ADVERTISEMENT

Yes this is Kenyon Murray

PHawkKenyon

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2016
Cedar Rapids
Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!

I pretty much agree with KM about his assessments. I think they can play and will show a lot in the coming years and also think the year of prep school probably did wonders for them.

The issue I have is more with Fran in his team building. We often go for skill more than pure athleticism lately and I am a firm believer you need both to build a good team.

Reactions: jasonrann
I was encouraged by the fact that they had apparently played multiple pickup games with the current Iowa players that I'm assuming some of the staff watched. If they hadn't been able to cut it, I doubt they would have been offered.

We all want them to succeed. Now if I had a child playing college sports, I would run like hell from all message boards. These are brutal places.

I just got a month membership to make that post. I don't plan on being on here. I have played, coached at multiple levels and studied the game for a very long time. There are a lot of things that go into why a program offers certain players. With the 3pt line moving out, it is imperative for teams to have shooters to spread the floor and allow for dribble drives/post ups. Positionless basketball is a REAL thing. I appreciate your advice on not being in the message boards, but I love my boys and my alma mater. I am fine with any criticism that comes my way and my boys are too. Go Hawks!!

We are all cheering for them. Speaking as a dad, posting here may not be the best idea.

They have my support. I have to say that I was extremely impressed with their soft-spoken demeaners when interviewed.

Please ignore the negative comments you may have seen. Some extremely uninformed posters act as though they know what they are talking about. Also some trolls from the Ag school to the west.

Really happy to have the twins next year!

I was encouraged by the fact that they had apparently played multiple pickup games with the current Iowa players that I'm assuming some of the staff watched. If they hadn't been able to cut it, I doubt they would have been offered.

We all want them to succeed. Now if I had a child playing college sports, I would run like hell from all message boards. These are brutal places.

There aren't many times recruits can play pick up with current players where the coaches are able to watch. NCAA rules are pretty restrictive on this. Usually it is the coaches getting feedback from the players on how he recruits did. Only becomes an issue if the recruit(s) are headcases or assholes, then the current players may be tempted to let that influence their judgment of how good of a player a kid is. (That is not something to worry about in this case...I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Kris or Keegan when it comes to the kind of people they are.)

We’ll said Kenyon. I, along with many others I’m sure, are excited about what Keegan & Kris will bring to the table. They will make significant contributions - especially when I read about their work ethic.

I suspect the doubt expressed is more that your son’s commitment seemingly came about very rapidly before they received other high profile offers coupled with the mistaken belief that the 2020 recruiting class is complete. It’s not, as you mention.

Please consider telling your sons there are many Hawk fans excited about their commitment.

Go Hawks!

Can't wait to watch them play for the Hawks. The vocal minority is fickle and will quickly flip when they are playing meaningful minutes for the Hawks in a few years. Thank you for all of your time and effort for Iowa athletics through the years. Go Hawks.

If you are comfortable answering, I am interested to know if your boys would have signed somewhere else in November had they not committed to Iowa? Or would they have waited until the spring signing period?

Reactions: skydog0784
As a dad, I can only imagine how proud you are of your sons. Congratulations to your whole family.

As a fan watching from a distance, I can admit that I had no idea about their growth, the added muscle, and certainly not about their playing with and against current players. Based on my ignorance I was at first very surprised by the offers......now, having had the chance to learn more I couldn't be happier about these young men committing to Iowa basketball.

As a supporter of the Iowa Hawkeye's I want the players and coaches, first and foremost, to be good people. To be honest and hard working, and represent the U of I and subsequently the state with class and dignity. I always felt that you, Kenyon, fit that mold perfectly. Maybe even above and beyond that with the way you dealt with the death of Chris Street among many other things. So, very happy to have your sons on board and to have Hawkeyes like you as our longtime representatives of the program.

If you are comfortable answering, I am interested to know if your boys would have signed somewhere else in November had they not committed to Iowa? Or would they have waited until the spring signing period?

They probably would have waited for the spring. I just learned that Iowa was a dream destination for them a few months ago. We had a lot of mid majors talking to us, but when you talk about twins, a majority of the schools were not looking at taking both of them. The reality is that it’s a unique situation having twins who are of similar build and style of play. Redshirting is still not out of the question, but we have to wait-and-see a year from now if they are both ready to go. The biggest thing is that coach McCaffrey sees a huge upside in them. If they continue to add weight, strength and explosiveness like they have over the last six months, Iowa is going to be a handful to deal with with our current players and this new group.

They probably would have waited for the spring. I just learned that Iowa was a dream destination for them a few months ago. We had a lot of mid majors talking to us, but when you talk about twins, a majority of the schools were not looking at taking both of them. The reality is that it’s a unique situation having twins who are of similar build and style of play. Redshirting is still not out of the question, but we have to wait-and-see a year from now if they are both ready to go. The biggest thing is that coach McCaffrey sees a huge upside in them. If they continue to add weight, strength and explosiveness like they have over the last six months, Iowa is going to be a handful to deal with with our current players and this new group.

Welcome to the board. And best wishes to your sons. I was a kid when you were at Iowa and remember fondly those teams with Earl, Street, Moses, etc. You were a freshman that 92-93 season, right?

Btw, it's free to post here. You don't need a subscription.

As an Iowa alumnus and a proud father of two sons who have attended or are attending Iowa, and one of whom has gone on to study at Columbia University, and both of whom faced and stared down difficulty and doubters and self doubt all along, let me congratulate you and your sons!

I’m glad you’re not ignoring the negativity, and better, are facing it head on. Love the stare down. That’s a winner for me.

Fire in the heart, ice in the veins. Negativity is motivation; doubt is determination.

Your sons have all the tools - physical and mental and parental and educational - to be all star Hawkeyes, then professionals, and then I hope they can take their wisdom and hard earned privilege and help solve problems and build community and educate the next generation as they go. This country desperately needs more people like you and your family.

It’s about so much more than basketball.

And I can use that well known sentence as someone whose father grew up in Akron and who himself grew up in Cleveland. I’ve seen losing teams as well as have celebrated in the streets at a championship parade.

Seeing your sons get their first start at CHA in two or three years will be a great thrill for me too. As well as watching one come down a ladder and hug the other before handing him a pair of scissors to cut down that championship net!

More than hype, it takes a daily grind. More than stars, it takes team. I know it will happen. Too much talent, character, heart and Hawkeye family for it not to.

And it will be beautiful.

Thanks for the contribution Kenyon. I think you sell yourself short as a Hawkeye. A lot of us recognized how valuable you were to your teams despite not being a pure shooter.

Congrats on Kris and Keegan following your footsteps. I think most of the negative comments come from them not really being on our radar as recruits the last couple of years. The offer came as a surprise to many of us who follow recruiting closely. I really look forward to seeing what they can contribute in the coming years. Go Hawks!

Social media rule #1: Don't interpret the opinion of 1 or 2 people as the opinion of everyone, or even a majority of people.

The hawks could sign the greatest recruiting class ever and a few 'fans' on here would find something to complain about. Some people are just negative like that.

Certainly not exclusive to Iowa. I'm sure it's true for every fan base in every sport.

I’m actually related to a guy who was pretty highly recruited and played at Arkansas. Never really panned out, kinda had a rough time. Always sucked to go to their message boards and read people badmouthing him when he had a bad game…it’s different when you have a personal connection to the person being talked about. But, again…can't interpret the opinion of a few people as the opinion of everyone.

Most hawk fans realize the staff knows roughly 900395 billion times more about basketball than we do...so if they think your boys are a good fit, then that is awesome. If they're half as good as you, they will be legends:)

I just got a month membership to make that post. I don't plan on being on here. I have played, coached at multiple levels and studied the game for a very long time. There are a lot of things that go into why a program offers certain players. With the 3pt line moving out, it is imperative for teams to have shooters to spread the floor and allow for dribble drives/post ups. Positionless basketball is a REAL thing. I appreciate your advice on not being in the message boards, but I love my boys and my alma mater. I am fine with any criticism that comes my way and my boys are too. Go Hawks!!
Kenyon, I don't know much about your sons, but am excited to see them when they put on the Hawkeye jersey and take the floor, hopefully with the same passion their dad did. I applaud your posts on this board and your undying support and love for your family. They have already made you proud and will continue to do so. Watching Roy Marble watch his son play was such a neat experience for all of us fans who cheered on Roy when he played. I wish the same anxiety and nervousness (lol) on you watching your sons do great things for the Hawks!

Before you all bash the Iowa Mens Basketball's 2020 recruiting class, why not ponder this. Am I proud that my boys will play at Iowa, ABSOLUTELY!! Did we as a family think people would question their commitment, YOU BET!! But if you haven't watch them play, or workout, or study, you might need to do that before you pass judgment on them and the class that isn't even completed.

How did Devyn Marble end up, Aaron White? As their Dad and coach, I would say that 6 months ago they would not be worthy of a B10 scholarship offer. But they took what Fran said to heart. They have both added 20+ lbs of muscle, increased their verticle jump by 3+ inches, will play at least 4 positions for their prep school team who will compete with the likes of IMG, Montverde and Prolific Prep during this season. They are still growing and could get another inch or so (Keegan 6'8 and Kris 6'7.5). So before you close the door on them, why not see what Fran sees in them. They are learning from Dan Pannagio (12 year NBA coach and World Champion with the Lakers). He is the basketball mind behind DME Sports Academy. I came to Iowa with all the accolades and people (myself included) would say I was a disappointment based on my "ranking". Only thing I had on them at this same age, was I was a more explosive athlete. They both shoot, handle and understand the game better than I did at 19 years old. If they can take what Fran and Billy Taylor say they need to work on before they get to campus to be able to contribute, they will do it. They have been underestimated and doubted for a long time, that has been their fuel. I appreciate all the comments that are posted in this message board. That passion is why I came to Iowa and have made it my home since 1992. God Bless and Go Hawks!!
Had the pleasure to watch you in person as a student (1993 Iowa grad) and think I even had you in one of my English classes, lol.

Congrats to the twins on garnering the scholarship and here is hoping they indeed prove the doubters wrong.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: LUC8 and iahawks10

Excited to have Kris and Keegan on board. On top of their abilities, there is no question we will have two high character kids on the team. They will likely have a chip on their shoulder and that should bode well for us. Congratulations to you and your entire family.

I absolutely love Iowa Basketball and will always be cheering on all Iowa players. Thanks for sharing with us devoted fans of the Hawkeyes past present and future. My grandfather was the team captain of Iowa's first BigTen champs way back in 1922 or 23. It was co champs with wisconsin.
My avatar is my grandad wearing the black and gold.

yeah, i LOL'd but also Patrick has really got his jumper going. He's going to be a tough cover with his shooting and ability to put it on the deck and create for himself.

We will add Patrick to your list of Iowa players with the skill to put the ball on the floor and create:

"Young an unproven... but we brought in some slashers last year, and I'd put Dom Uhl in the slasher category as well as he'll be a mismatch nightmare for PF's.

Fleming some, but mostly I'd put Moss, Hutton, and Wagner as all guys that can put the ball on the deck and beat their man off the dribble."

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/jordan-bohannon.31656/#post-667236

I admit I had reservations when I read about their commitments. Your post relieves those concerns considerably. It sounds like Keegan and Kris have grown quite a bit in a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing them in black and gold. Thank you!

Congrats to you, to your sons and to your family.

Lets face it. No one on here knows how to evaluate a basketball or football player. But you know who does? Fran McCaffery.

Bashing players and player commitments is one bad thing about anonymous message boards. Anybody can say anything with little to no consequences.

And Twitter is even worse. People create fake accounts, pose as Hawkeye fans, and then go after players and the parents of players. We have seen this with a couple of Iowa football moms (Tyler Goodson's mom; Justin Britt's mom).

Just curious, as a parent, what do you tell your boys when ti comes to the negative tweets? To simply ignore them & then block the sender?

I don't know what the solution is for players & players' parents other than to ignore the noise and block the senders of the noise.

Fran hates Twitter for many reasons, even though his own kids are on it & have had "fans" come after them. I remember him saying that Margaret monitors their Twitter accounts and is a momma bear if someone comes at their kids.

Kirk Ferentz, of course, has banned his players from Twitter, and I don't see how that decision was ever a bad one.

Also, what are your thoughts on

* The recent FBI investigation and the challenges Fran faces by playing by the rules?

* Are our facilities where they need to be?

As a reminder to all, Kenyon played at Iowa from 1992-1996.

Here are some of his highlights

Thanks for coming on here, identifying yourself and leaving yourself open to what may come at your sons on this forum. Here's to hoping your boys are great players, great students, great Hawkeyes.

We will add Patrick to your list of Iowa players with the skill to put the ball on the floor and create:

"Young an unproven... but we brought in some slashers last year, and I'd put Dom Uhl in the slasher category as well as he'll be a mismatch nightmare for PF's.

Fleming some, but mostly I'd put Moss, Hutton, and Wagner as all guys that can put the ball on the deck and beat their man off the dribble."

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/jordan-bohannon.31656/#post-667236

Can you remind me where I put car keys?

I personally hope you continue past your month membership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT