ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube TV B.S.

final_flashx

HR All-American
Nov 1, 2006
I literally just cancelled my Direct TV subscription 5 days ago and signed up for YTTV only for them to immediately jack up the price by 30% because they wanted to add some trash channels.... This is the exact reason why I left Cable and DTV, but now it might be even cheaper to just bundle cable and Internet now.... This is like going from one psycho girlfriend to another psycho girlfriend and not knowing how to find a nice girl.... Jeeeez

$65/mo is still a great deal. Of course they do not make you sign a long term contract, so moving to another service is very easy.
I wasn't happy either, but the fact you can share it out to FIVE different people and have unlimited cloud DVR still makes it a steal over cable. I have it for my LiveTV/Sports as well as Hulu and Netflix...all together still cheaper than U-Verse.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
$65/mo is still a great deal. Of course they do not make you sign a long term contract, so moving to another service is very easy.

I just put my account on hold. You can suspend it for as long as you want. It's very easy to do. No phone calls, just a couple computer clicks.

Without sports, we just don't watch cable. If the TV is on, it's on Hulu, Prime, Netflix, or the Disney/ESPN + package.

If football is actually on this fall, I'll resume service. It's just a couple clicks.

Oh, and $64.99 is still better than a hundred-plus dollars for Directv's junk package. Still a no-brainer.

I just put my account on hold. You can suspend it for as long as you want. It's very easy to do. No phone calls, just a couple computer clicks.

Without sports, we just don't watch cable. If the TV is on, it's on Hulu, Prime, Netflix, or the Disney/ESPN + package.

If football is actually on this fall, I'll resume service. It's just a couple clicks.

Oh, and $64.99 is still better than a hundred-plus dollars for Directv's junk package. Still a no-brainer.
If you place your account on hold does it continue to store your recorded programs so you can watch again when you resume your service?

I have placed my account on hold before but it always kicks back in after a few months.

Rattled a couple more cages and finally got an email giving me my account info for my cable providers iTV internet TV package. Bundled with cable internet, I'm at the same price as internet, YTTV and Philo, a couple more channels, and back on one app. The user interface, at first glance is even better than YTTV's. The guide still gives channel numbers for quick channel changes in desired.

Cord cutting has forced cable companies to rethink their service. This has worked out great for me.

So they will stop billing you during the hold?

Without you taking any action to reactivate it?
yes. I think you can only pause for 60 days like the dude above said.

edit. i didnt cancel...I just put in on hold. I didnt read the fine print. you can pause or hold th3 service for 60 days.

$65 isn't the end of the world but it's the principal of the matter. I had it for live sports. Add shitty Viacom content I didn't ask for and hike up the price. No opt out. No thanks, I was happy not paying for that content. South Park is the only thing worth watching on those 8 channels for me and you can watch it elsewhere. Comedy Central is about to go under and good riddance. Hope MTV is too. No longer need curators and gatekeepers for that stuff on TV with the internet.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I literally just cancelled my Direct TV subscription 5 days ago and signed up for YTTV only for them to immediately jack up the price by 30% because they wanted to add some trash channels.... This is the exact reason why I left Cable and DTV, but now it might be even cheaper to just bundle cable and Internet now.... This is like going from one psycho girlfriend to another psycho girlfriend and not knowing how to find a nice girl.... Jeeeez
You'll be able to take advantage of Direct TV's offers begging you to come back.

You'll be able to take advantage of Direct TV's offers begging you to come back.

That's what I thought. Didn't happen. 23 year customer, early adopter when they first came out too. But they pestered me for 18 months...5 different DTV telemarketing numbers called me over that time, some times as many as 4 times a day.

The only deals they would offer me involved me upping my subscription with stuff I didn't need nor want (DVR, more receivers, HBO, more expensive main sub). Of course, the catch was it was 2 year contract only - 1st year I'd save money, 2nd year they'd make that all up to where YTTV was still the much better deal overall...not to mention the portability of YTTV blowing them out of the water.

They'd offer me a deal only if I bumped up my monthly rate to roughly $175/month. They wouldn't do anything for a single receiver mid level sub no add-ons except The Sports Pack subscription like me.

For now, I am sticking with YTTV. I'd be a LOT more happy about it if I simply had the Fox RSN's back that I used to have - that was the main reason why I chose them out of all the other providers. Hell, at least offer me the chance to pay an extra $10 a month for it - THAT is truly what chaps me about the whole thing.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

Didn’t know you could suspend! Thanks

Getting awfully tired of the constant battles between YTTV and content providers. May end up cancelling if this latest Disney dispute doesn't get settled tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT