ADVERTISEMENT

“Data Scientist” Rebekah Jones enters deferred prosecution agreement, must admit guilt

The crazy is well established. I’d have to see further visual evidence for the hot part.
7bbba62b-744c-4869-9046-ca216fd43a5f-Rebekah-Jones.jpg

Reactions: h-hawk
She's the left's equivalent of Elon Musk. Crazy, but feel obligated to support her cause because she's against the other side.

I find it interesting how many on the right have elevated the crime she was accused of.

Jones was fired from her Department of Health job in May 2020. She was charged in January 2021 with illegally accessing the computer system in November 2020. Authorities accused her of sending a message on an internal Department of Health multi-user messaging account.

“It’s time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead. You know this is wrong. You don’t have to be part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it’s too late,” the message said. Jones has denied sending the message. In unsuccessfully seeking a dismissal of the case, her attorneys said the system was used by multiple people who shared a username and password.

She's being unfairly targeted. She's been a model citizen her entire life. :rolleyes:

Jones has had prior criminal charges. At the time the search warrant was executed, Jones was facing an active misdemeanor charge on allegations of cyberstalking a former student of hers who was a romantic partner and publishing sexual details about their relationship online. She was fired from her Florida State University teaching position for threatening to give a failing grade to her romantic partner's roommate. She faced prior charges including felony robbery, trespass, and contempt of court stemming from an alleged violation of a domestic violence restraining order related to the same ex-boyfriend, but those charges were dropped. In 2017, she had been arrested and charged with criminal mischief in the vandalism of his car, but the charges were dropped.

Jones faced criminal charges in Louisiana in 2016 where she was arrested and charged by the LSU Police Department with one count each of battery on a police officer and remaining after forbidden and two counts of resisting arrest after refusing to vacate a Louisiana State University office upon being dismissed from her staff position.

Reactions: runkpanole
She's being unfairly targeted. She's been a model citizen her entire life. :rolleyes:

Jones has had prior criminal charges. At the time the search warrant was executed, Jones was facing an active misdemeanor charge on allegations of cyberstalking a former student of hers who was a romantic partner and publishing sexual details about their relationship online. She was fired from her Florida State University teaching position for threatening to give a failing grade to her romantic partner's roommate. She faced prior charges including felony robbery, trespass, and contempt of court stemming from an alleged violation of a domestic violence restraining order related to the same ex-boyfriend, but those charges were dropped. In 2017, she had been arrested and charged with criminal mischief in the vandalism of his car, but the charges were dropped.

Jones faced criminal charges in Louisiana in 2016 where she was arrested and charged by the LSU Police Department with one count each of battery on a police officer and remaining after forbidden and two counts of resisting arrest after refusing to vacate a Louisiana State University office upon being dismissed from her staff position.

She’s just a passionate young lady.

Reactions: Finance85

What does one have to do with the other?

I find it interesting how many on the right have elevated the crime she was accused of.

Jones was fired from her Department of Health job in May 2020. She was charged in January 2021 with illegally accessing the computer system in November 2020. Authorities accused her of sending a message on an internal Department of Health multi-user messaging account.

“It’s time to speak up before another 17,000 people are dead. You know this is wrong. You don’t have to be part of this. Be a hero. Speak out before it’s too late,
” the message said. Jones has denied sending the message. In unsuccessfully seeking a dismissal of the case, her attorneys said the system was used by multiple people who shared a username and password.
She also stole personal information on DOH employees from the State.

I mentioned this to you before, but I guess you forgot.

Unauthorized access and pilfering of employee data from the State something you think should be ignored?

She also stole personal information on DOH employees from the State.

I mentioned this to you before, but I guess you forgot.

Unauthorized access and pilfering of employee data from the State something you think should be ignored?
Was she charged with that. If so, it was not mentioned in the article.

Was she charged with that. If so, it was not mentioned in the article.
Is this the day you learned what you find in the media is rarely comprehensive?
Or is that day still to come?

I’d say check the wiki, but curiously someone has scrubbed the recent legal issues.

Here’s from part of what was edited away:

On December 7 Jones accepted a deferred prosecution agreement admitting guilt and avoiding trial on a felony count of offenses against users of (computers) where the prosecution alleged “Evidence retrieved from a search warrant (in December 2020) shows that Jones illegally accessed the (FDOH) system sending a message to approximately 1,750 people and downloaded confidential FDOH data and saved it to her devices.”

When they searched what they recovered from the warrant she had a copy of the DOH personnel information that she had pilfered.

The database contains personal identifying information. She illegally accessed that information.
I'm not arguing that. I've seen her accused on this board of falsifying data, stealing data, disseminating data, etc. If there was proof, she would've been charged with that. She wasn't.

I'm not arguing that. I've seen her accused on this board of falsifying data, stealing data, disseminating data, etc. If there was proof, she would've been charged with that. She wasn't.
I can’t speak for the falsifying data as I don’t know. She disseminated data she wasn’t allowed to access. Part of her plea agreement is returning data that she isn’t allowed to have access to. There are plenty of hills to die on regarding Covid and the state. She isn’t the one. She’s nuts and she broke the law.

I can’t speak for the falsifying data as I don’t know. She disseminated data she wasn’t allowed to access. Part of her plea agreement is returning data that she isn’t allowed to have access to. There are plenty of hills to die on regarding Covid and the state. She isn’t the one. She’s nuts and she broke the law.
Maybe but I don't believe she's what the ardent supporters of DeSantis is making her out to be. Her biggest crime in many of their eyes was speaking out against him and for that he again used the power of the State against an opponent.

Maybe but I don't believe she's what the ardent supporters of DeSantis is making her out to be. Her biggest crime in many of their eyes was speaking out against him and for that he again used the power of the State against an opponent.
Her biggest crime was accessing confidential data and no matter her reasons, they are still illegal. It’s fine to believe her cause was righteous, but what happens when someone on the other side accesses data for a cause they believe was righteous? Do we give a pass to Trump for taking data or information that was not his to take? We don’t and we should never allow the violation of laws just because we agree with the person violating those laws.

Reactions: seminole97
I haven’t seen her accused or charged with falsifying data.

She did lock out staff from updating the dashboard and made unapproved changes, which is enough to get you fired in a role like hers. It wasn’t accidental and went beyond in terms of insubordination what anyone could tolerate, never mind in the midst of the pandemic.
The kook went rogue.
When she used unauthorized access to the FDENS alert system to spam DOH employees she wasn’t smart enough to realize it would gather her IP address and Comcast would tell the government who was leasing that IP address when it happened. That was the basis of the FDLE warrant to search her home and that is where it was found she had saved DOH personnel info from FDENS using her unauthorized access.
Initially she lied and said she didn’t do it, and has now pled.

I don’t thinking changing the governor changes how DOH and law enforcement would respond to actions like that.

Her biggest crime was accessing confidential data and no matter her reasons, they are still illegal. It’s fine to believe her cause was righteous, but what happens when someone on the other side accesses data for a cause they believe was righteous? Do we give a pass to Trump for taking data or information that was not his to take? We don’t and we should never allow the violation of laws just because we agree with the person violating those laws.
I never said she didn't commit a crime. What I am saying is the severity of her offense was overblown by those who are ardent DeSantis supporters because she went after him. And, we all know one cannot challenge the king without outsized repercussions.

I never said she didn't commit a crime. What I am saying is the severity of her offense was overblown by those who are ardent DeSantis supporters because she went after him. And, we all know one cannot challenge the king without outsized repercussions.
Well, when you make yourself a target. Had she been just some random employee, she would have been charged and there would have been one article and maybe a follow up at the conclusion. Nobody forced her to commit a crime. Yes, it’s overblown, but she made herself out to be the martyr.

She committed actual crimes that would get anyone investigated, arrested and charged.

She lied and tried to pretend it was political persecution and ardent DeSantis opponents swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Inspector General also found her whistleblower complaints meritless. But it doesn’t stop people who ‘want to believe’.

She committed actual crimes that would get anyone investigated, arrested and charged.

She lied and tried to pretend it was political persecution and ardent DeSantis opponents swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Inspector General also found her whistleblower complaints meritless. But it doesn’t stop people who ‘want to believe’.
And you lied when you said she was charged with stealing personal information as have others on this board who have stated she falsified information because as a DeSantis supporter, it's what you 'want to believe'. She was rightfully charged with a third-degree felony for accessing the DOH database and leaving messages for her coworkers. Not stealing. Not falsifying information.

And you lied when you said she was charged with stealing personal information as have others on this board who have stated she falsified information because as a DeSantis supporter, it's what you 'want to believe'. She was rightfully charged with a third-degree felony for accessing the DOH database and leaving messages for her coworkers. Not stealing. Not falsifying information.
As part of her agreement, she has to return data she doesn’t legally have access to. She did steal data, otherwise it makes no sense to have that clause in the agreement. The only accusation that hasn’t truly been proven or stipulated too is whether she falsified data.

And you lied when you said she was charged with stealing personal information as have others on this board who have stated she falsified information because as a DeSantis supporter, it's what you 'want to believe'.

Over the weekend, Jones took to social media calling reports she admitted guilt false. In a video posted to her YouTube account, she said she had only admitted to having a Department of Health roster on her private computer.

In case connecting dots isn’t your thing, the ‘roster’ she’s referencing is the personnel information she pilfered from FDENS.

Can you even acknowledge I’ve told you truth about what she did this entire time?

She was rightfully charged with a third-degree felony for accessing the DOH database and leaving messages for her coworkers. Not stealing. Not falsifying information.
Sounds like you’re getting into the minutiae of the plea agreement (what prosecutors and her legal team agree to, which is separate from what she actually did).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT