ADVERTISEMENT

Your first Iowa game.

1982 Michigan in Kinnick. I was a Sr in High School. I watched Reggie Roby kick the ball halfway to the sun, and the filthy Wolverines cruised to a 29-7 victory. I became a Hawkeye that day…

Reactions: Bishop1971
So many memorable moments for so many! So much joy that the hawks brought to us over ther years. I highly doubt that most or any had the disdain towards the program that many complain about now. If only we could remember what the hawks meant to us in our youth when our fandom was unconditional. The memories will keep coming but as in life , there’re ups and downs . Hope my kids love them the way I do and keep the tradition going !

It was 77 or 78 at home versus Michigan. We got our asses kicked but I was hooked. Wouldn’t mind a retro cursive Iowa helmet for a future game.

Reactions: Bishop1971
So many memorable moments for so many! So much joy that the hawks brought to us over ther years. I highly doubt that most or any had the disdain towards the program that many complain about now. If only we could remember what the hawks meant to us in our youth when our fandom was unconditional. The memories will keep coming but as in life , there’re ups and downs . Hope my kids love them the way I do and keep the tradition going !
Absolutely correct. Reading the posts brings back so many good memories. Even watching Hawkeye basketball on Thursdays with my dad back in the late 70's.

Vs Illinois 1985. 55-0 victory I think. Chuck Long chucked it long and Robert Smith ran under it. That’s about the sum of my memory from that day.

I had been on the Kinnick field a few years earlier on a school field trip.

Reactions: Wadukester
First game was supposed to be 91 against Minnesota but coming from western Iowa my Dad, uncle and I only made it a few miles down the road before they called off making the trip. I was one bummed 8 year old. First time making it to Kinnick was the next year against Purdue. We lost 27-16. My biggest memory was I couldn't figure out why the crowd was booing everytime Iowas rb carried the ball. Dad had to inform me they weren't booing him they were saying "Lew!!!"

Reactions: Easthawk1062
Freshman year 1982, ISU. Tony Wancket had a pick six early in the game right in front of us (student section and band were in north end zone). And I believe that was the last time we saw the end zone.

Saw my first game here-
2566_h.jpg
Ummm.... The last game played there was in 1928, just a few years ago!

Michigan vs. Iowa in 2003, Homecoming game. I was 16 at the time. I think I'd been before, but I know for sure that was the first game I remember. I wanted to buy an Ann Arbor is a Whore t-shirt. I might've been there for the MSU game in 2000, though.

Michigan vs. Iowa in 2003, Homecoming game. I was 16 at the time. I think I'd been before, but I know for sure that was the first game I remember. I wanted to buy an Ann Arbor is a Whore t-shirt. I might've been there for the MSU game in 2000, though.
Were you totally wasted?

Figured we could use a change of pace thread around here. What’s everyone’s first Iowa game? Mine was November 10 2007 vs Minnesota. Not a particular memorable game but Albert Young did pass Tavian Banks on the all time rushing yards list moving to 3rd overall and Iowa won. 21-16.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvYjdmOWQ2YzMtMTE3MDQ4Ni5qcGVn.jpg
Would have been 1967, don’t recall the opponent. The first game I ever saw in Kinnick was the previous year when freshman teams from Iowa and ISU played. That was the first athletics competition between the schools since 1934.

Sept of 1957. Don't remember the opponent. It was all a little fuzzy, since I'd had only a glass of sloe gin for breakfast. However, I pulled myself together long enough to perform admirably as a drummer with the Scottish Highlanders at halftime. Great freshman memories!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT