ADVERTISEMENT

You guys who say "Only Vote Democrat" better start voting for the RIGHT one

strummingram

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2010
I didn't research this, but it was an interesting meme. Democrats can NEVER be bought-off. Only Republicans, right?

21752102_10209888806313146_8917443260083891380_n.jpg

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Let's ban large scale donations, overturn Citizens United, then move to more publicly funded elections then. Deal?

I think we all agree on that but that isn't the point Strum is making. If you are going to outright vilify one group for these types of behavior then you need to treat the other side in the exact same manner bc if you don't what does your voice really matter? At that point you are essentially just a shill or the Democrat or Republican party and you are no different than IowaNiceGuyHawk or whatever.

Are you winning by voting for people who are on someone else's payroll?

Personally, I don't care who you vote for. I just find it funny when hardcore partisans bullshit themselves.

They are essentially just posers who don't know it yet.

Reactions: DanL53

Personally, I don't care who you vote for. I just find it funny when hardcore partisans bullshit themselves.
Someone doesn't know how congress works. The most corrupt D is preferable to the most honest R. Because that whore of a democrat will allow the bills that secure healthcare to pass.

Last edited:
They are essentially just posers who don't know it yet.
And, don't misunderstand me; I don't believe Republicans are going to deliver on shit either. They won't!

Again, I find it interesting how people put their futures and faith in people who are for sale to the highest bidder and don't give a shit about them. They're like... preachers and priests!

Both sides vote for what best either hurts the other side or helps them. Either side rarely does what's best for the country as a whole. They both have their keepers.
That's just a position you adopt to assuage your conscience. It has no merit. There are real and significant differences that matter. By voting 3rd party you are abducating your duty to pick the best option. And you do it just so you can absolve yourself of responsibility and pretend you are pure.

Last edited:

I don't really follow your line of reasoning here. If I wanted universal healthcare the smartest thing to do would be to vote for a Democrat in the general election -- because they're the only ones who want universal healthcare. Maybe my guy ends up letting me down, but it would be silly to vote any way other than the way that provides my best chance of getting what I want.

Besides, there are a lot of issues and each party has a platform that covers those issues. If I don't vote for the party whose platform most closely aligns with mine, what would your suggestion be? Disenfranchise myself? I'd say my best bet is to be active in primary elections, so that my party nominates the right candidate. Or, if you live in an area where your party can't possibly win, be active in the other party's primaries to try to get the best option. I'm not marrying people I vote for, I'm trying to be strategic in getting the people most likely to represent my interests.

I think we all agree on that but that isn't the point Strum is making. If you are going to outright vilify one group for these types of behavior then you need to treat the other side in the exact same manner bc if you don't what does your voice really matter? At that point you are essentially just a shill or the Democrat or Republican party and you are no different than IowaNiceGuyHawk or whatever.

No you don't. You need to pay attention to how they vote.

That's just a position you adopt to assuage your conscience. It has no merit. There are real and significant differences that matter. By voting 3rd party you are abducating your duty to pick the best option. And you do it just so you can absolve yourself of responsibility and pretend you are pure.

At one point most people thought slavery would be allowed forever as well. Break free from your two party chains @naturalmwa , it starts with a small movement and picks up steam from there.

At one point most people thought slavery would be allowed forever as well. Break free from your two party chains @naturalmwa , it starts with a small movement and picks up steam from there.
Slavery was ended by working within the system, just like everything else. Join the fight or get lost.

I don't really follow your line of reasoning here. If I wanted universal healthcare the smartest thing to do would be to vote for a Democrat in the general election --

What if you just want independent thinking and collaborations not at a team level but at a individual bi-partisan level? Real problem solving that isn't meant to also server a political purpose but instead meant to solve a issues for citizens of this great country? Because that doesn't exist today.

Reactions: Chuck C and DanL53
What if you just want independent thinking and collaborations not at a team level but at a individual bi-partisan level? Real problem solving that isn't meant to also server a political purpose but instead meant to solve a issues for citizens of this great country? Because that doesn't exist today.
Move. Individuals getting together to cut the parties out is what they have in Russia. Parties protect the people.

Besides ...these dems are idiots who do not understand how insurance works,.if they get medicare for all, insurance companies shall go wild selling everyone a medicare supplement ( i think bern wanted medicare for all didn't. he?)

I don't really follow your line of reasoning here. If I wanted universal healthcare the smartest thing to do would be to vote for a Democrat in the general election -- because they're the only ones who want universal healthcare. Maybe my guy ends up letting me down, but it would be silly to vote any way other than the way that provides my best chance of getting what I want.

Besides, there are a lot of issues and each party has a platform that covers those issues. If I don't vote for the party whose platform most closely aligns with mine, what would your suggestion be? Disenfranchise myself? I'd say my best bet is to be active in primary elections, so that my party nominates the right candidate. Or, if you live in an area where your party can't possibly win, be active in the other party's primaries to try to get the best option. I'm not marrying people I vote for, I'm trying to be strategic in getting the people most likely to represent my interests.
Unless you and the rest of the electorate can outbid Pfizer, Burroughs-Wellcome, and endless insurance companies, then these people you're voting for are basically lip-service, token votes that are satisfying your ego. These people are beholden to hundreds of special interest money... period.

Reactions: Chuck C and unIowa
Slavery was ended by working within the system, just like everything else. Join the fight or get lost.
That system and this system are not the same system. Well, the "system" is technically the same, but now it's been bought-off and the electorate don't really count. Truth be told, they didn't count then either!

And, bottom line, it's pretty obvious that your Democrat buddies are gladly willing to sell their opinion and vote. Unless you can find a lot more Bernie's, your "working within the system" will accomplish lining the politician's pocket and whoever bought them. Bernie is no Democrat.

Reactions: unIowa and DanL53

Unless you and the rest of the electorate can outbid Pfizer, Burroughs-Wellcome, and endless insurance companies, then these people you're voting for are basically lip-service, token votes that are satisfying your ego. These people are beholden to hundreds of special interest money... period.

You're the one who seems ego driven. I'm being strategic. I haven't seen you offer an alternate strategy. You just criticize everyone who votes.

That system and this system are not the same system. Well, the "system" is technically the same, but now it's been bought-off and the electorate don't really count. Truth be told, they didn't count then either!

And, bottom line, it's pretty obvious that your Democrat buddies are gladly willing to sell their opinion and vote. Unless you can find a lot more Bernie's, your "working within the system" will accomplish lining the politician's pocket and whoever bought them. Bernie is no Democrat.

The ACA was pretty radical at the time, but Dems got it through. You think we won't eventually have universal care? I believe we will, and I know it's the Democratic Party that will usher it in, the same way they usher in every progressive measure.

Some politicians are better than others, and one party is better than the other. Making false equivalency claims is intellectually lazy.

Your thinking is confused. You start by claiming the system is different only to conclude it's the same. Be like Bernie, he knows he must be on the inside to move the needle. Outsiders never count.

Reactions: artradley
Get involved in the primary process. The OP is exactly right, we could use some more leaders who are not paid in varying degrees by big interests.

We get to pick them.

Reactions: artradley
But we don't all agree on this.

You serious with this? You really believe universal care is more likely under the Republicans?

Reactions: naturalmwa
You serious with this? You really believe universal care is more likely under the Republicans?
That's not the fvcking point. The point is, it's not likely because your beloved politicians (BOTH PARTIES) are bought-off.

You people act like it's some shocking surprise that politicians are liars and panderers.

At the very LEAST, make sure the people in the OP are not re-elected!

Reactions: unIowa
Your thinking is confused. You start by claiming the system is different only to conclude it's the same. Be like Bernie, he knows he must be on the inside to move the needle. Outsiders never count.
I mean, the way it is designed to work (supposed to work) has been hijacked and undermined. At least the Abolitionists had the initiative to create/back a new party to get noticed.

Reactions: unIowa
That's not the fvcking point. The point is, it's not likely because your beloved politicians (BOTH PARTIES) are bought-off.

You people act like it's some shocking surprise that politicians are liars and panderers.

Well duh. When the Republicans change the rules, of course the Dems will alter their strategy. You really expect the Dems to go into every election getting smoked by money?

Like it or not, only one side opposes United. And it sure isn't the Rs. You want money out of politics? Vote Democratic. It's your only chance.

And, don't misunderstand me; I don't believe Republicans are going to deliver on shit either. They won't!

Again, I find it interesting how people put their futures and faith in people who are for sale to the highest bidder and don't give a shit about them. They're like... preachers and priests!
I don't get this argument. Conservatives changed the rules to allow unlimited donations which was roundly supported by the Rs and roundly rejected bt the Ds, yet the Dems are the ones to be shamed for fighting the new rules before eventually playing by them so not to fall behind?

I can't vote against the guys who aren't in my state or district. And all of those guys are way more likely to eventually come on board than any Republican who runs against them. That's why it's better to be sober and strategic.

And as Dan points out -- vote in the primaries.

Well duh. When the Republicans change the rules, of course the Dems will alter their strategy. You really expect the Dems to go into every election getting smoked by money?

Like it or not, only one side opposes United. And it sure isn't the Rs. You want money out of politics? Vote Democratic. It's your only chance.
u think united is the only way to buy off people?

ADVERTISEMENT