ADVERTISEMENT

You get to pick a 5 star *****

not a 5* but DT Linderbaum is a US Army AA Game selection and considering how Wirfs and Epenesa were both US Army AA Game selections and are both playing as true FR. can't wait till he gets on Campus.

We are all excited for him Kilroy. If you could add a 5* anywhere on the feild what position would you pick? It isn't saying anything negative against the team man, just asking where you think would have the greatest impact.

Last edited:
You recruit to your scheme, you don't scheme to your recruits. You can game plan a little to your talent and strengths.

Yes but if you land a QB like Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, or Kelly Bryant you can and should fundamentally change your scheme. That's the type of player you build a team around. If you're still running a pro style run first offense with a QB like that you're just plain dumb.

A very talented elite QB is by far the biggest difference maker on the field. OP's question is a no brainer. You go with a 5***** dual threat QB.

We are all excited for him Kilroy. If you could add a 5* anywhere on the feild what position would you pick. It isn't saying anything negative against the team man, just asking where you think would have the greatest impact.
MLB would have the Biggest impact as he would control the middle of the field after that its any bodies guess or preference.

as for on offense KF would adjust for say a QB, just look who has come thru the program
Banks a mobile QB
Chandler a pure pocket QB
Tate a gunslinger
Jake was still the #2 dual threat QB in his class
Stanley pocket QB
Vandenberg pocket QB
JR a mobile QB as he left in 3rd place in rushing by a Iowa QB
CJ a mobile QB that got hurt
Stanley a pocket QB
KF is not as stubborn as poster make him out to be
2019 Max Duggan is a Dual Threat QB
KF will take any style QB and will adjust accordingly

Ok I th9nk we can all agree that if you were building a team from scratch the 5 star you would want would be a QB. But what would benefit Iowa the most?

Yes but if you land a QB like Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, or Kelly Bryant you can and should fundamentally change your scheme. That's the type of player you build a team around. If you're still running a pro style run first offense with a QB like that you're just plain dumb.

A very talented elite QB is by far the biggest difference maker on the field. OP's question is a no brainer. You go with a 5***** dual threat QB.
That's just not how it works but you don't seem interested in understanding so I won't waste my time. We'll just go with your theory that there are just a lot of dumb coaches and offensive coordinators then.

Muskie, while I would agree there are programs that the system is more important than the player( they tend to be systems that have alot of stud athletes) at Iowa if we were to get a "difference maker" at an and didn't mold the offense to thier strengths that would be horrible coaching. "You play to win the game" not to be right

Then again our coaches did have a heisman hopeful running back that could catch out of the back feild and play the slot and we proceeded to run him like a power so maybe our guys would stick to the script which is a giant kick in the face.

That's just not how it works but you don't seem interested in understanding so I won't waste my time. We'll just go with your theory that there are just a lot of dumb coaches and offensive coordinators then.

Lol ok well I know first hand that Ferentz has said to certain recruits quote "If you come to Iowa we'll build our offense around you." And that's at IOWA of all places where our coaches tend to be more conservative minded. Year after year you see dramatic changes in gameplan at other colleges and highschools to accomadate the skills of stud game changer QB's and RB's if they're lucky enough to have one on the roster.

So you are completely wrong, but it's ok. I'm just LOLing at the thought that people wouldn't want a Heisman trophy type dual threat QB on our team because it "doesn't fit out scheme"

Then again our coaches did have a heisman hopeful running back that could catch out of the back feild and play the slot and we proceeded to run him like a power so maybe our guys would stick to the script which is a giant kick in the face.
the coach to start the season had 2 solid RB's in Wadley the skat back and Butler the power back between the Tackles, Butler missed the key games vs PSU, MSU, NW and the coaches didn't have many options, and like you said Iowa had/has a Heisman hopeful in Wadley. to be considered for the Heisman he has to be able to run between the tackles as well as outside.

when you have a talented player you use him as often as you can that is GOOD COACHING, you just don't pick and choose where or how.THAT IS BAD COACHING.

False. How many times does Barkley run between the tackles? Wads could have been used kind of like him or as I think of it a "poor man's Reggie Bush." (I consider that a solid complement) Being a good coach is putting your guys in a position to succeed. Are you sure you coached? The whole give it to your best player schtict screams 3rd grade football. Don't worry about it though this is a good convo. I hold strong that if we woke up tomorrow and got the best of the best 5 star player of any position, I would want the baddest linebacker you could make. I understand the QB thing and that would be my pick for a general team but Iowa needs a line backer more than the difference a QB would make. Imo.

Lol ok well I know first hand that Ferentz has said to certain recruits quote "If you come to Iowa we'll build our offense around you." And that's at IOWA of all places where our coaches tend to be more conservative minded. Year after year you see dramatic changes in gameplan at other colleges and highschools to accomadate the skills of stud game changer QB's and RB's if they're lucky enough to have one on the roster.

So you are completely wrong, but it's ok. I'm just LOLing at the thought that people wouldn't want a Heisman trophy type dual threat QB on our team because it "doesn't fit out scheme"
You know 'first hand'??? Please, do tell. You're full of it, but you're entertaining (sometimes). Which player have we changed our scheme for? Did Iowa offer any of these QB's that have been mentioned? Do they hardly EVER offer d/t QB's? No, because they don't fit our scheme. Just like NW doesn't offer prostyle QB;s etc....

getting back to a 5* recruit, most teams don't get all 5*'s the next option is to fill in with 4* players and right now these are the 5* and 4* players on the team by different sites
5* DE Epenesa
4* DT Lattimore by Scout
4* CB turned LB Colbert by Scout
4* RT Wirfs
4* C Daniels
4* OL Levi Paulsen by Scout
4* OL Landon Paulson by Scout
4* QB Wiegers
4* QB Stanley by Scout
4* RB Akinrabi by Scout
4* TE Wisinski by ESPN
other than Wisinski everybody else returns
in the 2018 class these are the 4* players that have committed
4* CB Brents
4* OL Jenkins by the 247 sports board but not the composite

with maybe Waggoner and Taylor being added. the talent level is improving. this season is just the tip of the growth.

I want to say Iowa has actually recruited ALOT of dt/qb they just don't end up so dt/qb. Guys like mcnutt. I could be wrong though.

You know 'first hand'??? Please, do tell. You're full of it, but you're entertaining (sometimes). Which player have we changed our scheme for? Did Iowa offer any of these QB's that have been mentioned? Do they hardly EVER offer d/t QB's? No, because they don't fit our scheme. Just like NW doesn't offer prostyle QB;s etc....
you just exposed yourself as the ultimate know nothing loud mouth.
Banks was a mobile QB
Tate was a mobile QB
Jake C was the #2 Dual Threat QB in his class in 2005 the year that that class was rated #11
Chandler was a Pocket passer
Stanzi was a Pockett passer
Vandenberg was a Pocket passer
JR was a mobile QB and is in 3rd place in rushing by a Iowa QB right be Banks at #2
CJ was a mobile QB until he was hurt
Stanley is a pocket passer
Duggan in the 2019 class is a Dual Threat QB.

so your post is a complete lie.

Reactions: speed4power

Yep, Ferentz said to Jay Scheel quote "If you come to Iowa we will build our offense around you." So you are dead wrong, this stuff does happen. Granted Jay didn't pan out partly due to injuries, and he was a 4**** athlete, not a 5***** QB.

And where you are most wrong is with the fundamental premise of the question. The question is presuming that said player essentially lands in your lap. We don't have to struggle recruiting them to come to a pro style program.

If Iowa was handed a Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Kelly Bryant, Marcus Marriotta, RG3, etc YOU TAKE IT OVER ANY OTHER POSITION no questions asked. You don't say "oh we are going to pass up this Heisman candidate because we want a DT." LOL! I can't believe I am even having this debate.

Speed you just changed the question slightly but I like it. In my small brain I'm thinking 5 star but still "human" but in the original thing I said "best of the best" and that could actually be a heisman guy. Touche sir. Yes. 5 star qb for 4 years.

Reactions: speed4power
1. 5 star boosters with piles of cash
2. 5 star fans at a very high positions in the police department and court system
3. 5 star coaches willing to do whatever it takes to win.

MLB would have the Biggest impact as he would control the middle of the field after that its any bodies guess or preference.

as for on offense KF would adjust for say a QB, just look who has come thru the program
Banks a mobile QB
Chandler a pure pocket QB
Tate a gunslinger
Jake was still the #2 dual threat QB in his class
Stanley pocket QB
Vandenberg pocket QB
JR a mobile QB as he left in 3rd place in rushing by a Iowa QB
CJ a mobile QB that got hurt
Stanley a pocket QB
KF is not as stubborn as poster make him out to be
2019 Max Duggan is a Dual Threat QB
KF will take any style QB and will adjust accordingly
Duggan is rated as a Pro-Style QB by Rivals and not a Dual Threat. KF is stubborn whether you want to see it or not.
How long did it take him to get Banks on the field? A year
How long did it take him to get JC off the field and Stanzi on the field, WAY TOO LONG.

If I had my choice between Brian Urlacher and Deshaun Watson, I know who I'd take.

1. RB - recruiting services usually don’t miss on these highly rated guys. They aren’t busts.
2. LB - don’t recall Iowa getting many 4 stars or better at this position.
3. OL - these highly rated guys usually turn into 3+ year starters at Iowa

Duggan is rated as a Pro-Style QB by Rivals and not a Dual Threat. KF is stubborn whether you want to see it or not.
How long did it take him to get JC off the field and Stanzi on the field, WAY TOO LONG.
247 lists Duggan as a DUAL Threat QB, plus they rate him a 4*.

I get it and most on here get it you hate KF and want him fired.

after suffering through all the drops...Give me two 2.5 stars who can catch the dam ball......wait, on second thought, don't we already have some of those....they just aren't on the field.

Not a specific player but a position to come into the 2018 class. Where do you think we would benefit most from a "stud" joining the lineup?

I think most people will say WR and that's pry a decent pick maybe another DE and crush people from the outsides? RB? Maybe you think a 5 star dual threat qb would indeed stanley and open up the offense. Me: give me the nastiest 5 star linebacker I can get. In my head "5 star" means freak athlete and ready to play day 1 and I believe that would be the best choice going into 17. What say you?
This team needs another CB that can consistently get pick 6’s. If we pair him up with Jackson we could generate enough points to win more games.

after suffering through all the drops...Give me two 2.5 stars who can catch the dam ball......wait, on second thought, don't we already have some of those....they just aren't on the field.
Vandeberg was a 2* and last I saw he was on the field, Easley was/is a walk on and is leading the team in receptions 46 yards 481 and 4 TD's. last season the leading receiver thru 13 games was walk on McCarron with 42 catches for 517 yards and 4 TD's
TE Kittle had 22 catches for 315 yards and 4 TD's
Fant has 25 catches for 370 yards and 7 TD's thru 11 games. last season CJ's final stats
1929 yards 17 TD's and 10 INT's
Stanley thru 11 games 2146 yards 23 TD's and just 6 INT's

Wadley thru 13 games had 1081 yards rushing and 315 yards receiving for a total of 1396 yards
thru 11 games
862 yards rushing and 321 yards receiving for 1183 total yards.
Wadley has already passed last seasons receiving yards with 2 games to go. he can also pass the rushing and total yards marks that he had last season.

Vandy, Easley, mac. Those are 3 "nice" "slot" receivers. This team and staff are severely lacking in thier ability to get what I would call an "x" receiver.

ADVERTISEMENT