Your electrical bill is going up...

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
Left before the sun came up yesterday to set up a 550 ton crane at a new electrical substation. It takes 4 semis of weights and peripheral equipment just to set up this behemoth. A giant piece of electrical equipment was in route. As I understand it the set up/tear down cost just to get the crane on the job is at least 20K. After working a few hours setting up the big boy, Mid America showed up and said the truck bringing the giant transformer/switch gear had crashed and we might as well tear down and call it a day...
Same crane as this...

xhHoaQfK-5KGGUOnlLUA0wQP0mMPxDvPxxf4RuETr2c.jpg

Hawki97

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Left before the sun came up yesterday to set up a 550 ton crane at a new electrical substation. It takes 4 semis of weights and peripheral equipment just to set up this behemoth. A giant piece of electrical equipment was in route. As I understand it the set up/tear down cost just to get the crane on the job is at least 20K. After working a few hours setting up the big boy, Mid America showed up and said the truck bringing the giant transformer/switch gear had crashed and we might as well tear down and call it a day...
Same crane as this...

On Old 218?

Reactions: GOHOX69

MitchLL

HR Legend
Dec 26, 2018
Same crane as this...

Well, there's your problem... that looks like the crane is somewhere near the Rockies.;)

Chuck C

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2011
Same crane as this...

Mid American or Alliant? The electrical company I work for gets sub contracted out to install the control buildings in substations for Eaton Power Company. I got a call today asking if I could do the install in Tiffin in 2-3 weeks because the semis hauling the buildings crashed into each other and Alliant refused all three buildings and they were returning to Omaha.

A month ago we did a job in Gloucester, MA outside of Boston. They had a 770 ton crane set up for us. I think they said that was $50,000 each time to set up and tear down. They had to bring the buildings on a barge into the bay and crane them off the barge. $200,000 to bring the buildings from New Hampshire via barge.
The smaller crane in the background is on the barge. Once the barge gets in place the crane picks up a couple pylons sets them through slits on the barge and uses those as anchors.

unsubstantiated

HR All-American
Oct 21, 2004
Electricity is the cheapest form of energy that I use. (If you include labor for firewood.)

My parents run electric baseboard heat in their kitchen and TV room. Their gas heat only comes on during the coldest 3 months.

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
Mid American or Alliant? The electrical company I work for gets sub contracted out to install the control buildings in substations for Eaton Power Company. I got a call today asking if I could do the install in Tiffin in 2-3 weeks because the semis hauling the buildings crashed into each other and Alliant refused all three buildings and they were returning to Omaha.
Alliant. That's what happened, although I thought 2 had arrived at the truck stop unscathed, but they decided to send them all back together. There was a reason but I wasn't paying that close attention. From where are you coming? I assume we'll be back to try again. That 770 looks impressive...

Reactions: Chuck C and GOHOX69

Chuck C

HR Heisman
Mar 6, 2011
Alliant. That's what happened, although I thought 2 had arrived at the truck stop unscathed, but they decided to send them all back together. There was a reason but I wasn't paying that close attention. From where are you coming? I assume we'll be back to try again. That 770 looks impressive...
I live in Cedar Rapids, this is the closest to home we have ever done one. We do a ton of these out west in the Oregon, Utah, Idaho area. Obviously the substations are going up in areas where the population and infrastructure is expanding.