ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Hawkeye matches?

Ironside over Kolat and McIlravey over Abas are among my favorites, but, unless I've missed it, I can't believe no one has mentioned Mike DeAnna over Churella in the Big Tens in the Fieldhouse. Randy Lewis calls it the greatest college match ever.

In the beginning, Hawkeye Danny Holm destroys Sooner NCAA Champion Rod Kilgore, I recall that Kilgore came down from 167 lbs to face Holm at 158 lbs.
The roof off the old field house literally exploded. A truly iconic moment in the University of Iowa's rise to wrestling dominance. That truely was the real BEGINNING.

Kemmerer over hall in carver (was there live for this one, environment was insane when kem won!)
Dake over Marion ncaa finals (not the result Marion wanted but I loved the action that took place in the match and marion threw everything he had at dake)
Pretty much all of the metcalf/palmer matches
Ramos over Oliver in carver
Any match that didn't have Derek st John competing.

I know theres Lee winning without knees but watching Clark adapt to having use of only one arm was a thing of beauty that year. He used his legs so much with takedowns and riding. He was at a HWC event in Ames the following year, got to tell him how much I appreciated his epic run.

If I'm not mistaken, nobody beat Cory Clark twice. Zane Richards, James Gulibon, Nathan Tomasello, and Chris Dardanes beat him the first time, but never again. Can't think of anyone that won match two.

If I'm not mistaken, nobody beat Cory Clark twice. Zane Richards, James Gulibon, Nathan Tomasello, and Chris Dardanes beat him the first time, but never again. Can't think of anyone that won match two.
Without looking it up, I’ll guess that Jesse Delgado did his RS freshman year at 125.

He beat Clark at the NCAA, so you're probable right.

I cheated(wrestlestat). He was 0-2 against Delgado and Dardanes.

Also lost twice to Richards, but was 4-2 overall and beat him every time they met at Bigs/NCAAs.

I cheated(wrestlestat). He was 0-2 against Delgado and Dardanes.

Also lost twice to Richards, but was 4-2 overall and beat him every time they met at Bigs/NCAAs.
That year he was 0-2 against Delgado. But he beat him his redshirt year

Reactions: jrod65
Guess I misrembered a half dozen matches. Did he loss to Megaludis twice too?

The one where the ref missed the obvious defensive fall by Brooks against Nickal while being spladled? Nickal was flat!
But so was brooks. What ref is going to call a defensive pin when they have their opponent on their back flat too?

But so was brooks. What ref is going to call a defensive pin when they have their opponent on their back flat too?
No, I'm really good friends with the 2nd ref from that dual, he said the same thing.

mac pounding bono over and over.tony and the wisky kid who was good but always gassed.randy lewis nuff said

Reactions: Mendoza77
Danimal Erekson pinning David Zabriski on Sat morning at NCAAs in St Louis. Z was one of the higher seeds and ISU thought they had the title but this brought life back to the Hawks and won the title. One of the single loudest eruptions I have ever heard-Scott Trade was literally shaking.

mac pounding bono over and over.tony and the wisky kid who was good but always gassed.randy lewis nuff said
Yes, watching old Randy Lewis clips on YouTube is just a treat. That guy just threw it all out there every match.

Top 5 all time? Top 3? Maybe in the discussion for the best ever if not for that injury... hec, even with the injury, he might still be in that discussion.

OP got most of them I would mention, especially Perry v Hendricks, and Borschel in the semi's.

Ramos v Oliver is the loudest I've heard Carver
Kem over Hall was just so entertaining

I'll add a couple, both from the B1G tournament in 2008, hosted by Minnesota. Minnesota had a strong lead after day 1, but Iowa won some key head to head matchups to take the title.

#1- Joe Slaton 3-0 over Mack Reiter for 3rd
#2- Brent Metcalf 5-3 over Dustin Schlater for 1st

Reactions: Mendoza77
Mark Reiland (RIP) with the fall in the finals over Kevin Randleman.
Tom Brands as a redshirt freshman dominating Kendall Cross by major in Iowa City
Doug Schwab over Dwight Hinson by disqualification in Ames when Hinson was so worn out that he couldn't make it back to the middle of the mat.

One of my favorite days was in 2009 or 2010. Randy Lewis entered the Northern Plains to celebrate turning 50. Pete Bush was leading his entourage. Both senior and youth tournaments were going on at the same time.

When Randy's first match was called, all wrestling stopped and all wrestlers surrounded his mat to see an Olympic champion compete. Lewboo drew a DIII wrestler who wasn't born when "the impossible leg" was defeating the best wrestlers in the world. Sure enough, the kid got in on a single and paid the price.

Randy faced a DII kid in the second round and won on a late exposure, getting to the semis against Moza Fay from UNI. Once again, all action stopped so everyone in the building could watch. Moza took Randy down, locked up a leg lace and turned him 4 times quickly. The match was over, but not the celebration. After the referee raised Moza's hand, Moza followed Lewboo off the mat, grabbed his arm and brought him back onto the mat. He raised Randy's arm and turned him to face everyone there. The ovation was stirring. It was one of the best displays of respect and sportsmanship I have ever seen.

One of my favorite days was in 2009 or 2010. Randy Lewis entered the Northern Plains to celebrate turning 50. Pete Bush was leading his entourage. Both senior and youth tournaments were going on at the same time.

When Randy's first match was called, all wrestling stopped and all wrestlers surrounded his mat to see an Olympic champion compete. Lewboo drew a DIII wrestler who wasn't born when "the impossible leg" was defeating the best wrestlers in the world. Sure enough, the kid got in on a single and paid the price.

Randy faced a DII kid in the second round and won on a late exposure, getting to the semis against Moza Fay from UNI. Once again, all action stopped so everyone in the building could watch. Moza took Randy down, locked up a leg lace and turned him 4 times quickly. The match was over, but not the celebration. After the referee raised Moza's hand, Moza followed Lewboo off the mat, grabbed his arm and brought him back onto the mat. He raised Randy's arm and turned him to face everyone there. The ovation was stirring. It was one of the best displays of respect and sportsmanship I have ever seen.
Thanks Jim, I was waiting for you to chime in. I always debate in my mind who is my favorite Hawk wrestler of all time -- Randy Lewis is my #1.

ADVERTISEMENT