ADVERTISEMENT

“I get emotional every time I see Chris Street’s picture out there on the wall.”

Mixed feelings about Fred, but can't argue with what he said. And you may recall he wore Chris's number the rest of that season, I believe.

When was the last time a native Iowan on ISU’s team wore 40? They did that for several years after Street died

I have a lot of respect for Fred. He's a class individual (along the lines of Kirk). I covered ISU basketball as a student at ISU and had the chance to interview Fred on many occasions. He was as genuine then as he is today. As a Hawk fan, I can take off my blinders and acknowledge Fred is just a good human being.

Mark Currie in 2007-2008.

The first to wear it was Morgan Wheat in 1993....then Hoiberg, Loren Meyer, Klay Edwards, Brad Davis, Dave Braet and Ross Marsden.

Loren Meyer was the most memorable to me. I’d swear he wore that number for seven or eight years.

One of my favorite moments. Just classic.

Oh my god I never saw that. That is pure awesome.

I lived in Ames growing up a bit and Freddy dated my best friend's sister for a brief moment when they were in high school. I don't claim to "know" him but met him a few times and he was a nice guy from my limited exposure to him. I actually played in a few pick-up games at open gym (he was 4 years older than me) but got to watch him up close his junior and senior years in HS - he is still the best HS player I have ever seen play in person. He could do everything and it seemed like he never missed.

I have a lot of respect for Fred. He's a class individual (along the lines of Kirk). I covered ISU basketball as a student at ISU and had the chance to interview Fred on many occasions. He was as genuine then as he is today. As a Hawk fan, I can take off my blinders and acknowledge Fred is just a good human being.
And also he's building on transfers like at ISU.

He only wore it for one year (1994-1995). Edwards wore if for all 4 of his seasons.

Looking it up, ISU crushed Iowa that year in CHA. ISU started out pretty hot and fizzled a bit in the Big 8. That had to be one of the last years of the Big 8. ISU went on to go 1 and 1 in the NCAA.

Iowa went to the NIT and had a decent run before Pistol Pete Lisicky hit the game winning buzzer beater.

Looking it up, ISU crushed Iowa that year in CHA. ISU started out pretty hot and fizzled a bit in the Big 8. That had to be one of the last years of the Big 8. ISU went on to go 1 and 1 in the NCAA.

Iowa went to the NIT and had a decent run before Pistol Pete Lisicky hit the game winning buzzer beater.

Yep, 1995-1996 was the last year for the Big 8.

Yep, 1995-1996 was the last year for the Big 8.

They also had a conf tournament in the Big 8. I guess I never knew that or at least never thought about that. The B1G didn’t start their conf tourney until 97-98.

They also had a conf tournament in the Big 8. I guess I never knew that or at least never thought about that. The B1G didn’t start their conf tourney until 97-98.

Something else to be noted....Iowa was in the Big 8 at the start of the 1900s. Somehow, they were part of 2 conferences at the same time, as they were also parts of the Western Conference for those years as well.

Reactions: iahawks10

He also couldn't wait to get out of Ames once he moved back to coach ISU, so you can tell he's a reasonable guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT