ADVERTISEMENT

You all still realize it's a matter of when.......not if, yeah?

Realistically, Kirk has long ago proven that he will not make any type of change due to criticism, pressure or ideas coming from anyone not named Kirk Ferentz. He's quite satisfied with himself as being the guy in charge (and has the contract to prove it). Everyone in the world saw that Iowa got 10 wins last year due to smoke and mirrors...weak schedule and a once-in-a-lifetime Defensive turnover margin. But it was 10 wins...and any reason serves a tyrant.

As agonizing it's been to see the QB charade....it's easy to see that Kirk does not give a damn about the development or confidence of the backup QBs (all probably should be given a chance long ago....Padilla if nothing else has a quickness and confidence that Petras lacks)....and say what you want about the OL...but when a QB cannot do basic step-ups in a pocket and folds like an accordian when it collapses....it shows the lack of skillset for a supposed pocket passer. If Krik put team first, as he should, then other QBs would be getting snaps....so many situations allowed for it....including Iowa big lead at Rutgers. Fry, the greatest Iowa coach by far, would not sit still and allow the above to take place.

It could get even worse.....If Petras does come back (and why wouldn't he with the Ferentz still around to pat him on the back no matter what.....expect this Twilight Zone saga to keep on rolling in 2023.

Kirk’s contract is up in 2029. He's not getting a new one. He's not getting an extension.

That sets a pretty finite time table for which our fanbase can work.

Kirk may never change.....but he won't always be Iowa's head coach. Just like Brian won't remain as OC, or ever even sniff the job for next HC. Even Gary Barta will be gone eventually.

So the question you really need to be asking yourselves......is not whether things will change or not..........but rather will you stick around (either by choice or otherwise......) to see it happen?
I feel like this is what the basketball program has been battling. I’m more of a football fan but found myself caring much more about watching the Tom Davis good years of basketball much more then football.
Then the downfall of basketball happened and I honestly feel like it’s never gotten back to where it was.
I think that might change here in the next few years. If Kirk continues this crap, more people will stop watching and who knows when or if it will recover.
for the first time since I have married my wife, I don’t get upset with her if she schedules something during an iowa game. If I do watch the game, I find myself laughing through most of it because of how comical/pathetic the offense is.

I Support The Hawks through Thick or Thin Times. I hope those of you that say you will stop coming do just that, then maybe my seat prices might go down. Put your money where your mouth is. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of stupid whiny people on this website. Complain about everything. Kirk Ferentz along Coach Frey are the two greatest coaches to coach at Iowa period. Anyone who wanted either one of those two to be fired is simply not very smart. The majority of former players have nothing but great things to say. There is WAAAAYY more to football than just wins and losses. We don't cheat and we run a very respected and clean program. The majority of other colleges can't make that claim Shape up Hawk Fans, quit being a bunch of babies. GO HAWKS!!
Maybe they need to start cheating

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I Support The Hawks through Thick or Thin Times. I hope those of you that say you will stop coming do just that, then maybe my seat prices might go down. Put your money where your mouth is. One thing is for sure, there are a lot of stupid whiny people on this website. Complain about everything. Kirk Ferentz along Coach Frey are the two greatest coaches to coach at Iowa period. Anyone who wanted either one of those two to be fired is simply not very smart. The majority of former players have nothing but great things to say. There is WAAAAYY more to football than just wins and losses. We don't cheat and we run a very respected and clean program. The majority of other colleges can't make that claim Shape up Hawk Fans, quit being a bunch of babies. GO HAWKS!!
Most people aren't going to argue with this, however everything comes with an expiration date. Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Hayden Fry, and Kirk Ferentz all came with an expiration date. Sometimes it gets hastened by an event (Woody Hayes assaulting an opposing player) or the hiring of son to run your offense (Bobby Bowden), but they all have a limited lifespan and Kirk is nearing the end (Ala Bobby Bowden).

Gosh it’s a really good question. I think I’ll always be a diehard fan. I ride the rollercoaster of thinking KF doesn’t care (because he won’t even try small changes that feel obvious to everyone else) to watching the Hawks do great things and breaks down bawling after a win.

KFs philosophy seems to embody what Iowans are - work hard, do what is right, do it well, be tough as nails. And I love that. And face it, we Iowans can be loyal and stubborn folk too! But this level of stubbornness and loyalty borders on irrational, foolishness, and even selfishness at the moment.

I’ll come back - will probably never leave as a fan… but will my kids and that generation, or will they see the level of apathy set in and just never care as much? That’s a concern for me.

Reactions: haightt
Most people aren't going to argue with this, however everything comes with an expiration date. Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Hayden Fry, and Kirk Ferentz all came with an expiration date. Sometimes it gets hastened by an event (Woody Hayes assaulting an opposing player) or the hiring of son to run your offense (Bobby Bowden), but they all have a limited lifespan and Kirk is nearing the end (Ala Bobby Bowden).
Really like this point. All good things come to an end…. Just a matter if the new beginning can build off the old or if it needs to completely start over.

You seem pretty impressed with your Hawk fandom but if you can't even spell one of our greatest coach's 3 letter last name you lose a lot of credibility with all the other stuff you typed

Who the hell is Coach Frey?
Jim Frey - managed the Cubs to the 1984 NL East pennant

jim-frey-card.jpg

The worst thing that will happen to this program is fans not caring about Iowa football and growing apathetic. I believe it's happening right now.

It's purely anecdotal, but I just feel like people are beginning to not care because there is almost nothing we can do about it. I grew up listening and then watching every Iowa game, live in Iowa, went to the University of Iowa and had season tickets for 12 years. I can feel it and I know big Hawkeyes fans that I am friends with feel the same way. And it's not just because of this year.
I agree and like anything else (as a fan) when you feel that Iowa is heading south and not making any changes to turn the tide you eventually lose interest. Watching games in recent years is more like a job than an exciting time rooting for your favorite team. It just sucks, but JMO.

This same thought process was happening in 2014 until the Fake ID season of 2015 happened and F'd everything up....it could happen again....but I seriously doubt it. Ferment's actions HAVE to be killing recruiting at the offensive skill positions...not to mention his blatant disregard for the NIL and portals.
I agree the college sports environment is much different now and he has Brian. I do not foresee a comeback by Ferentz this time around. Iowa football is a paper tiger IMO.

Idk.... If Kirk pulls out another great season after a few shitty ones....he will be back in the fan's good graces and get another extension. He knows what he is doing
I have a feeling this happens. You know the saying, “A man is only as faithful as his options.”? For Kirk, he’s only urgent when his back is against the wall and a revolt is forming outside the football building.

The schedule is easier in 2023. The OL will be better by default (we think?) There will be rabbits pulled out of hats on offense and Labas will play the QB position well. The fans will wonder why he was caged up, Kirk and the Defenders will insist he wasn’t ready…we’ll go 8-4 and win a bowl game against an SEC team that couldn’t give two shits about being there, and all will be swell.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
The worst thing that will happen to this program is fans not caring about Iowa football and growing apathetic. I believe it's happening right now.

It's purely anecdotal, but I just feel like people are beginning to not care because there is almost nothing we can do about it. I grew up listening and then watching every Iowa game, live in Iowa, went to the University of Iowa and had season tickets for 12 years. I can feel it and I know big Hawkeyes fans that I am friends with feel the same way. And it's not just because of this year.
100% correct. In the last decade I've gone from season ticket holder, to couple games a year, to maybe one game live but watch all games on TV, to tv is enough, to tv is on while doing other stuff around the house, to it's not worth getting so angry over a game so I'll just keep track on Gamecast, and now at this point just checking the score after the game is over. The Iowa offense has just sucked the joy out of watching.

Also, I’m a sicko and a degenerate that only watches if there’s a gambling angle. And I’ve had money on every Iowa game so I guess I kinda painted myself into a corner.

Kirk’s contract is up in 2029. He's not getting a new one. He's not getting an extension.

That sets a pretty finite time table for which our fanbase can work.

Kirk may never change.....but he won't always be Iowa's head coach. Just like Brian won't remain as OC, or ever even sniff the job for next HC. Even Gary Barta will be gone eventually.

So the question you really need to be asking yourselves......is not whether things will change or not..........but rather will you stick around (either by choice or otherwise......) to see it happen?

The closer Kirk gets to that 2029 finish line the harder it will be to recruit even our normal 2-3 star and a few 4 star recruits. So I hope Kirk maybe tries to right the ship after this year and after 2025 or 2026 just announces his retirement out of the blue. That means no hit on recruiting based on other coaches telling recruits Kirk wont be there after you know when.

Any HC transition, whenever it happens is going to be painful. With BF expected to be HC at the contract extension, Barta hasn't even thought of even emailing anyone. My guess Barta and KF skip out the door hand in hand with their bags of money when THEY choose to.

KF love of his son greatly outweighs his commitment to Iowa. (Great as a example of a father, crap for the fans.)

A special note, naming BF QB coach should have been a sign of the morbid insanity that was going to happen.

Not so much anymore. Living in the Ozarks has afforded me a better experience by being outdoors. Usually record the game so I can fast forward to just see the highlights. Less stressful that way.

So you are watching the games then...

Realistically, Kirk has long ago proven that he will not make any type of change due to criticism, pressure or ideas coming from anyone not named Kirk Ferentz. He's quite satisfied with himself as being the guy in charge (and has the contract to prove it). Everyone in the world saw that Iowa got 10 wins last year due to smoke and mirrors...weak schedule and a once-in-a-lifetime Defensive turnover margin. But it was 10 wins...and any reason serves a tyrant.

As agonizing it's been to see the QB charade....it's easy to see that Kirk does not give a damn about the development or confidence of the backup QBs (all probably should be given a chance long ago....Padilla if nothing else has a quickness and confidence that Petras lacks)....and say what you want about the OL...but when a QB cannot do basic step-ups in a pocket and folds like an accordian when it collapses....it shows the lack of skillset for a supposed pocket passer. If Krik put team first, as he should, then other QBs would be getting snaps....so many situations allowed for it....including Iowa big lead at Rutgers. Fry, the greatest Iowa coach by far, would not sit still and allow the above to take place.

It could get even worse.....If Petras does come back (and why wouldn't he with the Ferentz still around to pat him on the back no matter what.....expect this Twilight Zone saga to keep on rolling in 2023.
Imagine the meltdown if SP comes back. He would be much better off transferring to a school with an offensive line.

Agree with this. I am fine with throwing this year away if they make some serious changes on offense and are aggressive in the offseason and transfer portal. I actually don't think they are a ways away but they need to take a hard look.

Think KF still has another good run in him but he has to know that this isnt good. Even with a moderate offense, this team is probably 5-1.

KF's best option would be to bring in an OC that is proven and can have free reign.

Not so much anymore. Living in the Ozarks has afforded me a better experience by being outdoors. Usually record the game so I can fast forward to just see the highlights. Less stressful that way.
All 27 seconds of them?

jonesy5960 said:

Really like this point. All good things come to an end…. Just a matter if the new beginning can build off the old or if it needs to completely start over.
Some universities have administrators who can't read the package labels.

ADVERTISEMENT