ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite Hawkeye matches?

One of my favorite days was in 2009 or 2010. Randy Lewis entered the Northern Plains to celebrate turning 50. Pete Bush was leading his entourage. Both senior and youth tournaments were going on at the same time.

When Randy's first match was called, all wrestling stopped and all wrestlers surrounded his mat to see an Olympic champion compete. Lewboo drew a DIII wrestler who wasn't born when "the impossible leg" was defeating the best wrestlers in the world. Sure enough, the kid got in on a single and paid the price.

Randy faced a DII kid in the second round and won on a late exposure, getting to the semis against Moza Fay from UNI. Once again, all action stopped so everyone in the building could watch. Moza took Randy down, locked up a leg lace and turned him 4 times quickly. The match was over, but not the celebration. After the referee raised Moza's hand, Moza followed Lewboo off the mat, grabbed his arm and brought him back onto the mat. He raised Randy's arm and turned him to face everyone there. The ovation was stirring. It was one of the best displays of respect and sportsmanship I have ever seen.
That’s an awesome story! We need more of that in this world.

One of my favorite days was in 2009 or 2010. Randy Lewis entered the Northern Plains to celebrate turning 50. Pete Bush was leading his entourage. Both senior and youth tournaments were going on at the same time.

When Randy's first match was called, all wrestling stopped and all wrestlers surrounded his mat to see an Olympic champion compete. Lewboo drew a DIII wrestler who wasn't born when "the impossible leg" was defeating the best wrestlers in the world. Sure enough, the kid got in on a single and paid the price.

Randy faced a DII kid in the second round and won on a late exposure, getting to the semis against Moza Fay from UNI. Once again, all action stopped so everyone in the building could watch. Moza took Randy down, locked up a leg lace and turned him 4 times quickly. The match was over, but not the celebration. After the referee raised Moza's hand, Moza followed Lewboo off the mat, grabbed his arm and brought him back onto the mat. He raised Randy's arm and turned him to face everyone there. The ovation was stirring. It was one of the best displays of respect and sportsmanship I have ever seen.
I was at the Northern Plains when Lewboo "made his comeback". It was pretty awesome to see and his matches were definitely the focal point of the tournament. It's one of those memories I will never forget.

video?

So many to choose from over the years leaning towards Perry/Hendricks but what Cory Clark did his senior year would be right there with it. On a side favorite non Hawkeye match would be Jenkins pinning Taylor and sticking it to Carl and psu.

Reactions: Mendoza77
jrod65, you've proven to me how bad my memory has gotten.

Don't sweat it. At least this one was from over a decade ago. I just re-watched this year's finals and was shocked by how badly I misremembered how some of the matches unfolded.

Reactions: Cal98
One of my favorite moments in a match was when I believe it was Kaleb Young a couple of years ago against Minnesota was about to get taken to his back and somehow was able to put the Minny kid on his back at the end of the match to win. Minnesota kid was a bloody mess at the end of the match. Not the biggest match as far as top ranked against top ranked but damn that was fun to see. Sorry not real good with specifics

One of my favorite moments in a match was when I believe it was Kaleb Young a couple of years ago against Minnesota was about to get taken to his back and somehow was able to put the Minny kid on his back at the end of the match to win. Minnesota kid was a bloody mess at the end of the match. Not the biggest match as far as top ranked against top ranked but damn that was fun to see. Sorry not real good with specifics

Zadic vs Frayer. I finally opened this thread and could not believe this wasn’t on anyone’s list(unless I just missed it). I was waiting to sift through this because I knew I would want to watch a bunch of videos and didn’t want to be interrupted. Good thread.

The Gilman comeback at Minnesota after being ridden for what seemed like 4 minutes straight.
Who?

Big, big Zeke Moisey fan now!

Gilman's comeback win over Joey Dance in the quarterfinals, the same year he got stuck by moisey in the semis.

Is it okay if I weigh in now and say that Ayala vs Surtin was one of the best matches I’ve seen? Really got noticed by wrestling fans outside of Iowa. That dude is gonna be special. Can’t wait to see him healthy again.

Is it okay if I weigh in now and say that Ayala vs Surtin was one of the best matches I’ve seen? Really got noticed by wrestling fans outside of Iowa. That dude is gonna be special. Can’t wait to see him healthy again.
Read the thread title --- you clearly posted this on the wrong thread.

In terms of pure effort, nothing tops the Lou Banach match against John Forshee in the Iowa State dual, early 1980s. I think Banach was a freshman and the match was at 190. At any rate, Forshee was a tall lanky rider. I have the match on VHS at home and these are facts - Forshee rode Lou for over 4 minutes. During that four minutes (and I counted with pencil & paper in hand), Banach got to his feet over 20 times. That works out to once every 12-13 seconds over a more than 4 minute time span. Each time Forshee would throw him back to the mat and immediately Lou was working his way back up. As you probably guessed, Forshee wore himself out returning Banach to the mat and Lou pinned him at the very end of the match.
It was simply crazy.

In terms of pure effort, nothing tops the Lou Banach match against John Forshee in the Iowa State dual, early 1980s. I think Banach was a freshman and the match was at 190. At any rate, Forshee was a tall lanky rider. I have the match on VHS at home and I
There were definitely some Banach brother matches that would be in my all timers. I don't remember this one in particular, but would love to see it.

Z

In terms of pure effort, nothing tops the Lou Banach match against John Forshee in the Iowa State dual, early 1980s. I think Banach was a freshman and the match was at 190. At any rate, Forshee was a tall lanky rider. I have the match on VHS at home and these are facts - Forshee rode Lou for over 4 minutes. During that four minutes (and I counted with pencil & paper in hand), Banach got to his feet over 20 times. That works out to once every 12-13 seconds over a more than 4 minute time span. Each time Forshee would throw him back to the mat and immediately Lou was working his way back up. As you probably guessed, Forshee wore himself out returning Banach to the mat and Lou pinned him at the very end of the match.
It was simply crazy.
Wow!! I thought I'd heard/read about every classic Iowa match, but that one is new to me. You need to post it somehow onto Youtube, so all of us can watch it.

ADVERTISEMENT