ADVERTISEMENT

You choose

It does kinda pi$$ me off the media will trash Iowa’s offense (rightfully so) but then glorify games with ZERO defense. It’s a total double standard.

Admittedly, Kansas was a fun team to watch this year, but if they had ANY defense, they would have won a lot more games too. It cuts both ways.
No it’s not - the people want to watch offense and be entertained.

Hence, trashing shitty offense and glorifying games lacking defense. Entertainment = offense

Double Standard - a principle unfairly applied in different ways to different people

One offensive TD like the Hawks..and win.

Or

Score 45 and lose like USC
Context is important.

I would have much rather the Hawks lost a 1-point heartbreaker to a loaded team in a NY6 bowl than beat up on a hapless, depleted 7-win team.

If Iowa’s goal is to ever win a huge game again, the offense needs to be fixed. No team will ever win the BTCG or a CFP game with 1 TD.

It does kinda pi$$ me off the media will trash Iowa’s offense (rightfully so) but then glorify games with ZERO defense. It’s a total double standard.

Admittedly, Kansas was a fun team to watch this year, but if they had ANY defense, they would have won a lot more games too. It cuts both ways.
Watching all these high-scoring games and then seeing why the losing teams lost the way they did only makes me appreciate what Iowa has been able to do defensively that much more.

And before someone chimes in with the 56 pts OSU scored on us, go back and read the PbP chart.

Iowa's offense did everything it could to put the defense in terrible positions and they ONLY gave up 56 pts.

You watch what those teams did on Saturday and can ANYBODY with a straight f***ing face tell me that Ohio State or Michigan do not give up more points if their defenses were put in those exact same positions but against Georgia and TCU and other elite offenses like Tennessee or Alabama?

Because I just watched what Michigan and OSU's defenses did against elite offenses in "normal" situations in perfect, sterilized playing conditions.

So again.............Michigan and OSU would've won if they had Iowa's defense.

Deal with it. :D

i dunno about usc, but wasn't there some talk (wishful thinking) about tulane's OC svoboda and the potential opening at Iowa? i'd take that. tulane has been a doormat forever and were 2-11 last year.
Tulane has actually been an up and coming program for a little while now under their current HC. Last year was a bit of an anomaly due to them being greatly affected by the hurricane that hit that area.

Reactions: Bishop1971
i dunno about usc, but wasn't there some talk (wishful thinking) about tulane's OC svoboda and the potential opening at Iowa? i'd take that. tulane has been a doormat forever and were 2-11 last year.
What's absolutely hilarious is that Iowa's joke of an OL coach, Barnett or whatever his name is, was "stolen" from Tulane before he even started coaching there. LOL. What a blessing in disguise for them. No way on God's green earth do they field that OL and that offense with Iowa's OL coach there the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I’m not understanding why we can’t have both. As much as we pay the HC, OC and Oline coach combined it seems like a reasonable ask.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Context is important.

I would have much rather the Hawks lost a 1-point heartbreaker to a loaded team in a NY6 bowl than beat up on a hapless, depleted 7-win team.

If Iowa’s goal is to ever win a huge game again, the offense needs to be fixed. No team will ever win the BTCG or a CFP game with 1 TD.
Context?
You would have been bitching about how bad your defense was and how you can't believe that a team with such a great offense couldn't have at least an average defense. I am sure you would have preferred to watch your team (supposedly a playoff caliber team) blow a comfortable 4th quarter lead against frigging Tulane. USC had a National Championship caliber offense and a bottom dweller defense.

You also seem to forget that Iowa was a hapless, offenseless, depleted 7-5 team too, and they kicked the ass of a similar team.
I'll take the win and move on.

I'd honestly take a Big 6 bowl game with any result vs. any win in a smaller bowl.

Context?
You would have been bitching about how bad your defense was and how you can't believe that a team with such a great offense couldn't have at least an average defense. I am sure you would have preferred to watch your team (supposedly a playoff caliber team) blow a comfortable 4th quarter lead against frigging Tulane. USC had a National Championship caliber offense and a bottom dweller defense.

You also seem to forget that Iowa was a hapless, offenseless, depleted 7-5 team too, and they kicked the ass of a similar team.
I'll take the win and move on.
You sound like an angry little dude.

My last post was 100% accurate. I’m sorry you didn’t like it. OP was trying to make the point that a win is a win and the score doesn’t matter. My counterpoint is that comparing a game between two rather lousy teams in the music city bowl and an NY6 game is rather silly and gave my reasons. I enjoyed Iowa’s win as much as anybody, but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t rather have had a 11-win season and played in a game that people care about.

Last edited:
You know, the Kentucky defense is pretty damn good. They held the high-flying Georgia Offense to 1 touchdown, just like Iowa, on Nov 19th this season.
KU lost by 10

I don't mind scoring 1 TD, but it would be nice to see the O grind the ball out to midfield to help the special teams/defense. Asking for a few 1st downs shouldn't be considered greedy.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I'd take the winning over the losing (obviously) no matter how we get there, but why does offense and defense have to be mutually exclusive?

Reactions: 83Hawk
Would you rather have an elite defense and win a game 3-0…

Or…

Have an awesome offense, no defense, and INFLICT THE ENTIRE WORLD WITH CANCER?!?!?!

I love these threads.

ADVERTISEMENT