ADVERTISEMENT

ZERO toughness

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I have watched IA BB closely for the last 35 years or so. I have never seen a coach allow and promote actions like we have been seeing of these players on the court. Complaining after no calls, throwing your hands up during the play, going after the refs. Kids are taught to play through it from about 4th grade on. You have a coach that can barely get through a game without getting tossed so what do you think his team does year after year? Conner against Maryland complained to a ref instead of getting back to stop a layup and continues to play after that!

We are a mentally fragile team and lack toughness. We have seen it for years and not sure why people think it is going to change and continue to support this coach. It makes no sense. You then have the same people opine on why we can't fill Carver.

I did see Ogundele give his defender an elbow sandwich with an extra slice of ouch….
as he powered thru him to the basket,

is that what you refer too?

I have watched IA BB closely for the last 35 years or so. I have never seen a coach allow and promote actions like we have been seeing of these players on the court. Complaining after no calls, throwing your hands up during the play, going after the refs. Kids are taught to play through it from about 4th grade on. You have a coach that can barely get through a game without getting tossed so what do you think his team does year after year? Conner against Maryland complained to a ref instead of getting back to stop a layup and continues to play after that!

We are a mentally fragile team and lack toughness. We have seen it for years and not sure why people think it is going to change and continue to support this coach. It makes no sense. You then have the same people opine on why we can't fill Carver.
All true my friend.

All true my friend.
Agree. I would immediately change line up to Ogundele, Keegan, Kris JBo and Joe
We need to start with some kind of presence in middle. Play the big fella as long he can go to start game until fouls and or fatigue.
Kris on floor might create better spacing and with JBo being chased wound allow Joe and Keegan more room.
Something has to change.

That’s also why most of Fran’s teams are bad rebounding and defensively. Those two areas require toughness and certain attitude. Iowa under Fran usually turtles when teams get physical and takes Iowa out of their game. They worry about things they can’t control instead of focusing on what they can control,.

Davidson is a dirty player and the call last night was BS but why are we the players even talking about it? Fran is obviously okay with them doing so. Maybe get pissed that you got killed on the boards and defense again which was WHY you lost AGAIN.

We need to start with some kind of presence in middle. Play the big fella as long he can go to start game until fouls and or fatigue.
Kris on floor might create better spacing and with JBo being chased wound allow Joe and Keegan more room.
Something has to change.
JBo?!

That’s also why most of Fran’s teams are bad rebounding and defensively. Those two areas require toughness and certain attitude. Iowa under Fran usually turtles when teams get physical and takes Iowa out of their game. They worry about things they can’t control instead of focusing on what they can control,.

Davidson is a dirty player and the call last night was BS but why are we the players even talking about it? Fran is obviously okay with them doing so. Maybe get pissed that you got killed on the boards and defense again which was WHY you lost AGAIN.
Bolded is 100% correct

I think the lack of toughness and how our team ignores defense and rebounding is a big reason that Carver will continue to be half empty. Iowa fans like toughness and effort. A player like Aaron White would FEAST playing against us.

The failure of last year's team to make it to the sweet 16 is also a big deal. 2 NBA players (one being the national player of the year) and we don't make it out of the round of 32.

I hope Keegan returns next year, because this season already feels like we are wasting his talents. Kris' continued improvement playing along Keegan is something to look forward to.

Something has to change.
I haven't logged in for 2 years. Had to agree with your post. I've been wanting a real center to play. Rebracca can't rebound well. We need Ogundele in the lineup for rebounding and toughness. Go small ball when he's resting on the bench.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

You are 100% spot on. It’s time for a change.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
From my experience in sports/life, toughness often comes from being challenged to strive for better results. IMO FM teams are soft because he coaches soft. His out-of-control behavior at times during games does not truly reflect his practice persona. A coach does not have to be an ogre, but they need to be tough and demanding equally of all players to create toughness. FM fails miserably on all fronts. Of course, JMO.

I think the lack of toughness and how our team ignores defense and rebounding is a big reason that Carver will continue to be half empty. Iowa fans like toughness and effort. A player like Aaron White would FEAST playing against us.

The failure of last year's team to make it to the sweet 16 is also a big deal. 2 NBA players (one being the national player of the year) and we don't make it out of the round of 32.

I hope Keegan returns next year, because this season already feels like we are wasting his talents. Kris' continued improvement playing along Keegan is something to look forward to.
Why would he want to return to play with those guys? He’ll make some $$$ next year and it won’t be at Iowa. He’s not a Garza.

Reactions: topherchris20
Ain't it funny how for 13 years we always fall for the scrappiness to start the season, only to see the team fall back into their usual zero grit selves?

Every. Single. Year.
Your early season schedules are typically fools gold. Can’t play +300 kenpom teams as much as Fran loves to schedule them.

I honestly think it would help Keegan with his draft potential if he started being a little more animated. In this day, its how some guys get noticed!

Ain't it funny how for 13 years we always fall for the scrappiness to start the season, only to see the team fall back into their usual zero grit selves?

Every. Single. Year.
Part of that is the fact that we normally play the "sisters of the poor" to begin the season and everyone raves how Iowa dominates -- then we get into actual Power 5 and Conference Opponents and we see who we really are.

Reactions: jwardelt

In actuality, 3 NBA players if you count Keeg. Murray. But we can't play that guy too much in 2020-21 because he was a freshman and we have to play other guys who do these undefined miraculous things that can't be measured in any way.

This team’s extremely soft.

They’re soft even by a normal soft McCaffrey team’s standards.

I’ve been posting about how weak this team is since the first game I saw them play this year.

I did see Ogundele give his defender an elbow sandwich with an extra slice of ouch….
as he powered thru him to the basket,

is that what you refer too?
he's too tough to play on this team

Frans teams have not traditionally been bad at rebounding. We’ve had a positive rebounding margin every year he has coached. Last year and the Woody years we’re quite good,at least over plus 2 a game.

Keep dreaming, he's gone. Who would want to play more under Fran than they had to? This team is an embarrassment and it starts at the top. Get out while you still can Keegan!

Toughness? How do you quantify toughness? I look at this team and see one that isn't very talented, and many of you are mistaking being tough as a makeup for talent.

This team lacks athletes, hence they aren't good. If you are athletic, you can do things that make you look tough.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
i’m pretty much over the McCaffery era. The players change but the results stay the same. Its been 12 years, if he was going to win anything of significance it would’ve happened by now.
Teams are always deficient in critical areas. At the end of last season people were saying this team would be much better defensively, quicker lineup.
Doesn't matter... Iowa Basketball is a perennial underachiever.

No doubt this team is soft as charmin. Iowa Bball before McCaffery and lick always had some Ed Horton - Reggie Evans - Al Lorenzon - Russ Millard - Chris Street type of players and the list goes on. Hell I would even take a Jacob Jaakes at this point. These type's of player's have been missing for too many years and McCaffery ball running around like on the playground has been tough to watch. It may have worked years ago for Jerry Tarkanion and UNLV but they had far superior athletes at most spots on the floor than Iowa.

When another team has multiple players, who can just slowly back their way to the basket with a "crab dribble" or whatever the hell the announcers were calling it, against various Iowa defenders with almost no resistance, your team is WEAK. Patrick is the weakest, but he is not alone. JBo let nutboy completely take him out of the game, yet he played almost 30 min, long enough to pad his stats against the Wisky scrubs. Out rebounded by 17 to a team that doesn't have a monster center. Keegan was one of the best players on the court, but Wisconsin probably had 4 of the top 5. I'm not sure what the problem is, but maybe Fran should let the wrestling coaches have the team for part of each practice to create some toughness...

ADVERTISEMENT