ADVERTISEMENT

Youtubetv

ELCHawk

HR All-American
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2019
My wife (no pics but Google Lily Aldridge) and I are finally getting rid of Mediacom. We are looking at YouTube TV. It has all the channels for Iowa football and basketball. It has all the channels for the Men's Tournament. It has all the channels my wife and I watch. It has NBA TV which I never had. The only thing is it doesn't have Bally Sports North. I won't be able to watch Twolves or Twins but they are getting a streaming channel eventually. Have you guys had good luck with it? Pros/cons? Any other recommendations? Thanks

My wife (no pics but Google Lily Aldridge) and I are finally getting rid of Mediacom. We are looking at YouTube TV. It has all the channels for Iowa football and basketball. It has all the channels for the Men's Tournament. It has all the channels my wife and I watch. It has NBA TV which I never had. The only thing is it doesn't have Bally Sports North. I won't be able to watch Twolves or Twins but they are getting a streaming channel eventually. Have you guys had good luck with it? Pros/cons? Any other recommendations? Thanks

Imo it’s the best of the streaming cable services.

I've used YouTubeTV, FuboTV, and Hulu.

I used Fubo because I'm a Cubs fan and they're the only service that carries the Marquee Network. Unfortunately, their streaming service is trash so I ditched it.

YT and Hulu are very comparable... however, Hulu puts it over the edge for me because you also receive Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu+ with your subscription, and it's the same price as YT.

Best value is Hulu imo.

Did Twolves recently switch to Bally Sports? I could have sworn when I originally got YTTV, it included regional channels for Twin Cities teams and I live in Des Moines. But they weren't on Bally that I remember, it was one of those regional FOX sports stations I think. Regardless, YTTV is the best streaming "cable" service I've tried (also tried Sling and PSVue when it existed).

Did Twolves recently switch to Bally Sports? I could have sworn when I originally got YTTV, it included regional channels for Twin Cities teams and I live in Des Moines. But they're weren't on Bally that I remember, it was one of those regional FOX sports stations I think. Regardless, YTTV is the best streaming "cable" service I've tried (also tried Sling and PSVue when it existed).
BallySportsNorth used to be FoxSportsNorth.

Thanks. It is going to save us tons of money.

Not knowing your setup, you do need to consider your internet speed and whether your ISP throttles or charges after X amount of data usage. You may even want to call your ISP and get it down in writing that they will not throttle your connection.

If you aren't on a high speed connection and have multiple family members streaming, you're going to run into buffering issues.

Also, if you're using the modem/router provided to you by your ISP, I would considering getting rid of it and upgrading. The equipment they provide is typically hot garbage and you'll make up the cost by not paying the rental fee.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Not knowing your setup, you do need to consider your internet speed and whether your ISP throttles or charges after X amount of data usage. You may even want to call your ISP and get it down in writing that they will not throttle your connection.

If you aren't on a high speed connection and have multiple family members streaming, you're going to run into buffering issues.

Also, if you're using the modem/router provided to you by your ISP, I would considering getting rid of it and upgrading. The equipment they provide is typically hot garbage and you'll make up the cost by not paying the rental fee.
Thanks

This.

we were able run using 25mbps but it was pushing it. it depends how many devices you have pulling bandwidth. Now that we have 100mbps we can run all three TVs, phones and iPads with no problem.

If you can get a consistent 35-40 mbps, there's no reason a typical house would need more. And buy your own router/modem, the ones your ISP provide you are generally subpar and that doesn't even get into the cost/benefit of owning your own. It pays for itself in under a year iirc.

I've used YouTubeTV, FuboTV, and Hulu.

I used Fubo because I'm a Cubs fan and they're the only service that carries the Marquee Network. Unfortunately, their streaming service is trash so I ditched it.

YT and Hulu are very comparable... however, Hulu puts it over the edge for me because you also receive Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu+ with your subscription, and it's the same price as YT.

Best value is Hulu imo.
Does hulu have local channels?

I get 7Mbps out here in the sticks. I can run 2 TVs on that. YTTV is the best imo!

lily-gettyimages-464328714.jpg

Reactions: ELCHawk
The only reason I haven’t switched yet is I don’t like their DVR, or I am in love with Dish DVR. I have no regerts either.

We ditched Directtv a couple of years ago, bought a Roku stick and YTTV ever since. We love it and will never go back.

Switched from YouTubeTV to Direct TV Stream solely for Bally Sports and Marquee Network. You pretty much get all the Bally/Sports Networks for Twins/Twolves/Wild/Royals/Cards/White Sox/Brewers if you are in Iowa. That package runs $90/month now I think. Will also get Tennis/MLB/NBA/Golf Channel. Does NOT have the NFL Network or RedZone on any of the packages tho which sucks.

Can use the app for free or buy a Box/Remote for $120 billed at $5/mo. I liked YouTube platform better but need Ballys and Marquee. DTV is only streaming service which has it currently. Overall pretty happy with it.

If you like music the AXS TV channel is great too expect on Thursday when they air WWE shit all day

Was hesitant to switch about a year ago. Wouldn't use anything wise now. Only downfall has been when the internet gets wacky and the TV goes out. Happened during the Iowa bowl game of all times.

The best thing about YTTV is the unlimited dvr storage. I’ve been using it for a couple years but I always pause it from the end of college basketball to the start of college football. I don’t watch a lot of tv during the summer anyway, and if I can’t watch the Blue Jackets and Reds on Bally Sports then there’s no point in paying $70/month when I already have several other streaming options.

Supposedly Bally Sports is going to have a standalone app for about $200/year but last time I checked they were having trouble ironing out streaming rights for every team.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I won't be able to watch Twolves or Twins but they are getting a streaming channel eventually. Have you guys had good luck with it? Pros/cons? Any other recommendations? Thanks
I just checked out of curiosity and it looks like Bally Sports has secured direct-to-consumer streaming rights for Twolves and Wild games. Not sure about the Twins. It’s $19.99/month or $189 if you pre-pay for a full year.

Switched from YouTubeTV to Direct TV Stream solely for Bally Sports and Marquee Network. You pretty much get all the Bally/Sports Networks for Twins/Twolves/Wild/Royals/Cards/White Sox/Brewers if you are in Iowa. That package runs $90/month now I think. Will also get Tennis/MLB/NBA/Golf Channel. Does NOT have the NFL Network or RedZone on any of the packages tho which sucks.

Can use the app for free or buy a Box/Remote for $120 billed at $5/mo. I liked YouTube platform better but need Ballys and Marquee. DTV is only streaming service which has it currently. Overall pretty happy with it.

If you like music the AXS TV channel is great too expect on Thursday when they air WWE shit all day

It's amazing how much living in Iowa sucks as a sports fan due to all the blackout shit. We have no professional sports team and apparently no one wants us watching one either.

It's amazing how much living in Iowa sucks as a sports fan due to all the blackout shit. We have no professional sports team and apparently no one wants us watching one either.
I'm hoping this Field of Dreams deal can continue to raise awareness about this injustice. Last year was the first time I heard anyone in national media show Iowa baseball fans any sympathy.

Reactions: Tom Paris
We ditched Directtv a couple of years ago, bought a Roku stick and YTTV ever since. We love it and will never go back.
Good point about the Roku. I have Roku Ultras on all my TV's. This way they only need one remote and they all work exactly the same.

Yep. I turned on my Dodgers last night because they were actually on MLB, and then it got blacked out because they were playing the Cubs. In LA!! Makes no sense. No state gets more screwed by MLB than Iowa.

Reactions: like-woahh
By the way different government agencies spying on me specifically, I'll stop illegally streaming blacked out games I want to see when you stop allowing these blackouts.

Hulu is best if you like watching previous TV shows and not just what is on actual live TV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT