

As far as coach Doyle from what I gather (it’s crazy to even comment since I wasn’t there) however IMHO (he is very good at his craft) but his demeanor most likely very direct and if he noticed guys “slacking” he was on them including dress attire, shoes untied. Honestly I believe this is more about the kids for the first time experiencing an environment where “discipline” & a “workmanship” mentality was priority # 1 and some kids struggling with it! I don’t believe coach Doyle is racist, was there some off colored comments it appears most likely. Due to coach Doyle’s written statement it’s probably best both parties separate.

Last edited:
Usually, in my experience, the “hardass” type coach is hated by freshmen and younger players at first, but by the end of their careers they love and respect him and give him a lot of credit for their success. Part of what convinced me he needs to go is the number of players who put in their time- James Daniels, Jaleel Johnson, etc.- and still feel he’s a bully. That shows he’s crossed the line.

Does Doyle deserve to be fired..no. Is it necessary to fire Doyle to be fired to get past this...yes. He is obviously an asshole, but a lot good coaches are.

Last edited:
The few battles of intent and accuracy Doyle may feel are winnable, will not out weigh those he can't win. Does the evidence prove Doyle to be a racist, he crossed the line, but no, I think it falls short of that. Does it prove him to be a demeaning bully? Probably. Is he redeemable? His statement suggests he does not believe he did anything wrong. Its hard to work with that going forward in this climate.

Didn't play football, but I have a related question - how many other D-I FB teams have their own Chris Doyle? That is, their own hard-ass motivator type?

Didn't play football, but I have a related question - how many other D-I FB teams have their own Chris Doyle? That is, their own hard-ass motivator type?
Any team with a winning record has more than one "drill sergeant" like disciplinarian task master. All most certainly cross the line to bullying occasionally. The grad assistants and position assistants who still had a competitive player mentality were the worst offenders. The more a player is looked to or leads his teammates, the more likely he gets the treatment.

My brothers were all ex-Navy and would laugh if I ever claimed that my coaches where being unfair, or too hard on me, they told me to shut up and take their Sh!t, be a man, think how high and what color. But that was a different time and place, different culture.

I voted no but am actually in between. Most of what I’ve read is pretty damning but some people are changing their tune a little bit and I want to see due process before making my final call.

One reason to not bring Doyle back is that I seriously doubt he can be effective walking on eggshells around the players. We need a weight and conditioning coaches who can get tough with the players and does not have the baggage Doyle has.
This is the very unfortunate reality - I don't think Chris Doyle can be as effective moving forward. BUT, I guess that may be for the University/Head Coach to decide.

Anxious to find out..

HBO sports did a real good piece last year on strength coaches focusing on Maryland after one of their players died in summer workouts 2 years ago. Long story short spoke about how important it is for college football teams to have good strength programs in place anymore and how it has all evolved. Now looking back a lot of familiarity with Iowa's current situation. Spoke about how much power these coaches had and how they'd push the boundaries in some cases and weren't always looking out for the players best interest. Doyle was mentioned briefly in it when they showed a pic of him and how he was paid the same as our OC & DC.

I didn't know that other sports weren't demanding. I played organized football in 7th grade, does that count?
I played 7th and 8th grade football. Technically eligible, I voted to terminate.

My football coach back then was a fat old man who reeked of heavy sweat and dirty laundry. I never saw him without a cigar in his mouth. His favorite practice drill was one-on-one simulated snap collisions from a down stance fighting to his whistle; there was no such thing as a concussion. After the first round, those he deemed to have lost their battle were instructed to lay on the ground face up and side by side. He would then proceed to walk across the row of bellies some times stopping to flick cigar ashes on a player he said had "quit". Fun times !

For those who have actually played football, on an organized team. Those who have never played football for an actual team, this poll is not for you. So a poll especially for those who have been challenged into being a better player / person on a football team. And appreciate that at least now, if not then.
You could probably add for those who played in the 70's - 90's compared to the those in the last 10 years or so. It's just different.

Have a family member and family friend that had interactions with Coach Doyle. In their opinion, is a racist? No. Was he an A$$ to everyone? Yes.

Last edited:
I voted Yes, but even if you believe his actions do not rise to the level of termination, you still have to agree it is time for him to go. How could he come back now? The perception damage is done and you run the risk of completely losing the team if he comes back. Also how can you convince recruits of culture change if you bring him back. Would you rather have Doyle as Strength Coach or a functioning football program, because right now you will not get both.

I played 7th and 8th grade football. Technically eligible, I voted to terminate.

My football coach back then was a fat old man who reeked of heavy sweat and dirty laundry. I never saw him without a cigar in his mouth. His favorite practice drill was one-on-one simulated snap collisions from a down stance fighting to his whistle; there was no such thing as a concussion. After the first round, those he deemed to have lost their battle were instructed to lay on the ground face up and side by side. He would then proceed to walk across the row of bellies some times stopping to flick cigar ashes on a player he said had "quit". Fun times !

Just out of curiosity, how old are you and/ or where did you go to school? I can't picture a coach smoking and I'm 35. The drill seems like something we would do in 7th grade football though.

Lmfao, thata boy!

Couldn't have been more than 5'2" and 80 lbs. My dream was crushed on the first day of tryouts when obviously went over with the QBs. Coach came over and told me that I had a good looking spiral "but son... you gotta be tall enough to see over the line. Go over there with the wide receivers." Let's just say I had zero touches in a game and one... one in practice. I fumbled the hand off on an end around.

Couldn't have been more than 5'2" and 80 lbs. My dream was crushed on the first day of tryouts when obviously went over with the QBs. Coach came over and told me that I had a good looking spiral "but son... you gotta be tall enough to see over the line. Go over there with the wide receivers." Let's just say I had zero touches in a game and one... one in practice. I fumbled the hand off on an end around.

That’s an awesome story though! I never had that issue being small in HS I was 6’4 already my sophomore year and around 230 pounds but was “chub” My Doctor at the time said I would probably be growing even more and possibly 2/3 inches more .. WRONG.. stopped right at 6’4 and have kept my weight around 245 but at one point I was around 330 pounds and felt like a turd though. But that was a great Rudy type story “you’re 5 foot nothing, you’re one hundred and nothing” lol something like that I believe on the movie Rudy..

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
In addition to everything else, it sounds like Coach Doyle treated players differently, played favorites, and it sounds like the favorites were always white guys. I played for a few coaches like that--though not playing favorites based on race--and they were ALWAYS a cancer on the team. Even the guys who were treated favorably by those coaches didn't like them because they had their eyes open and could see what those coaches were doing. From reading what I've read of Doyle, I'm glad he's finally gone. Sounds like current players are glad, too. That's all I need to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT