ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2022-2023 Starting Hawk Lineup and how will they do:

I LOVE your full committment to being a douche on an IOWA board when someone picks IOWA to take 2nd to your own team!!! Do you not see how dickish that is? Instead of saying, yeah even a prediction on a major rival's board picks us to win. You have to deficate on Iowa being picked 2nd?

Make ZERO mistake, if healthy, Iowa is CLEARLY the 2nd best team in DI. The 3 guys I picked to win it all are ranked 1st at 125(by a country mile), 2nd at 141 and 2nd at 197. Not sure how it is ANY type of stretch to pick them all to win...

But, shame on me to pick them 2nd when even the updated, recent ranking sources hav them 2nd as well...

Intermat: PSU, Iowa, ASU, tOSU
Wrestlestat: PSU, Iowa, Missouri, ASU
FLO: Hasn't done their's since March

Finally, who exactly is going to leapfrog Iowa? When I did the math, it honestly wasn't even close.

Iowa Intermat individual rankings:

125: Lee-1st
133: Schriever-14th
141: Woods-2nd
149: Murin-8th
157: Reyna-32nd
165: Kennedy-17th
174: Brands-15th
184: Assad-13th
197: Warner-2nd
285: Cass-4th
Just ignore him like the rest of us do

Since "Carl" moved to Centre County Iowa has had 3 finalists 4 times, and multiple champs once, 2 in 2010. To count 3 individual Iowa wrestling champions Iowa much reach back to 2014, Lee, Clark and Ramos. 3 finalists certainly seems doable, and a great tournament would be 2 champions with a hundred points scored. A more realistic guess would be a couple finalists, one champ with 5 or 6 AAs.

As far as finishing second to Penn State, the Hawks have never been good enough to be the second best team when Penn State wins the title. I have no idea if it will be Ohio State, ASU or somebody else, but the best guess is someone other than the Hawks will be the best team not named Penn State.

Breaking news:

Iowa fans on an Iowa board being optimistic about Iowa's chances.

Water is wet

More at 11

Since "Carl" moved to Centre County Iowa has had 3 finalists 4 times, and multiple champs once, 2 in 2010. To count 3 individual Iowa wrestling champions Iowa much reach back to 2014, Lee, Clark and Ramos. 3 finalists certainly seems doable, and a great tournament would be 2 champions with a hundred points scored. A more realistic guess would be a couple finalists, one champ with 5 or 6 AAs.

As far as finishing second to Penn State, the Hawks have never been good enough to be the second best team when Penn State wins the title. I have no idea if it will be Ohio State, ASU or somebody else, but the best guess is someone other than the Hawks will be the best team not named Penn State.
Whatever the results/trends were in years past have absolutely no relevance in what happens in 2023.

$100 to WFL that Iowa finishes 2nd or higher?

Yip, Carl is the master of scouting and gameplanning. One of the reasons PSU is so good.
Scouting and game planning are minor reasons. Far more important is that PSU has gotten elite, top 10 recruits like no other school, and their NLWC has money to burn, like no other school. Those may be connected. When Carl didn't have those advantages, like during his whole time at ISU, he never won a championship.

Last edited:
Scouting and game planning are minor reasons. Far more important is that PSU has gotten top elite, top 10 recruits like no other school, and their NLWC has money to burn, like no other school. Those may be connected. When Carl didn't have those advantages, like during his whole time at ISU, he never won a championship.
And the psu trolls will show up in 5..4…3…2…1…

They can’t miss an opportunity to shit talk Iowa. I think they like that more than being good at wrestling.

Last edited:
And the psu trolls will show up in 5..4…3…2…1…

They can’t miss an opportunity to shit talk Iowa. I think they like that more than being good at wrestling.

Whatever. Crickets.
crickets-gif-5.gif

Scouting and game planning are minor reasons. Far more important is that PSU has gotten elite, top 10 recruits like no other school, and their NLWC has money to burn, like no other school. Those may be connected. When Carl didn't have those advantages, like during his whole time at ISU, he never won a championship.
well PSU was giving out NIL money LONG before it was a thing...lol...Nittany Investment Loot.... buy the best...to be the best... now we will see other schools spend some cash and parity in recruiting is starting to show that...I am NOT a fan of NIL but its what they approved and we are all late to the game that PSU perfected over the last decade.

well PSU was giving out NIL money LONG before it was a thing...lol...Nittany Investment Loot.... buy the best...to be the best... now we will see other schools spend some cash and parity in recruiting is starting to show that...I am NOT a fan of NIL but its what they approved and we are all late to the game that PSU perfected over the last decade.
This is such sour grapes, and a loser mentality. I guarantee TnT don't feel this way.

This is such sour grapes, and a loser mentality. I guarantee TnT don't feel this way.
just ignore the meatballs. you guys had the same type of fan pissing and moaning about transfers when we won. they exist in every fanbase.

well since you personally guarantee it it must be the truth. I guess paying recruits thousands of dollars for a days work at a camp was an honest way to get them on board. It seems odd that now that NIL is the legal rule that all the other Big Schools are able to get these tremendous recruiting classes now as well. I am sure Ohio State had to dish out a bit of NIL budget for their latest all star haul. Its how the game is played now...thats a fact...I just Think PSU was dancing in that grey area long before it was ever recognized as legal. Now if they could just get some of their football recruits to stay on board with their 80 million dollar Head coach they may become relevant again

I am sure Ohio State had to dish out a bit of NIL budget for their latest all star haul.
While this may be true, I happen to think the pre-announced 2026 NCAA Championships returning to Cleveland plays a bigger role in tOSU's 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes than NIL.

The recruits are likely visualizing wrestling in front of a highly tOSU partisan crowd on Saturday night. Perhaps some seek glory as redeemers for tOSU's second place showing in 2018.

Looking ahead (but not forward to) dealing with tOSU fans for the 2025-26 season. I expect many will approach highly insufferable.

While this may be true, I happen to think the pre-announced 2026 NCAA Championships returning to Cleveland plays a bigger role in tOSU's 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes than NIL.

The recruits are likely visualizing wrestling in front of a highly tOSU partisan crowd on Saturday night. Perhaps some seek glory as redeemers for tOSU's second place showing in 2018.

Looking ahead (but not forward to) dealing with tOSU fans for the 2025-26 season. I expect many will approach highly insufferable.
If the location of the NCAA tournament for one year of their four years of eligibility was in the top ten things considered for a recruit I would question their decision making process.

If the location of the NCAA tournament for one year of their four years of eligibility was in the top ten things considered for a recruit I would question their decision making process.
It's called a marketing discriminator. The top schools with sufficiently generous NIL donors would make that factor a wash. Sorry, but I don't see tOSU having some great advantage there.

125 - Lee is the best. Hard to see him not become a 4 timer unless he gets hurt again. Even with one leg I think his floor is third (glory/arujau at their best are close to hurt/sick lee imo)

133 - Schriever. Maybe sneaks onto the podium in the lower half. Likely r12 pending what improvements he shows.

141- woods is a potential champ. He's been distracted at Stanford with a super strict school workload. With more time to train and new coaching I think he wins it.

149 - murin finishes his career on the podium. I'll guess 5th or 6th. Would be disappointing if he fell short of aa status.

157 - no serious threats

165 - Kennedy is tough but this weight is stacked. I think he makes his way onto the podium though. I'll guess 6th.

174 - brands at his ideal weight finally. I think he makes the podium but is on the lower end. 7th.

184 - Assad is hard to predict. I'll say 8th but could see him off the podium just as easy.

197 - Warner not having Ferrari will help. I'll say 2nd again until he proves he's better Than Dean. Obviously a match up he could win in theory.

285 - is Stevenson actually coming back? If so I'll guess 4th behind him, parris and kirk.

Overall that's 4 guys in the top 4 and another 3 or 4 top 8s. Pretty solid - I'll guess 7 total all Americans. Going to have some big holes to fill after this season.

125 - Lee is the best. Hard to see him not become a 4 timer unless he gets hurt again. Even with one leg I think his floor is third (glory/arujau at their best are close to hurt/sick lee imo)

133 - Schriever. Maybe sneaks onto the podium in the lower half. Likely r12 pending what improvements he shows.

141- woods is a potential champ. He's been distracted at Stanford with a super strict school workload. With more time to train and new coaching I think he wins it.

149 - murin finishes his career on the podium. I'll guess 5th or 6th. Would be disappointing if he fell short of aa status.

157 - no serious threats

165 - Kennedy is tough but this weight is stacked. I think he makes his way onto the podium though. I'll guess 6th.

174 - brands at his ideal weight finally. I think he makes the podium but is on the lower end. 7th.

184 - Assad is hard to predict. I'll say 8th but could see him off the podium just as easy.

197 - Warner not having Ferrari will help. I'll say 2nd again until he proves he's better Than Dean. Obviously a match up he could win in theory.

285 - is Stevenson actually coming back? If so I'll guess 4th behind him, parris and kirk.

Overall that's 4 guys in the top 4 and another 3 or 4 top 8s. Pretty solid - I'll guess 7 total all Americans. Going to have some big holes to fill after this season.
Willie has posted a couple times that Vito is going 133.

Willie has posted a couple times that Vito is going 133.
I’m not sure how Glory makes 125. If he makes it to Saturday night in March he gets the weight allowance plus a full day to rehydrate and put weight back on. Would it be safe to assume that he can get to 140 by go time?

I’m not sure how Glory makes 125. If he makes it to Saturday night in March he gets the weight allowance plus a full day to rehydrate and put weight back on. Would it be safe to assume that he can get to 140 by go time?
I think Saturday night is the only time glory can compete with Lee. A few years ago he had the gas tank advantage. If he's pulling weight I think Lee will have that advantage now (assuming he is healthy of course)

I think Saturday night is the only time glory can compete with Lee. A few years ago he had the gas tank advantage. If he's pulling weight I think Lee will have that advantage now (assuming he is healthy of course)
I think even a full sized, heavy as can be Glory looses to Spencer. But Saturday would be Glory’s best chance. I said Covid year that Spencer’s not loosing again in college, and I wholeheartedly stand by that. Especially with Spencer’s obsession with the weight room now. He’s gonna run through 125 this year and leave nothing but scorched earth behind him. Plus, I think there might be a little extra motivation for Lee to take out Glory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT