ADVERTISEMENT

You do realize we have only .....

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
Six wide receivers. Two still with injuries in Vines and Johnson. One non playing freshmen a in Bostick. Leaving us three left. Most teams in the world of college football have at least ten. How about this: four less ol and four more WR's. 😎❤️🏈

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Do you realize that defending this gawd awful offense and it’s coaches is wearing very thin?

Recruiting, development, scheme, and retention are all part of the problem when it comes to wide receiver production.

Sure, and I’m not defending anything here. Just pointing out that a year ago we had I think either 9 or 10 receivers on scholarship, 2 of whom left mid season, Tracy and Jones left after the season. And of course we’ve yet to have all 6 of the ones we do have dress for the same game.

Should have hit the transfer portal harder after losing 3 for sure, just saying that this wasn’t due to Iowa simply neglecting the position in recruiting. Some of it is simply bad luck that a lot of stuff happened all at once.

Why would any receiver worth a darn want to waste his time and talent in this antiquated offense? What is the coaching staff’s sales pitch: come to Iowa - you can run 3 yard outs, have passes sailed over your head, and block?

A team could have 20 wr on its roster but if the rest of the necessary requirements aren't in place it wouldn't matter.

Skipping the quality of the receiving corps for the moment, which is an issue by itself worth reviewing, there are critical factors that Iowa is lacking in to be effective even if they had half a dozen wr who were in the upper half of the league compared to their position peers.
If there isn't any improvement in the scheme, qb1 play, play calling, pass protection then what would change? Possibly an even larger issue in the background is the risk averse philosophy that seems to drive KF. If that stays the same, what's the likelihood the wr would be used well?

Sure, and I’m not defending anything here. Just pointing out that a year ago we had I think either 9 or 10 receivers on scholarship, 2 of whom left mid season, Tracy and Jones left after the season. And of course we’ve yet to have all 6 of the ones we do have dress for the same game.

Should have hit the transfer portal harder after losing 3 for sure, just saying that this wasn’t due to Iowa simply neglecting the position in recruiting. Some of it is simply bad luck that a lot of stuff happened all at once.

maybe the environment/offensive philosophy/lack of skill of the starting QB played a role in player's leaving? In the end, KF/BF are responsible for everything

Looking 4-5 years back when BF 1st started...there actually was promise. We had Alaric Jackson, Wirfs...two athletic guys at Tackle. We had broken through to Mississippi to bring in an overlooked stud WR. We had a burner out of New Jersey at WR. We had studs like Fant and Hockensen....and the its just been downhill ever since. Giving the keys to the offense for 3 years to Petras and chitty offensive player recruiting/retention got BF/KF to this current position.

Last edited:
Purdue asked us to only carry 6 WR so they all get some playing time and are easier to scout for transfer.
Our complex offense only needs a couple guys. It’s way too complicated for most players. Six yard down and in, TE in the flat, potential screen to a RB, handoff up the middle (or if we feel really crazy slip a RB off the tackle). My HS veer offense was more complicated. This is really something to watch.

Of the 16 commitments we have coming in next season......ZERO are listed as wide receiver.
So, if we have one or two decide to transfer out, looks like we will be running 3 and 4 TE split out running routes downfield. LOL!!!!!!

Alex Mota at least was recruited as a receiver, not sure about the rest of the class. Would be surprised if they don’t add at least 2 via either recruiting or transfer.

maybe the environment/offensive philosophy/lack of skill of the starting QB played a role in player's leaving? In the end, KF/BF are responsible for everything

Looking 4-5 years back when BF 1st started...there actually was promise. We had Alaric Jackson, Wirfs...two athletic guys at Tackle. We had broken through to Mississippi to bring in an overlooked stud WR. We had a burner out of New Jersey at WR. We had studs like Fant and Hockensen....and the its just been downhill ever since. Giving the keys to the offense for 3 years to Petras and chitty offensive player recruiting/retention got BF/KF to this current position.

I don’t disagree, just pointing that this is partly due to attrition and injuries hitting disproportionately at once, which can’t always be planned for. Normally the receiving room has always had 8-10 guys on scholarship. So going down to 6 was always dicey but doable since we don’t usually go more than 3 WRs at once, but then 5/6 got injured in fall camp, 3 of whom are still working their way back.

We need to put out at least 6 receivers per play.

Basically have two "main" receivers. One split left and one split right.

We then put extra receivers around each "main" receiver. One in front, one behind, and one down field of the "main" receiver.

It's impossible not to work, I ran the maths.

5o9uadgv80gb.gif

Why would any receiver worth a darn want to waste his time and talent in this antiquated offense? What is the coaching staff’s sales pitch: come to Iowa - you can run 3 yard outs, have passes sailed over your head, and block?
NFL wide receivers have to block sometimes. The Rams lined one up as a fullback last night. If Iowa is gonna run what they run, they should be putting a tight end in at fullback.

Of the 16 commitments we have coming in next season......ZERO are listed as wide receiver.
So, if we have one or two decide to transfer out, looks like we will be running 3 and 4 TE split out running routes downfield. LOL!!!!!!
It's comical how little they invest into the offense being successful. One POTENTIAL wide receiver in Mota. That's it. And why they're not throwing a few balls to Bostick is beyond me (I know I know - he must not have a grasp of the playbook yet).

The extremely high level of loyalty to guys just blows my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
It's comical how little they invest into the offense being successful. One POTENTIAL wide receiver in Mota. That's it. And why they're not throwing a few balls to Bostick is beyond me (I know I know - he must not have a grasp of the playbook yet).

The extremely high level of loyalty to guys just blows my mind.

1) Bostick hasn’t been healthy.
2) Iowa has typically averaged 2-3 receivers per class, meaning we normally have between 8-12 on paper.
3) we had only 6 due to transfers. It’s not like they forgot to recruit the position for a year.

And yes, would have been nice to land a transfer or two there, not sure how seriously they looked at it.

NFL wide receivers have to block sometimes. The Rams lined one up as a fullback last night. If Iowa is gonna run what they run, they should be putting a tight end in at fullback.
I've seen pottebaum line up as the 2nd tight end for whatever reason so I think they already are?

Six wide receivers. Two still with injuries in Vines and Johnson. One non playing freshmen a in Bostick. Leaving us three left. Most teams in the world of college football have at least ten. How about this: four less ol and four more WR's. 😎❤️🏈
Agree we don’t recruit well for WR’s and I don’t blame HS kids not wanting to come to a shit show with a QB that resembles a statue. Now a days kids are going with the trend in which has past by KF and BF… they want to go to these wide open offenses that are pass happy- I don’t blame them. Look at both Iowa and Wisconsin stumbling because of the lack of passing and talent at the WR .. SUCKKKKKKKKKS!

That is also a good point. Assuming Iowa continues its trend of just hoping someone decides to transfer to Iowa rather than actively going after players in the portal, next year could be just as bad AND we'll be breaking in a new QB assuming Petras takes his ball and goes home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT