ADVERTISEMENT

Z's "First and Ten" article

sandiegohawk

HB Legend
Oct 1, 2001
Just read it. Enjoy this new weekly series.

https://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1820683&PT=4&PR=2

One point that Z made:

"Then he had the debacle of 1997 where what was possibly the most talented team he ever had (on paper) failed to meet national and fan expectations. I still view that as the worst year of Iowa football I've ever witnessed."

Funny thing about that '97 team is in my view (and from what I can remember from 18 years ago which may not be 100% accurate) is that team was possibly one play from that being a special season. Iowa was 4-0 and had back to back games @ #7 OSU (who finished the year #13) and @ #5 Michigan (who finished the year 12-0 and tied as #1 with Nebraska).

After the Hawks lost @ OSU they had Michigan beat. Dominated the first half and played them tough in the 2nd. Michigan was facing a 3rd and 15 or so in the 4th quarter. MI QB throws a short pass to the RB. Iowa's defender is right there. If he lets him make the catch and tackles him they are in 4th and long. Instead the defender runs up his back and hits him before the ball arrives. Pass Interference and 1st down. A few plays later Michigan scores and Iowa gets beat.

If memory serves Matt Sherman finished the game but ends up hurt and misses the rest of the regular season. There were rumors he hit hit something in the locker room after the game. Don't know if it is true. Never heard how he was really hurt. Anyone know?

Iowa leaves Ann Arbor with a loss and a hurt QB. A few games later Iowa loses back to back road games games vs Wisconsin by 3 and Northwestern by 1. Both games are in bad weather with a back up QB and a FG kicker who couldn't make anything. All of a sudden that team with a ton of talent finishes 4-4 in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiowaHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.