ADVERTISEMENT

Your first Iowa game.

1984 vs Penn St. Both teams ranked.

My buddy here in Iowa had relatives in Pennsylvania that could get cheap tickets in the visitor's section. I don't think I even paid him for the ticket.

Got pulled up on by a state trooper while we were peeing on an off ramp on I-80. He chewed our ass a little and he let us go. All 4 of us had open container and had half a dozen in us. Remember, it was 1984.

If I remember correctly, Penn St scored late and won 20-17.

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
9 years old October 25 1986 vs Northwestern. My dad scored free or reduced price tickets from somewhere because that's about the only way we would go. It was an absolutely miserable cold and rainy day but Hawks prevailed.

My dad had four season tickets since he graduated from Iowa in 1958. He started taking me to games in 1967 when I was six years old. We parked and tailgated (Coca-Cola for me) with others from Waterloo in the triangle lot on Melrose and Golfview. The adults had a full bar on a card table.

My freshman year 1981 win over #7 Cornsuckers followed up with win against #6 UCLA.
I know Hayden gets all the credit for the turnaround in Iowa football, but I like to think I had a small part in it.
During the good old days when you could celebrate with a bath in the fountain in front of the hospital. Then thousands of drunk fans walking through the hospital with their bodas.

I was 11 and my first game in Kinnick, I was at most all the other home games mentioned during the 80s, early 90s!

December 31, 1982: Peach Bowl in Atlanta. Iowa 28, Tennessee 22.
I was in 3rd grade and can remember several plays of the game. Vols were coached by Johnny Majors and had three future NFL stars...Reggie White, Willie Gault, and Bill Bates. Chuck Long threw for over 300 yards (3tds), including two TDs to Ronnie Harmon. :D

1968. Notre Dame at Iowa. Wasn't a great result but as a kid it was a great day.

October 22, 1949----Iowa against #13 ranked Northwestern--Iowa won---I was 13 years old--my Father, Mother older brother and I made it a day old expedition from Des Moines ---dinner on the way home in the Amana Colonies--I remember the score was 28-21 and Jack Dittmer was the star

Thinking September of 1973 (or 74?) vs Penn State. Was a Boy Scout and worked as an usher. I remember the Scottish Highlanders at halftime (the sword dance was cool) and later we got to sit any open seat (there was a lot) to watch the game. At the end we had to report to the sideline to hold a barn rope to keep people from rushing the field. (yeah, like that was going to happen) ;-)

Oregon State season opener in 1969 as an 8 year old.

For $5, I sat in the south end zone (knothole game) and had money left over to buy a hot dog, coke and popcorn.

Unfortunately, Hawks got beat 42-14. Defense had some issues and it was a rough day for QB Larry Lawrence.

My sports cynicism comes from following Hawkeye football in the early 1970s.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Can’t recall the year but when we beat Bo and Michigan 26-0. Sat in the end zone and loved being able to see plays develop even as a little kid.

Last edited:
2000 against Michigan State. Wasnt a huge football fan in general at the time but remembered a big hit that made all of Kinnick go "OOoooo". Found out later that hit was from a young Bob Sanders.
That was supposed to be my first game actually. Mom and dad went and I got stuck behind because I was sick. I remember how excited my dad was when he came home “this will be a turning point for the program “ he kept saying all week after.

That was supposed to be my first game actually. Mom and dad went and I got stuck behind because I was sick. I remember how excited my dad was when he came home “this will be a turning point for the program “ he kept saying all week after.
I was a young lad completely oblivious to the game of football, let alone that Iowa team that had so many notable people. My family and I were on top bleachers behind the visitors bench so we didn't rush the field. But the fans were so electric after.

1994 year of the injured QB against Michigan St. 19-14 W. Big day from Shaw and Kent Kahl on the ground. Just remember our WR threw for most yards that day off a WR reverse pass.

Hawks lost that day 29-14. Couldn’t stop Wheatley or get off the field on 3rd down. It was the week after the Colorado miracle in Ann Arbor and the student section was chanting “Colorado” the entire pregame.

1969 against Arizona. It cost me $1 to sit in the south end zone bleachers. It was a beautiful October day and we won!

Figured we could use a change of pace thread around here. What’s everyone’s first Iowa game? Mine was November 10 2007 vs Minnesota. Not a particular memorable game but Albert Young did pass Tavian Banks on the all time rushing yards list moving to 3rd overall and Iowa won. 21-16.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvYjdmOWQ2YzMtMTE3MDQ4Ni5qcGVn.jpg
Good thread btw

Iowa vs. Drake, 1985. I had zero idea what was going on because I was a little kid. I just cheered when my dad did. Iowa won 58-0. Drake went on to beat ISU 20-17 that same year, cementing how badly ISU sucked ass.

Reactions: Wadukester
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT