ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2022-2023 Starting Hawk Lineup and how will they do:

MSU158

HR Heisman
Nov 20, 2014
I really want to work on my Likes to Posts ratio and I think this is the type of topic to get this DONE!

With the recent addition of Teske, I am ready to make some bold predictions. I admittedly think PSU is just too far ahead to catch, but I now believe Iowa can hold off ASU and tOSU for 2nd.

125: Lee I can't wait to see this guy finish out his career in top fashion. I have a hard time seeing anyone go 7 minutes with him. 1st place-28 points

133: Teske I like Schriever, but I gotta go with Teske having the stones to come to Iowa knowing what will need to be done to be the man. 7th place-8.5 pts

141: Woods This kid is really hard to score on. A 3-2 loss to Nick Lee confirms that. With a little TNT coach-up, he is the man to beat. 1st place-22 points

149: Murin Is it wrong of me to want him to finish R12 again, simply because I like uniformity? Honestly, I really want to see him AA, but I see R12 again. R12-4 points

157: Reyna I just can't see anyone scoring points at NCAA's. Hopefully someone proves themselves during the season and then proves me wrong in March. (0-2)-Zero points

165: Kennedy Brutal weight, but this kid wrestles kind of brutal to begin with. This weight is so stacked, that I can't pick him to finish higher than the Bull ever did. 7th place-8 points

174: Brands If he could wrestle the way he climbs mountains, he would be a surefire AA. But, for now, R12 is all I can predict. R12-3 points

184: Assad He shows some very nice flashes. But, I need to see more consistency. Especially in March. R16-2.5 points

197: Warner I like this guy. He has become my favorite wrestler on the team. Hate his style all you want, with the Ford Focus set for Prison, this is your NCAA Champ! 1st place-22 points

285: Cass Please tell me last year's injury was minor and he comes back 100%. If so, and Gable is back wrestling, he is the 2nd best guy at the weight if he can learn how to beat Parris. 3rd for now-17.5 points

So, that is 115.5. Pretty damn good in most years. But, PSU is almost certainly getting 100+ from RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean and Kerkvliet. They aren't going to get 5 AA's from their young, unproven guys, but at least 1 of them will AA and they will get a bonus win or 2 from the rest. I just don't see them scoring under 120 when the rubber hits the road.

As far as the race for 2nd goes, ASU is tough as nails, but I don't see a Champ on that team. 6 or 7 mid level AA's is enough to get the a Team Trophy, but I just don't see them scoring over 100. tOSU is the true Wild Card. Ryan has gone on record as saying he will put his best guy(with the exception of Feldman) on the mat, regardless of age. He truly thinks they have a shot at winning it all.

I have to admit, this lineup has the potential to be a monster:

125: Heinselman
133: Bouzakis
141: D'Emilio
149: Sasso
157: Gallagher
165: Kharchla
174: Smith
184: Romero
197: Hoffman
285: Orndorff

Thoughts? Don't forget to click on the like button ;)

Enjoyed your analysis. Please share your prediction of the score of the Hawkeyes vs Iowa State match up this year. :)

If we have someone qualify at 157, I think they will have improved enough to at least win one match. Warner will have to prove it all over again, hard to win two matches in a row without getting a takedown, but you'd love to see him get another chance at the finals. Otherwise, pretty good predictions.

If we have someone qualify at 157, I think they will have improved enough to at least win one match. Warner will have to prove it all over again, hard to win two matches in a row without getting a takedown, but you'd love to see him get another chance at the finals. Otherwise, pretty good predictions.
157 doesn’t look very strong this year either, so I could see that.

Stupid question/thought. Lee to 133? Would that help balance anything?

Stupid question/thought. Lee to 133? Would that help balance anything?
Nope. Lee is about as sure of a thing as it gets at 125 and should score a bunch of bonus. It’s too close to the season for him to build to 133 if he hasn’t been trying to. Plus, RBY and Fix with a significant size advantage would be difficult. Meanwhile, Ayala isn’t really likely to score more at 125 than Teske or Schreiver at 133.

From a strictly selfish for the best matches perspective, Lee at 133 could be awesome. But, it wouldn’t be best for the team.

Reactions: vhsalum and NutZac
I really want to work on my Likes to Posts ratio and I think this is the type of topic to get this DONE!

With the recent addition of Teske, I am ready to make some bold predictions. I admittedly think PSU is just too far ahead to catch, but I now believe Iowa can hold off ASU and tOSU for 2nd.

125: Lee I can't wait to see this guy finish out his career in top fashion. I have a hard time seeing anyone go 7 minutes with him. 1st place-28 points

133: Teske I like Schriever, but I gotta go with Teske having the stones to come to Iowa knowing what will need to be done to be the man. 7th place-8.5 pts

141: Woods This kid is really hard to score on. A 3-2 loss to Nick Lee confirms that. With a little TNT coach-up, he is the man to beat. 1st place-22 points

149: Murin Is it wrong of me to want him to finish R12 again, simply because I like uniformity? Honestly, I really want to see him AA, but I see R12 again. R12-4 points

157: Reyna I just can't see anyone scoring points at NCAA's. Hopefully someone proves themselves during the season and then proves me wrong in March. (0-2)-Zero points

165: Kennedy Brutal weight, but this kid wrestles kind of brutal to begin with. This weight is so stacked, that I can't pick him to finish higher than the Bull ever did. 7th place-8 points

174: Brands If he could wrestle the way he climbs mountains, he would be a surefire AA. But, for now, R12 is all I can predict. R12-3 points

184: Assad He shows some very nice flashes. But, I need to see more consistency. Especially in March. R16-2.5 points

197: Warner I like this guy. He has become my favorite wrestler on the team. Hate his style all you want, with the Ford Focus set for Prison, this is your NCAA Champ! 1st place-22 points

285: Cass Please tell me last year's injury was minor and he comes back 100%. If so, and Gable is back wrestling, he is the 2nd best guy at the weight if he can learn how to beat Parris. 3rd for now-17.5 points

So, that is 115.5. Pretty damn good in most years. But, PSU is almost certainly getting 100+ from RBY, Starocci, Brooks, Dean and Kerkvliet. They aren't going to get 5 AA's from their young, unproven guys, but at least 1 of them will AA and they will get a bonus win or 2 from the rest. I just don't see them scoring under 120 when the rubber hits the road.

As far as the race for 2nd goes, ASU is tough as nails, but I don't see a Champ on that team. 6 or 7 mid level AA's is enough to get the a Team Trophy, but I just don't see them scoring over 100. tOSU is the true Wild Card. Ryan has gone on record as saying he will put his best guy(with the exception of Feldman) on the mat, regardless of age. He truly thinks they have a shot at winning it all.

I’m taking PK as a top 5 guy; I think he really brings it and finishes 4th.

Dude’s a stud, no doubt. But, 165 is a meat grinder and The Bull couldn’t take better than 5th. I would be happy with 7th and another year to build confidence off AAing in that field…
The Bull just couldn’t make it happen at NCAAs but could always bring it the rest of the time. I think PK will be a step above the Bull in the NCAAs every year even with the studs at 65. I see issues with Stan, Mizz, and maybe Wisc, but see him taking out the rest come March. He’ll figure them out.

The Bull just couldn’t make it happen at NCAAs but could always bring it the rest of the time. I think PK will be a step above the Bull in the NCAAs every year even with the studs at 65. I see issues with Stan, Mizz, and maybe Wisc, but see him taking out the rest come March. He’ll figure them out.
Agree. PK is a sleeper only because he hasn't been on the D1 mat much. But a true wrestling animal and dynamic in different ways then the the Bull. Have to see it play out but I'd put him on the podium. Not sure where, but I really feel he'll be up there somewhere!

Love PK but he will be in the deepest weight class next year don’t forget Carr is moving up also. I have no doubt he AA’s but don’t know how high just yet. Carl has Facundo who is pretty good as well

Reactions: depelland
Dude’s a stud, no doubt. But, 165 is a meat grinder and The Bull couldn’t take better than 5th. I would be happy with 7th and another year to build confidence off AAing in that field…
I agree pretty much with your entire OP. However, how The Bull did over the last 6 years has very little to do with how PK will do. I think PK is the second most talented guy on the roster behind Spencer and he could have a pretty deep run in the tournament with a good draw. Right now, I would put him behind O’Toole and Griffin. Let’s reassess after his December match up with Carr.

I agree pretty much with your entire OP. However, how The Bull did over the last 6 years has very little to do with how PK will do. I think PK is the second most talented guy on the roster behind Spencer and he could have a pretty deep run in the tournament with a good draw. Right now, I would put him behind O’Toole and Griffin. Let’s reassess after his December match up with Carr.
The reason I bring up Alex is because of how strong that weight is. Alex really was that good, but 165 was also that good nearly 10 deep.

PK is going to have a really hard time with O’Toole, Griffith, Kharchla, Hamiti and Amine. On top of that, if Wittlake can get back to full health he will be a major roadblock. None of that even accounts for Carr moving up.

Make no mistake Hamiti and Amine gained a ton of confidence and will be better this year. Kharchla has finally had a healthy offseason to train and he may just end up being the best at the weight.

I really like PK and don’t disagree with your thoughts on him. I am just not sure you truly realize how good these other guys are as well. PK would damn near have to wrestle a perfect tournament to get into the top 3 or 4 at this weight.

Nope. Lee is about as sure of a thing as it gets at 125 and should score a bunch of bonus. It’s too close to the season for him to build to 133 if he hasn’t been trying to. Plus, RBY and Fix with a significant size advantage would be difficult. Meanwhile, Ayala isn’t really likely to score more at 125 than Teske or Schreiver at 133.

From a strictly selfish for the best matches perspective, Lee at 133 could be awesome. But, it wouldn’t be best for the team.
I agree with Lee should stay 125 where he has been best. Nothing against Teske/Schreiver but a healthy Ayala definitely outscores them.

The reason I bring up Alex is because of how strong that weight is. Alex really was that good, but 165 was also that good nearly 10 deep.

PK is going to have a really hard time with O’Toole, Griffith, Kharchla, Hamiti and Amine. On top of that, if Wittlake can get back to full health he will be a major roadblock. None of that even accounts for Carr moving up.

Make no mistake Hamiti and Amine gained a ton of confidence and will be better this year. Kharchla has finally had a healthy offseason to train and he may just end up being the best at the weight.

I really like PK and don’t disagree with your thoughts on him. I am just not sure you truly realize how good these other guys are as well. PK would damn near have to wrestle a perfect tournament to get into the top 3 or 4 at this weight.
We basically see it the same way. I put O’Toole, Griffin and Carr in the top tier and then about a half dozen guys (including Kennedy in the next tier). I think it will be important for Kennedy to earn a good seed so he gets a quarterfinal draw that he has a decent chance to win. Getting to the semifinals gets you in top 6 and a chance to finish higher. Head-to-head matches with Carr and the Big Ten guys will be really important to get a good seed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inthecircle
Kennedy, as good as he already has been, is going to put a branding iron on the 165lb. weight class this year. I still don’t think some of our fans realize what we have in a healthy and starving Patrick Kennedy.

And as far as Carr goes. PK is a match up nightmare for him. I expect that to be the match that puts everyone on notice about PK.

Kennedy, as good as he already has been, is going to put a branding iron on the 165lb. weight class this year. I still don’t think some of our fans realize what we have in a healthy and starving Patrick Kennedy.

And as far as Carr goes. PK is a match up nightmare for him. I expect that to be the match that puts everyone on notice about PK.
Agree 100%. I’ve been saying for some time now I see Kennedy with the physicality of Marinelli but more diverse offensively. I first remember his Super 32 tournament as a sophomore where he beat Trent Hidlay in the semifinals and Chris Foca in the finals. The kid is special.

You want ”likes“ and you start out by saying we cannot catch PSU. I say fooey , not a bad post but you get 1/2 like from me.
That should show you how much I was actually making fun of “likes” and myself in the process. If I truly was selling out for likes I would have had Iowa winning by 30! But, I did predict 3 Champs and a 3rd…

Still, this year looks pretty damn good considering how many non Hawk fans were predicting a down year this season before last season started. Granted, I don’t think they were expecting Lee to still be there!

Reactions: Grip220

Max is getting on the stand for sure.

If we ain’t scorin at 57 I’d rather see seibreit(spelling) - pure entertainment

Most years kennedy would be a lock for top 4 but this year the weight is sooo stacked that have to hope kennedy is making a big leap on the national team this summer.

Hoping brands puts some tools in his belt from neutral.

Max is getting on the stand for sure.

If we ain’t scorin at 57 I’d rather see seibreit(spelling) - pure entertainment

Most years kennedy would be a lock for top 4 but this year the weight is sooo stacked that have to hope kennedy is making a big leap on the national team this summer.

Hoping brands puts some tools in his belt from neutral.
Truly hope you are right about Max. He and Warner are the 2 I cheer hardest for. I just can’t ignore that he keeps losing in the R12. He is just consistently the #10 or so guy in his weight class and that is about where I have him this year. Not many people are top 10ish all 4 years and never AA, but none of them have ever gone R12 all 4 years either. That alone could cement home as a trivia question 30 NCAA’s from now.

On 34 and counting, they sure seem to think Wittlake will be at 184 and Sheets at 165

Reactions: HawkFan1986
The way the points laid out in your example it would most likely come down to which program can keep their studs healthy. It is going to be a challenging and fun year for sure! Go Hawks!

PK will be the closest thing to Desanto in this season’s lineup. He is going to come hard and continue coming. 2nd most talented maybe but I think big Cass might have something to say about that as well. Woods in a Iowa room is a awfully good thing as well. With all that being said I just might agree with you about PK when all is said and done. Just not yet.

Reactions: KYHWKY and Gobblin

Fosu is going to be good but I truly believe we are better 125, 141, 165, 197 and hwt. Murin is super close to beating Sasso or being rd of 12 again. Sasso & Romero are top 3 guys but other than that I just don’t see anything that is better than top 5 maybe Kharchia but 165 is brutal this year so the margin for error is razor thin bottom line we are better there anyway. I could see 7 or maybe and that’s a big maybe 8 AAs for them but lower end ones for most of them.

I think Rathjen deserves a mention at 157. Talent aside Rathjen just seems like a "worker" in the same lines as Ironside, Fullhart, etc. I'm not saying freshman AA like those guys, but I think definitely mentioned in the running. I've been more impressed with Caleb's career so far over Bretli's.

He has had 2 years in the room, and wick leaves this year. He just beat hall in freestyle. I think the only dudes who Kennedy can't beat right now are griffith o Toole and maybe kharchla and amine

He has had 2 years in the room, and wick leaves this year. He just beat hall in freestyle. I think the only dudes who Kennedy can't beat right now are griffith o Toole and maybe kharchla and amine
David Carr will be insanely tough at 165 IMO. If PK gets in the 7/8th place match, I'm stoked.

ADVERTISEMENT