ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2017 B1G Conference Baseball Champions!: the IOWA Hawkeyes!

Always a great day when Iowa tops the conference in a competition. Always. I had to listen on the radio (I've cut-the-cord). Sounds like the homer in 6th or 7th was a SHOT. Started in the park and landed in the homeless tent city a few block away. Go Hawks!

Always a great day when Iowa tops the conference in a competition. Always. I had to listen on the radio (I've cut-the-cord). Sounds like the homer in 6th or 7th was a SHOT. Started in the park and landed in the homeless tent city a few block away. Go Hawks!

Get play station Vue. $35 a month , 50 channels includes BTN

Reactions: cigaretteman

The shot in the 7th was an absolute bomb.

He hit a second one (not as far) in the 8th.

It'll be tough, but they really had to win the tournament to get into the playoffs. Their RPI was around 80 I believe at the end of the season.

Great job by Heller and the Hawks to get in!

I agree. This team is a lot of fun to watch and they've got a great mix of talent. Wishing them the best. Hopefully they get a favorable regional draw to start with.

We get the auto-bid. Go HAWKS! Is there a way for a Big Ten baseball team to make waves in the CWS? The best talent should head south for school if they want to play baseball for a career. You go to school if you think it will help you improve your draft position after your first draft.

Does this mean they are going to Omaha?

We get the auto-bid. Go HAWKS! Is there a way for a Big Ten baseball team to make waves in the CWS? The best talent should head south for school if they want to play baseball for a career. You go to school if you think it will help you improve your draft position after your first draft.

First we have to win a Regional, double elimination best of four between let's say North Carolina, Davidson, us and Yale. Then we have to win a super-regional, two out of three, against let's say Miami. Then, then, we get into the CWS.

Fun to watch. I will day Saturday nights game was at a snails pace. Just brutally slow. No way to I sit through all of that if there was no Iowa ties.

First we have to win a Regional, double elimination best of four between let's say North Carolina, Davidson, us and Yale. Then we have to win a super-regional, two out of three, against let's say Miami. Then, then, we get into the CWS.

This. This just gets them into the NCAA tournament. They'd then have to win a regional and then a super regional to get to Omaha. Omaha is essentially the elite eight.

I knew this got them in the tourney. My question was broader, I guess. The Big Ten is a bad conference for baseball. Most of the talent goes south because they can train/play all year and they're not doing homestands in Sioux City the first weekend of March. Is there a path for a Big Ten program to make waves nationally in college baseball?

Bi1G has been historically weak but the conference is improving little by little as schools invest in the programs. The B1G will probably get 4 teams in this year. Getting to Omaha will be a challenge like always due to the plethora of talent in the south and west.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Bi1G has been historically weak but the conference is improving little by little as schools invest in the programs. The B1G will probably get 4 teams in this year. Getting to Omaha will be a challenge like always due to the plethora of talent in the south and west.

This. It's still not a power conference, but it's much improved over the last decade. Gone are the days when the B1G only got its obligatory one team into the NCAA tournament. Ever since Indiana made it to Omaha with Schwarber, the B1G has been a competative conference.

Last edited:
Coach Heller said it best today. The ultimate goal is to become a program that regularly makes regionals. You want to make them as an at-large, that way you don't have to worry about winning the conference tournament as nice as it is. I hope Coach Heller accomplishes his goal of that. That is the next step IMO, that and winning a regular season crown.

Then hopefully we catch some magic or get hot at some point and make a super regional and then we'll see what happens. It's going to be tough sledding in Houston, but you never really know.

This. It's still not a power conference, but it's much improved over the last decade. Gone are the days when the B1G only got its obligatory team into the NCAA tournament. Ever since Indiana made it to Omaha with Schwarber, the B1G has been a competative conference.

Coach Heller said it best today. The ultimate goal is to become a program that regularly makes regionals. You want to make them as an at-large, that way you don't have to worry about winning the conference tournament as nice as it is. I hope Coach Heller accomplishes his goal of that. That is the next step IMO, that and winning a regular season crown.

Then hopefully we catch some magic or get hot at some point and make a super regional and then we'll see what happens. It's going to be tough sledding in Houston, but you never really know.

How are they possibly justifying us as being only a 4 seed after the way we ended this season? Seems like BS to me.

Iowa is the tournament champions, not the conference champions (which is the regular season). Let's not be Iowa State bball fans and pretend the tournament champion = conference champion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT