ADVERTISEMENT

LuciousBDragon

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
Reactions: noleclone2
I wish I could do every work meeting on zoom, indefinitely. Also for all other work and social events that I would rather not attend anyway. Fulfilling an unwanted obligation with a half hour of zoom time is the best thing ever.

Meetings suck in general. 99% of them are a waste. That being said any meeting I've attended has been far more efficient and effective in person vs Zoom. Zoom meetings SUCK

When things went virtual a year ago there was a big push to always have your camera on, then it kinda went away, it came back in around the holidays and then stopped again.

now I’d bet only 1 out 20 call on MS Teams will I have my video on. I hate it.

We never ever did video conferencing. Skype audio conferences and if someone's covering content then they share their desktop. I never understood what lines of business required making consistent eye contact with your coworkers throughout the day.

Reactions: JMNSHO and nelly02
Very good article, thanks.

I am tired of videoconferencing. I know I piss people off by calling their mobile numbers but I don’t care. Sick of people wanting to schedule a 30 minute Zoom meeting for something that could be handled in a 10 minute phone call.
Agree. Two years ago most conversations would be a five-10 minute phone call. Now Zoom is the default and it is sucking resources (both mentally, physically, and technically). We didn’t use to have those conversations face-to-face so why do it now?

Basically, the Zoom interface has so much content now that it is draining our brains. In a real fact-to-face meeting I would focus on the speaker or their presentation with occasional glances around the room. Now, on a single pane of glass, I have to look at the speaker, their preso, and I can see every other attendee all at the same time. No wonder my eyes are tired. Plus, I can also see myself constantly making sure that if I scratch my nose it is not construed by others on the call as me picking my boogers. That and all the stress of not masturbating while on a call! I’m zapped at the end of the day...

What types of work include these regular zoom teleconferences? Is it people in middle ane upper management at small companies who are uses to spending a couple days a week in back to back to back meetings? I can't imagine the strain on my employer's network if everyone in our regular meetings was on video.

Zoom and Team meetings are too easy to coordinate. I'm in videoconferences from 7:30 AM to 2:30 PM today.

I just counted my calendar - 36 Zoom or Teams meeting this week.

Practically all of my meetings
the past five years have been virtual, and nearly all of them have been audio on
only.
What I find exhausting is when someone from our team in India will ping me on Teams first thing in the morning asking me to talk and the conversation goes on for an hour. If they would schedule a meeting in advance then I could mentally prepare.

I've been working remote for a year. A few calls have been Skype (video) calls but the majority are audio only. Fortunately my calls are with people across the country so I don't have to sit face-to-face in conference rooms. Those days are long gone ... I don't mind conference calls (that are productive).

One year in working remote and I am loving it. I do not want to go back to office environment ... For me, pros outweigh the cons in a landslide.

Reactions: srams21
What types of work include these regular zoom teleconferences? Is it people in middle ane upper management at small companies who are uses to spending a couple days a week in back to back to back meetings? I can't imagine the strain on my employer's network if everyone in our regular meetings was on video.
Just generally. They’ve largely replaced telephone calls.

Non-billable meetings are a rarity at a firm whether via zoom or in-person. Zoom has been great for short hearings and mediations. They can be hit or miss for depositions.

Speaker phone meetings are good enough.

I don’t need to see chicken necks and nostrils up close in HD.

an-attorney-accidentally-showed-up-with-the-cat-f-2-8386-1612904908-65_dblbig.jpg

Reactions: ryan2144
We use Teams. I see both sides. Some are very productive but we also are having way way too many due to the ease. And there are certain types of meetings at a local level, smaller and project related that would still be better in a room face to face.

Sidebar, one of the things about MS Teams I can’t stand / cracks me up is on our larger scale calls there is a constant stream of know it all/brown noser types bringing up points in the Teams chat even to the point of having running conversations during presentations. Like they already have forgot such a thing would never happen in a real presentation. It’s a good way to mark employees in other offices you want to stay away from.

Last edited:

I have to deal with that pretty often. It turns out a bunch of people on Zoom will in fact drain the internet down to nothing.

I also dont get why people need to see people's faces on these things. Did teleconferencing stop existing?

Some of you need to take control of your schedule. I set aside blocks of time to work so people can’t schedule meetings with me. Tuesday and Thursday are generally meeting days, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday are for production and Friday is always a wildcard.

People that don’t use cameras are weird to me.

Selling to and engaging an audience are much tougher via Zoom. I’d much rather be in a board room or conference room. Internal work meetings are one thing when you know all the participants, but it’s just tougher to build rapport in this environment. Especially in a B2B sale where the avg deal is $2M+.

I think one of the biggest problem is that schedulers like your Outlook calendar default to 30 minute increments. So people by default schedule 30 minutes for something that should take 10. It is a PITA to try to schedule a 10 or 15 minute meeting in Outlook compared to what it should be.

MS Teams here. Quick IMs have cut out alot if unnecessary calls.
This. IM's are great. If the conversation needs to escalate then hit the call (not video) button.

There is no reason to ever turn your camera on during a Teams/Zoom meeting. The presenter should be sharing their desktop and presenting. Everyone on the call listens and can unmute if they need to speak, and your second monitor has HROT pulled up so you can make insightful posts like this during another pointless meeting.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
ADVERTISEMENT