ADVERTISEMENT

You Guys Know Your Seating Capacity Yet?

Ah, the old, "Hospitals are full!" stuff. Except...at least where I live (Orlando area)...it never happened. In fact, it never happened in Florida.

"Sadly reasonable". Wow, nice turn of phrase. Especially when we were told--shortly after the POTUS at the time was called a xenophobe and racist for imposing various travel bans, while "opponents" were partying in Chinatown--that there would be 2 million deaths. Again, it never happened.

COVID-19 wasn't a hoax. The POLITICIZATION of it, however, has been a hoax on the grandest scale.
A few points ...

• Just because it didn't saturate your local hospitals doesn't imply that it didn't deleteriously impact others. That's like folks who argue that there isn't global warming just because they still get cold weather in their local climate. The fact that the situation is/was serious and should be treated as such - there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Many folks "politicized" that COVID was no worse than the flu. However, standard estimates for dead arising from the flu are in the ball-park of around 35k deaths ... of course, those numbers are highly disputed by anti-vaxxers.
  • Original projections suggested that we could face 200k deaths ... and many folks clamored about that number being a gross overestimate. We're long past that value!
  • 2 million being an overestimate ... let's hope so! This thing isn't over yet. There are still large pockets of the population who aren't being vaccinated. Let's hope that the R0 value gets pushed down low enough so that their foolishness doesn't kill unnecessarily many people.
  • Is it not hyperbole to say "hoax" when you actually probably mean "exaggeration?" However, again, 600k and counting dead ... that hardly seems like something that is an exaggerated concern.
  • If you want to speak of an exaggerated concern ... many folks don't hesitate to exaggerate their fears about deleterious consequences of immigrants flocking to this country. The REAL fear for the common man relates to the availability of good-paying jobs. In the short-term, large fluxes of unskilled laborers can transiently saturate some labor-markets ... thereby depressing wages. Hence the existence of memes (like those from South Park) stating to the effect ... "dey took err jerbs!" Of course, citizens of this great country have many resources at their disposal to get retrained ... and exploit other niches in the labor-market. In fact, population stagnation often suppresses economic growth because growth is often predicated upon number of consumers. So if the economic angle doesn't support a position ... then folks who exaggerate then turn to painting immigrants as criminals. As you rightly pointed out - people do and will politicize things to exploit fear.

Any dangers posed by immigration to this country are dwarfed by those posed by a global pandemic. And yet you're suggesting that the politicization surrounding the global pandemic has been a hoax. Would you then also acknowledge that the politicization surrounding immigration is also a "hoax?"

Iowa City, Coralville, the University of Iowa including the hospitals and clinics have all dumped the mask mandate. Kinnick will be no mask 100% capacity and rocking.

Reactions: Packer54
I'd be surprised if any team isn't full capacity. Politics aside, people are fed up with restrictions.

People are fed up but university president's like Holloway at Rutgers are not. Our spring game is tonight. 54,000 seat stadium and he is allowing 5,000 people...even our shitty governor says we can have 50% at a stadium right now. No bags allowed because they are trying to keep security from having to interact with fans more than necessary (I swear, I have that in writing from my ticket rep), no tailgating allowed, opening the parking lots only 1 hour before the game to avoid tailgating, and I believe masks are required in your seat..outside...in your pod of 2/3/4 people...separated from everyone else by 6 feet.

While the rumor is we will be at full capacity come September I'm still not convinced he will allow it.

Reactions: Franisdaman
A few points ...

• Just because it didn't saturate your local hospitals doesn't imply that it didn't deleteriously impact others. That's like folks who argue that there isn't global warming just because they still get cold weather in their local climate. The fact that the situation is/was serious and should be treated as such - there is nothing wrong with that.
  • Many folks "politicized" that COVID was no worse than the flu. However, standard estimates for dead arising from the flu are in the ball-park of around 35k deaths ... of course, those numbers are highly disputed by anti-vaxxers.
  • Original projections suggested that we could face 200k deaths ... and many folks clamored about that number being a gross overestimate. We're long past that value!
  • 2 million being an overestimate ... let's hope so! This thing isn't over yet. There are still large pockets of the population who aren't being vaccinated. Let's hope that the R0 value gets pushed down low enough so that their foolishness doesn't kill unnecessarily many people.
  • Is it not hyperbole to say "hoax" when you actually probably mean "exaggeration?" However, again, 600k and counting dead ... that hardly seems like something that is an exaggerated concern.
  • If you want to speak of an exaggerated concern ... many folks don't hesitate to exaggerate their fears about deleterious consequences of immigrants flocking to this country. The REAL fear for the common man relates to the availability of good-paying jobs. In the short-term, large fluxes of unskilled laborers can transiently saturate some labor-markets ... thereby depressing wages. Hence the existence of memes (like those from South Park) stating to the effect ... "dey took err jerbs!" Of course, citizens of this great country have many resources at their disposal to get retrained ... and exploit other niches in the labor-market. In fact, population stagnation often suppresses economic growth because growth is often predicated upon number of consumers. So if the economic angle doesn't support a position ... then folks who exaggerate then turn to painting immigrants as criminals. As you rightly pointed out - people do and will politicize things to exploit fear.

Any dangers posed by immigration to this country are dwarfed by those posed by a global pandemic. And yet you're suggesting that the politicization surrounding the global pandemic has been a hoax. Would you then also acknowledge that the politicization surrounding immigration is also a "hoax?"
Boy, that last paragraph is a beaut. Standard fare from the prog/left, I'll grant you, but a beaut nonetheless. Global warming? Climate change? Immigration? Going for a record in one post of non-related material to back the original spurious claim?

Reactions: BtwelveChamps
Boy, that last paragraph is a beaut. Standard fare from the prog/left, I'll grant you, but a beaut nonetheless. Global warming? Climate change? Immigration? Going for a record in one post of non-related material to back the original spurious claim?
But notice that you don't have a retort of content. Notice, you deflect and attempt to trivialize the connections drawn (by linking them to being prog/left) ... rather than addressing the content they possess.

Deflection is not a "stance." Rather than blindly believing something ... as if it were a religion. Try thinking for a change.

Iowa City, Coralville, the University of Iowa including the hospitals and clinics have all dumped the mask mandate. Kinnick will be no mask 100% capacity and rocking.
was never gonna be masks enforced. not possible with 70k people and eating and drinking. they didnt even enforce at spring practice

But notice that you don't have a retort of content. Notice, you deflect and attempt to trivialize the connections drawn (by linking them to being prog/left) ... rather than addressing the content they possess.

Deflection is not a "stance." Rather than blindly believing something ... as if it were a religion. Try thinking for a change.
I simply don't want to get into a debate loaded with links, counter links, etc.

The fact is, a fraud was perpetrated on this country. You obviously agreed with it, or were part of it, for all I know. The virus is real. The politicization of it was the "hoax".

The fact remains: we never approached 2 million deaths in the US, Fauci and crew moved the bars and goal posts almost daily, and most of the data the media gave has been refuted.

Things like treating with HCQ (refuted, but now KNOWN to be effective); Fauci saying as late as 3/6/2020 that Americans didn't need to wear masks or alter their behavior; the continual coverups from NY State, Michigan, and even CA to manipulate data; the intentional changes in test cycles--in some places THREE times the normal test cycle--to generate more positive tests. I won't even go into "relief" spending that has nothing to do with COVID "relief", let alone anything remotely "medical". I'll ignore the media manipulation. Hell, I'll even ignore the heads lodged firmly in the sand when better facts come forth.

BTW, Fauci's latest comedy line: he can't rule out that COVID might have been "created" or "not naturally occurring".

You seem to think this has all been above-board. I disagree.

More good news from ESPN.com:

All but 2 NFL teams have now received approval from state and local governments to open their stadiums at full capacity when games resume.

Beyond those 28 stadiums that already have approval, the league also "feels good about the path" for the Indianapolis Colts and Denver Broncos, who are still working with their local contacts to receive final authorization, according to Peter O'Reilly, the NFL's executive vice president of club business and league events.

UIHC has certainly not dropped their mask mandate, even as of today, it remains in effect.

I simply don't want to get into a debate loaded with links, counter links, etc.

The fact is, a fraud was perpetrated on this country. You obviously agreed with it, or were part of it, for all I know. The virus is real. The politicization of it was the "hoax".

The fact remains: we never approached 2 million deaths in the US, Fauci and crew moved the bars and goal posts almost daily, and most of the data the media gave has been refuted.

Things like treating with HCQ (refuted, but now KNOWN to be effective); Fauci saying as late as 3/6/2020 that Americans didn't need to wear masks or alter their behavior; the continual coverups from NY State, Michigan, and even CA to manipulate data; the intentional changes in test cycles--in some places THREE times the normal test cycle--to generate more positive tests. I won't even go into "relief" spending that has nothing to do with COVID "relief", let alone anything remotely "medical". I'll ignore the media manipulation. Hell, I'll even ignore the heads lodged firmly in the sand when better facts come forth.

BTW, Fauci's latest comedy line: he can't rule out that COVID might have been "created" or "not naturally occurring".

You seem to think this has all been above-board. I disagree.

Occam's razor. Lab playing with viruses attempting to get them to mutate to spread from animal to human. Virus shows up near lab. Naaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can't be that it escaped from the lab. No one says it was intentional, but goddamn it is the most likely place it came from.

Occam's razor. Lab playing with viruses attempting to get them to mutate to spread from animal to human. Virus shows up near lab. Naaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can't be that it escaped from the lab. No one says it was intentional, but goddamn it is the most likely place it came from.
And now we hear it not only wasn't in any bats collected, they injected it into bats and it didn't "take". That actually kinda scares me.

I have to say that i am surprised the Minnesota Twins are only allowing 20% of capacity (8,000 of 40,000).

If they wanted, they could operate at full capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT