ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do

IaHawk44

HR MVP
Feb 20, 2006

While ITEP's findings were compiled from 2018 data, one expert says not much has changed in Texas over the last four years.​

Californians reportedly pay less in taxes than Texans do, according to resurfaced data from Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy. traffic_analyzer/Getty Images
Texas politicians and CEOs often tout the state as "low-tax" because workers here aren't forced to pay the local government a percentage of their income, in contrast to places like California. However, recently resurfaced data shows that may only apply if you're a wealthy resident here. A popular post recently shared on Reddit's main economic forum displayed a graphic that explained how Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do, unless those Texans are in the top one percent of all earners.

The graphic reportedly contains 2018 data from the Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), which compiled statistics regarding IRS income tax, sales tax, property tax, and information from Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Expenditure Survey from sources including the U.S. Census Bureau, according to a report by the San Antonio Express News.

The graphic also contained a watermark from the Instagram account Progress for the People, which creates similar infographics for the social media platform. The graphic was posted to the account in May along with some context in the caption, which read: "California has the most 'equitable' state/local tax structure in the US, while Texas has the 2nd least. Despite right [wing] propaganda to the contrary, Texas is not low tax for the people most in need. They only care about reducing taxes for the rich, not about helping the poor and creating an equitable system."

We don't pay more for goods and services here, though. My 3,400 square foot home would sell for a million+ in Southern California and I'm only paying $2.99 per gallon on gas compared to CA's $5.28. There may be some net tax differences, but it's still way cheaper to live here.

Last edited:
Reactions: so cal hawkfan
We don't pay more for goods and services here, though. My 3,400 square foot home would sell for a million+ in Southern California and I'm only paying $2.99 per gallon on gas compared to CA's $5.28. There may be some net tax differences, but it's still way cheaper to live here.

Well so would mine, but I didn’t pay millions for it and I live in California. It’s disingenuous to compare housing costs to one of the most expensive markets in the country.

Well so would mine, but I didn’t pay millions for it and I live in California. It’s disingenuous to compare housing costs to one of the most expensive markets in the country.
Why is it disingenuous when the thread is specifically comparing Texas and California?

If the premise is we pay more in taxes here in Texas I think it is important to point out that it is still cheaper to live here.

Last edited:
The state and local tax burden in Texas in 2019, represented 8.0% of incomes in the state. This tax burden was the fourth lowest among states and well below the overall national tax burden of 10.3%. On a per capita basis, Texas residents paid $4,143 in state and local taxes, 10th lowest among states and lower than the national per capita taxes paid of $5,755.

StateTax as a share of incomeRankTaxes per capitaRank
California11.50%8$7,5296
Iowa10.80%13$5,49921
Florida8.80%43$4,55532
Texas8.00%47$4,14341

Why is it disingenuous when the thread is specifically comparing Texas and California?

If the premise is we pay more in taxes here in Texas I think it is important to point out that it is still cheaper to live here.
Because you didn’t have to compare it to LA. As I stated, I have a house that large in CA and it didn’t cost millions.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Because you didn’t have to compare it to LA. As I stated, I have a house that large in CA and it didn’t cost millions.
Congratulations on your great deal (seriously). Regardless, I will remove the word "southern" and maintain my same stance and I already provided a link that supports that premise showing the median price for the state for the approximate square footage I listed as well.

Bottom line: My point remains.

15. Texas​

• Median list price per square foot: $130
  • Price of a 3,000-square-foot home: $389,403

49. California​

• Median list price per square foot: $323
  • Price of a 3,000-square-foot home: $968,241

Congratulations on your great deal (seriously). Regardless, I will remove the word "southern" and maintain my same stance and I already provided a link that supports that premise showing the median price for the state for the approximate square footage I listed as well.

15. Texas​

49. California​

It wasn’t a great deal. My point is that outside the Bay Area and SoCal markets there is a whole lot of CA that has houses that aren’t anywhere as expensive.

Speaking as a 46-year resident of Southern California, CA sucks. It didn’t used to but it does now. The cost of living is insanely expensive, with high crime and an out of control homeless/ mental illness epidemic. Californians are moving out in droves to Idaho, Texas, Montana, Arizona, etc, based on cost of living and quality of life issues.

It wasn’t a great deal. My point is that outside the Bay Area and SoCal markets there is a whole lot of CA that has houses that aren’t anywhere as expensive.
And I'm sure that's true of Texas...Dallas is more expensive than San Antonio, etc. Wasn't trying to start an argument with anyone, just pointed out that regardless of the OP's premise it's still pretty darn cheap to live in Texas. Nothing more.

And I'm sure that's true of Texas...Dallas is more expensive than San Antonio, etc. Wasn't trying to start an argument with anyone, just pointed out that regardless of the OP's premise it's still pretty darn cheap to live in Texas. Nothing more.
Right, and since the Bay Area/LA is some of the most expensive housing in the country it will skew the median pricing you quoted. Just pointing out that your comparison was not the whole picture.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Speaking as a 46-year resident of Southern California, CA sucks. It didn’t used to but it does now. The cost of living is insanely expensive, with high crime and an out of control homeless/ mental illness epidemic. Californians are moving out in droves to Idaho, Texas, Montana, Arizona, etc, based on cost of living and quality of life issues.
off-to-work-leaving.gif

Reactions: lucas80
Right, and since the Bay Area/LA is some of the most expensive housing in the country it will skew the median pricing you quoted. Just pointing out that your comparison was not the whole picture.
Well, it wasn't intentionally disingenuous, especially since I firmly believe in my premise and that's after living in Huntington Beach, CA (my ex-wife was born there), Anchorage, AK, San Angelo/San Antonio, TX and FL. Texas has been the easiest on my pocket.

Well, it wasn't intentionally disingenuous,
unlike, say the OP’s article that wants to convince us the state and local government taking 11.5% of income is really less than taking 8%, and that spending $7,529 per capita is really less than spending $4,143 per capita.

OP is spreading disinformation.

unlike, say the OP’s article that wants to convince us the state and local government taking 11.5% of income is really less than taking 8%, and that spending $7,529 per capita is really less than spending $4,143 per capita.

OP is spreading disinformation.
Is the math too hard for you?

15. Texas​

49. California​

Comparing a home in Dallas or Houston to to LA or San Francisco is very disingenuous.

Comparing crappy cities to some of the most desired cities along the coast is definitely not apples to apples. Living in Houston, in California terms, is more akin to living in Fresno. The average home price in Fresno, not surprisingly, is $375,000.

Comparing a home in Dallas or Houston to to LA or San Francisco is very disingenuous.

Comparing crappy cities to some of the most desired cities along the coast is definitely not apples to apples. Living in Houston, in California terms, is more akin to living in Fresno. The average home price in Fresno, not surprisingly, is $375,000.
So your stance is its less or more expensive to live in CA vs living in Texas?

Acknowledging that it's expensive to live in California is no different than acknowledging that the sky is blue. I'm surprised at the ridiculous pushback on the simple notion that living in Texas no matter how you slice it is simply cheaper than living in california. No other point is trying to be made.

Acknowledging that it's expensive to live in California is no different than acknowledging that the sky is blue. I'm surprised at the ridiculous pushback on the simple notion that living in Texas no matter how you slice it is simply cheaper than living in california. No other point is trying to be made.

We are all wondering why the hell you are talking about which state is more expensive to live in. The entire premise of this thread was that Texans pay more taxes than Californians. No other point needed to be made…yet here you are changing the subject again.

No, we just suggest that you pick valid comparisons. If you're going to chose say a house in San Antonio a better comparison in CA would be Sacramento, not Huntington Beach or San Jose.

Reactions: ping72
We are all wondering why the hell you are talking about which state is more expensive to live in. The entire premise of this thread was that Texans pay more taxes than Californians. No other point needed to be made…yet here you are changing the subject again.
Good grief. Sometimes this place is unnecessarily [or intentionally] obtuse. Go back and read my original response. Basically, all I said was we [Texans] may pay more in taxes than Californians, but it's still cheaper to live here. That is a factual statement and its relevant to the topic.

Now, had I just randomly blurted out, "Well, it's cheaper to live as an expat in Costa Rica!", then I could see some relevance to your assertion that I'm changing the subject.

In the future, though, I'll stay to the tiny pinhole of the thread.

mouse-thread.gif

Last edited:

While ITEP's findings were compiled from 2018 data, one expert says not much has changed in Texas over the last four years.​

Californians reportedly pay less in taxes than Texans do, according to resurfaced data from Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy. traffic_analyzer/Getty Images
Texas politicians and CEOs often tout the state as "low-tax" because workers here aren't forced to pay the local government a percentage of their income, in contrast to places like California. However, recently resurfaced data shows that may only apply if you're a wealthy resident here. A popular post recently shared on Reddit's main economic forum displayed a graphic that explained how Texans actually pay more in taxes than Californians do, unless those Texans are in the top one percent of all earners.

The graphic reportedly contains 2018 data from the Institute of Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), which compiled statistics regarding IRS income tax, sales tax, property tax, and information from Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Expenditure Survey from sources including the U.S. Census Bureau, according to a report by the San Antonio Express News.

The graphic also contained a watermark from the Instagram account Progress for the People, which creates similar infographics for the social media platform. The graphic was posted to the account in May along with some context in the caption, which read: "California has the most 'equitable' state/local tax structure in the US, while Texas has the 2nd least. Despite right [wing] propaganda to the contrary, Texas is not low tax for the people most in need. They only care about reducing taxes for the rich, not about helping the poor and creating an equitable system."

This may actually be true, but how sad is it that two of the "sources" for this story are "Reddit's main economic forum" and an Instagram account.

Just sad.

As a neutral observer, there is no f'ing way I would consider living in shit hole Texas over California.

Been to both many times.

Reactions: ping72

So somebody puts together a "graphic" with no detail whatsoever about the numbers used or what is being compared, and you buy it and go ape sh!t, BAU

So somebody puts together a "graphic" with no detail whatsoever about the numbers used or what is being compared, and you buy it and go ape sh!t, BAU
Ape shit, lol... like your response.

Believing a post is someone giving something their full endorsement is pretty ****ing lame, bruh - but not as lame as attacking something without providing any facts to show it's wrong.

Now **** off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT