ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube TV increased price significantly without warning

Gonolz

HR Legend
Aug 6, 2002
I cut the cord a few years ago and went with YouTube TV. It had all the channels I saved me a lot at first at $35/month. They then raise it to $40. They then raised it to $50, which with tax, I was paying $57/month. I just got a text that my credit card got charged $74 for YouTube TV. Yep, without even a warning email to me, the price is now $65. In less than 3 years, they have almost doubled the price. Has cable and other streaming done the same?

So, before football season starts, what streaming TV do you use? What sports channels does it get (ESPNU is a must for me)? What is the price?

I cut the cord a few years ago and went with YouTube TV. It had all the channels I saved me a lot at first at $35/month. They then raise it to $40. They then raised it to $50, which with tax, I was paying $57/month. I just got a text that my credit card got charged $74 for YouTube TV. Yep, without even a warning email to me, the price is now $65. In less than 3 years, they have almost doubled the price. Has cable and other streaming done the same?

So, before football season starts, what streaming TV do you use? What sports channels does it get (ESPNU is a must for me)? What is the price?
They announced it publicly a while back.
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/youtube-tv-rate-going-up-15.321096/

Reactions: Gonolz

I’ve set up 5 family members on sub accounts so the price has now gone up to $11 per. Still pretty cheap.

Is this Pepsi or is this like rotted fermented alcoholic Pepsi? I'm assuming you share your account and someone else who used it did the acknowledgment. They did warn you in a pop up on the app and in the browser. I can't remember if they emailed or not, but I think they did.

They did give lots of warnings. I put them on pause for now. I get a basic plan through my HOA that includes HBO. All in for cable and internet my bill is $50. Just got word my HOA is terminating the bulk plan so I may be heading back to YTV

I dropped YTTV for Hulu a couple weeks ago. Between the price and baseball games on Hulu it was a good choice.

I'm starting to think that these streaming companies will just drive people back to cable.
I think people have quit watching tv and that worries the powers that be

look for this to continue to drive the herd back to cable

I agree with you

Reactions: Moral
Personally, I'm going the opposite direction. I retrofit my TV with a VCR and I'm recording everything. I'm preparing for a cloud service interruption, cloud censorship purge, or wartime pillaging of centralized data. We'll see who looks silly in 2030.
You are gettin tv on tape because you think ww3 or major catastrophe is going to sink the inter webs and cable ?

AT&T TV now with their wireless service. $25 off per month off, $5/month for hbo because they own it. Think I pay $40 a month. May not get all the sports you may want though

You are gettin tv on tape because you think ww3 or major catastrophe is going to sink the inter webs and cable ?
TV, movies, some audio only content that I play through my TV speakers. And it might not be a major catastrophe. Might just be the content owners or government holding back content I ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!

Reactions: dgordo
TV, movies, some audio only content that I play through my TV speakers. And it might not be a major catastrophe. Might just be the content owners or government holding back content I ALREADY PAID FOR!!!!
Interesting

preppers are storing food you are storing entertainment

don’t disagree necessarily just haven’t considered it

I think people have quit watching tv and that worries the powers that be

look for this to continue to drive the herd back to cable

I agree with you
Well look at most of the streaming companies. Netflix has a ton of content but most of it is mediocre to crap.

My cable company took a step to stop the bleeding and add their own internet TV streaming package. I have my internet and iTV streaming bundled at a price that's cheaper than YTTV and Philo was combined with my internet.

Personally, I'm going the opposite direction. I retrofit my TV with a VCR and I'm recording everything. I'm preparing for a cloud service interruption, cloud censorship purge, or wartime pillaging of centralized data. We'll see who looks silly in 2030.

I like wireless connectivity to put the TVs where I want. I also use SONOS for sound everywhere and Philips Hue lighting in both houses. The only thing hardwired are my office laptops.

Just got my genie 2 free upgrade from DirecTV you all keep trying these other things and I'll keep the best sports package there is as they hook me up to keep me.

I got this email on June 30.

Hi Babiscuit,

As we pass the 3-year mark for our service, we want to sincerely thank you for being part of our journey and share a few updates on the future of YouTube TV.
We built YouTube TV to bring you the best of live TV, delivered how you want it, without commitments. Since our launch, we’ve listened to your feedback and worked to build an experience that fits the needs of everyone in your household.
Today we are also adding more of ViacomCBS’s family of channels to YouTube TV, which includes 8 of your favorites: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1.
To continue delivering the best content and service possible, we’re also updating our price for new and existing members to $64.99/month. Your base membership price will change on 08/03/2020. To check on the status of your account, go to your Settings > Membership page for updated information.
We don’t make these decisions lightly, and we realize how hard this may be for our members. This new price reflects the rising costs of content, and we also believe it reflects the complete value of YouTube TV. In addition to the 85+ live channels, YouTube TV is the only streaming service that includes a DVR with unlimited storage space (with content saved for 9 months), plus 6 accounts per household, each with its own unique recommendations, and 3 concurrent streams. It’s all included in the base cost of YouTube TV, with no contract and no hidden fees. You can see how we compare to other offerings in the industry here.
We hope YouTube TV continues to be your service of choice, but we also understand that some members may want to cancel their service. All members have the flexibility to pause (your current library recordings will be kept) or cancel anytime.
You can find more information in the YouTube TV Help Center and our recent blog post.
Thanks for being part of YouTube TV.
The YouTube TV Team

I like wireless connectivity to put the TVs where I want. I also use SONOS for sound everywhere and Philips Hue lighting in both houses. The only thing hardwired are my office laptops.
I was kidding - that sounds nice. If I was going to do anything like I suggested I would be doing it with an external TB hard drive like my brother's psycho friend.

Reactions: Nipigu

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT