ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Hawkeye matches?

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
Time to take back our IOWA HAWKEYE WRESTLING message board!! Enough of the crap that the PSU trolls bring here, as well as the moderator (sad that we need to moderate the moderator LOL!). Enough of talking about essentially useless topics such as what the Minnow guy spews out. It's offseason, so let's talk about positive, cool things like...our favorite Hawkeye wrestling matches. I'll give you my top 10.

John Bowlsby over Dan Fouts -- Fouts laid on his stomach the whole match and was DQ'd with :02 left in dual in Ames, 1977. I was in Hilton for that dual -- an unforgettable experience!

Brooks Simpson pinned Eric Voelker (dual in Iowa City, loudest it's ever been in CHA?). Wish I had been there! My uncle was, and his eyes light up when he tells about it.

Lincoln McIlravy over Gerry Abas (NCAA finals, McIlravy's true freshman year). One of the best college matches ever?

Mark Ironside over Cary Kolat (All Star meet). Also one of the best college matches ever?

Mark Perry over Johnny Hendricks (NCAA finals). I watched on my laptop at home, and jumped and screamed when Perry won. Marked the resurgence of Iowa wrestling, after some down years.

Tony Ramos over Jordan Oliver (dual in Iowa City). Wasn't there but some say the noise level almost reached Simpson-Voelker match.

Jay Borschel over Chris Heinrich (NCAA semis, amazing comeback!). I was there and sensed in the 2nd period that Jay might do what he did.

Spencer Lee pinned Nathan Tomasello (NCAA semis). Lax and I were in Cleveland for the NCAAs and unfortunately couldn't get tickets for semis, so watched at a sports bar nearby. Spencer's body was in crazy position for a pin.

Michael Kemerer over Mark Hall (dual in Iowa City). Was there, and this dual surpassed the 1977 ISU dual. The excitement level of every match was electric!

Alex Marinelli over Vincenzo Joseph (several times, Big Ten finals was my favorite). Seems like the whole wrestling world was transfixed when these two went at it.

Comment on these matches, or list your own favorites (has to include a Hawkeye!)

I was at the Simpson/Voelker match... it was amazing, the noise level

My personal favorite was Jim Zaleseky beating the tar out of Nate Carr in the duel when Iowa St moved Carr up a weight class...

Royce Alger pinned an Okie State wrestler that moved up a weight once too. Alger kept pushing him when they went off the mat and got into his head... it was beautiful

I was at the Simpson/Voelker match... it was amazing, the noise level

My personal favorite was Jim Zaleseky beating the tar out of Nate Carr in the duel when Iowa St moved Carr up a weight class...

Royce Alger pinned an Okie State wrestler that moved up a weight once too. Alger kept pushing him when they went off the mat and got into his head... it was beautiful
Going to have to look for that Alger match. Would love to see that.

Time to take back our IOWA HAWKEYE WRESTLING message board!! Enough of the crap that the PSU trolls bring here, as well as the moderator (sad that we need to moderate the moderator LOL!). Enough of talking about essentially useless topics such as what the Minnow guy spews out. It's offseason, so let's talk about positive, cool things like...our favorite Hawkeye wrestling matches. I'll give you my top 10.

John Bowlsby over Dan Fouts -- Fouts laid on his stomach the whole match and was DQ'd with :02 left in dual in Ames, 1977. I was in Hilton for that dual -- an unforgettable experience!

Brooks Simpson pinned Eric Voelker (dual in Iowa City, loudest it's ever been in CHA?). Wish I had been there! My uncle was, and his eyes light up when he tells about it.

Lincoln McIlravy over Gerry Abas (NCAA finals, McIlravy's true freshman year). One of the best college matches ever?

Mark Ironside over Cary Kolat (All Star meet). Also one of the best college matches ever?

Mark Perry over Johnny Hendricks (NCAA finals). I watched on my laptop at home, and jumped and screamed when Perry won. Marked the resurgence of Iowa wrestling, after some down years.

Tony Ramos over Jordan Oliver (dual in Iowa City). Wasn't there but some say the noise level almost reached Simpson-Voelker match.

Jay Borschel over Chris Heinrich (NCAA semis, amazing comeback!). I was there and sensed in the 2nd period that Jay might do what he did.

Spencer Lee pinned Nathan Tomasello (NCAA semis). Lax and I were in Cleveland for the NCAAs and unfortunately couldn't get tickets for semis, so watched at a sports bar nearby. Spencer's body was in crazy position for a pin.

Michael Kemerer over Mark Hall (dual in Iowa City). Was there, and this dual surpassed the 1977 ISU dual. The excitement level of every match was electric!

Alex Marinelli over Vincenzo Joseph (several times, Big Ten finals was my favorite). Seems like the whole wrestling world was transfixed when these two went at it.

Comment on these matches, or list your own favorites (has to include a Hawkeye!)
You pretty much named them :)

Cory Clark vs Jimmy Gulibon NCAA Semifinals 2015
Cory Clark vs Stevan Micic NCAA Quarters 2017
Cory Clark vs Nathan Tomasello NCAA Semis 2017
Cory Clark vs Seth Gross NCAA Finals 2017

Derek St. John vs Jason Welch B1G Finals 2012
Derek St. John vs Jason Welch NCAA Semis 2012
Derek St. John vs David Taylor B1G finals 2011 (Loss)
Derek St. John vs David Taylor NCAA Quarters 2011 (Loss)

Montell Marion vs Andrew Alton PSU Dual 2011
Montell Marion vs Jimmy Kennedy NCAA Quarters 2011

Matt McDonough vs Andrew Long National Duals Match 2010

Michael Kemerer vs Mark Hall PSU Dual 2020

Brandon Sorensen vs Retherford PSU Dual 2016 (Loss)

Nathan 'Legend Slayer' Burak vs Kyle Snyder tOSU Dual 2015

You trollin’ me? Don’t make me post Scott Moore vs, Luke Moffit. 😉

Not at all.(ok, post #31 might be a bit trollish...)

Pretty sure that I'm on record that I am a Scott Moore fan. It makes my list of favorite matches in part because of this. Scott was having a Hodge-worthy year, so Cliff winning in that fashion was surprising. Cliff was ready for his funk in this match.

Reactions: slushhead
Not at all.(ok, post #31 might be a bit trollish...)

Pretty sure that I'm on record that I am a Scott Moore fan. It makes my list of favorite matches in part because of this. Scott was having a Hodge-worthy year, so Cliff winning in that fashion was surprising. Cliff was ready for his funk in this match.
I figured you might have noticed my Scott Moore worship over the years, lol.

Anyway, I probably took that loss harder than any other . . . maybe tied with Bosak over Q. But at least Q had another shot and made good on it. So, yeah, Moore vs. Moore still stings. 😢

Reactions: jrod65

Joe Johnston pinning Luke Becker (MN) in a tense dual.

What is all this material from before the invention of wrestling?
Seriously, you guys have a lot of great material to sift through over the years.
I do love watching all of the battles between the Bull and Cenzo. Even the ones where your guy came out on top. Wouldn't it be great if everyone let it fly like that?

Last edited:
Unseeded sophomore Mike Zadick taking out #1 seed Reggie White from Okie St. in the 1st or second round at 2001 NCAAs. Scored a TD and 2 backs after a restart with less than 10 seconds left. As loud as any Carver moment in history. A very underrated match and Carver moment, IMHO.

Last edited:
What is all this material from before the invention of wrestling?
Seriously, you guys have a lot of great material to sift through over the years.
I do love watching all of the battles between the Bull and Cenzo. Even you ones where your guy came out on top. Wouldn't it be great if everyone let it fly like that?
The back to back Bull-Cenzo/Hall-KemDawg matches at Carver were insane wrestling. Just skillful guys on top of their game, where no one involved deserved a loss

ADVERTISEMENT