ADVERTISEMENT

I blame the staff for Freeman not being able to stay on the floor.

Nagarunja

All-Conference
May 1, 2009
He’s the most valuable player on the team IMO. Every time he picks up 2 early fouls which seems about every game, the other team goes on a run.

Such coaching incompetence to not have coached that out of him by now.

Freeman is too aggressive...so that is one problem
Refs like to call fouls on Freshmen---Keegan Murray went through something similar but it didn't matter because Fran didn't start Keegan.

Seems like filmwork and coaching would help.

Other issue is after Freeman gets his 1st, Fran should bring in Dembele and Sit Krikke. Dimbele can to guard the opposing team's Big man and take some pressure off Freeman.

I agree with OP, Freeman is key for Iowa. As soon as he sits, rebounding goes to chit. Krikke has to be the worst post defender in country. Everybody scores on him.

I think Freeman switches off his man on screens and ends up guarding a guard 15 feet from the rim too. Leaving his man inside against a short guard.

Maybe this is a joke, if not a huge reach. He commits some dumb ass fouls. I assure a bad coach talks about it constantly!
Sometimes, but I feel a lot of his fouls are more “Subtle” and ones he needs to do a better job of avoiding. But as was mentioned , he is playing both C and PF much of the time, Krikke not your typical PF, more of a 3/4

Reactions: cmhawks99
Fran said on the post game radio that they work with Owen everyday, he'll learn, next year he will be a much better defensive player and hopefully add some some length to his shots.

Freeman is too aggressive...so that is one problem
Refs like to call fouls on Freshmen---Keegan Murray went through something similar but it didn't matter because Fran didn't start Keegan.

Seems like filmwork and coaching would help.

Other issue is after Freeman gets his 1st, Fran should bring in Dembele and Sit Krikke. Dimbele can to guard the opposing team's Big man and take some pressure off Freeman.

I agree with OP, Freeman is key for Iowa. As soon as he sits, rebounding goes to chit. Krikke has to be the worst post defender in country. Everybody scores on him.
It will be better next year when krikke is gone and dembele starts and can guard the big from the start and allow freeman the freedom to do what he does best. I get krikke can score but personally I would be playing dembele a lot more but what do I know 🤷

Maybe this is a joke, if not a huge reach. He commits some dumb ass fouls. I assure a bad coach talks about it constantly!
I think he’s the most valuable player behind Perkins. Our defense is night and day based upon whether he’s in there. He knows position, hedges well and blocks shots. Me thinks his main problem is that he reaches too much for steals, although he is good at it, and he needs to bulk up a bit so he is harder to push around. For a freshman, he’s way ahead of the curve.

i was thinking at the twelve minute mark in the first half Fran should pull him. 30 seconds later he got his 2nd foul. I agree Fran should bring in Dembele to help him out.

I think he’s the most valuable player behind Perkins. Our defense is night and day based upon whether he’s in there. He knows position, hedges well and blocks shots. Me thinks his main problem is that he reaches too much for steals, although he is good at it, and he needs to bulk up a bit so he is harder to push around. For a freshman, he’s way ahead of the curve.

i was thinking at the twelve minute mark in the first half Fran should pull him. 30 seconds later he got his 2nd foul. I agree Fran should bring in Dembele to help him out.

I’m honestly not sure at this point, with this team, in this season, our defense is ever even decent… There have been times in the past where they played some decent defense but not this year.

I have coached high school girls and have had players who couldn't stop themselves from fouling - committing really stupid fouls - mostly reaching in after the opponent gets a defensive rebound. I had one player who couldn't stop it for 4 years. She fouled out in the 3rd quarter of a regional final at Kennedy her senior year. She walked back to the bench and I just looked at her and held my hands up. Nothing else to say.

She's actually a high school coach now, too.

He’s the most valuable player on the team IMO. Every time he picks up 2 early fouls which seems about every game, the other team goes on a run.

Right, the players should have strings on them like puppets

I have coached high school girls and have had players who couldn't stop themselves from fouling - committing really stupid fouls - mostly reaching in after the opponent gets a defensive rebound. I had one player who couldn't stop it for 4 years. She fouled out in the 3rd quarter of a regional final at Kennedy her senior year. She walked back to the bench and I just looked at her and held my hands up. Nothing else to say.

Yeah, I know…it’s strange. They get it, they can see others do it, but they are almost powerless to stop.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yes, the OP is spot on. No big man in the history of basketball has ever struggled with foul trouble...until one coached by Fran. ;)

Reactions: Underscore2
I’m honestly not sure at this point, with this team, in this season, our defense is ever even decent… There have been times in the past where they played some decent defense but not this year.
I think they’ve been playing better defense in the Big, but last night was a regression. I attribute that partially to limited minutes from Freeman and Dix, the best two defenders that we have.

Penn State shot 52% from the 3 and we shot 27%. They usually shoot 30% and their best 3 point shooter was playing injured. That’s just bad defense and bad luck.

He has some very poor defense habits. I am hoping that with experience that will change.

If you want to blame the staff for something, how about sitting Josh for almost 10 minutes after getting his 3rd foul. He came in for a minute or two and then got benched for Pat. That was a little frustrating.

When you figure out how to stop that, let me know.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Typical comments - blame the coach for everything that is wrong and refuse to hold the player accountable for things he has probably been told and coached not to do a hundred times.

1000s at this age….hell I told my daughters and my sons 100 times a piece if you swat down at the ball, It us going to be a foul, 9 out of 10 times.

They still did it & ironically now, watching games they say, “why is that “guy” so stupid, that’s always going to be a foul”…..DOH!!! 😳

I think they’ve been playing better defense in the Big, but last night was a regression. I attribute that partially to limited minutes from Freeman and Dix, the best two defenders that we have.

Penn State shot 52% from the 3 and we shot 27%. They usually shoot 30% and their best 3 point shooter was playing injured. That’s just bad defense and bad luck.
I just watched a bit at the tail end…..This PS guard “Ace”
made a couple or three shots late from out of his ass….I was thinking Butch Cassidy…..”Who are these guys?”

I don’t get what one shouldn’t blame Fran and staff for.

Fran is head man. He gets all the blame (and credit) and should.

You know, you're probably all right. McCaffrey and the staff have probably never mentioned this issue to Owen, nor, heaven forbid, try to coach him through it. OR, perhaps Owen for the first time in his career is being matched up, night after night, against a truly talented big man and he's struggling to adjust. I do think there is something to be said for the notion that the refs seem to be willing to call more ticky-tack (or downright phantom) fouls against Owen, something a lot of freshman go through.

Reactions: joelbc1
Sometimes that just doesn’t work, Nara. Refs have game plans just like teams have fans plans..Most freshmen don’t get by with much as compared to upper class men.
I don't really blame officials too much here - lord knows officiating is always an adventure but Freeman has 2 bad habits he needs to break imo. 1) be better at swatting UP vs swatting DOWN towards the player; it's like extending your arm on a push-off, contact or no it's going to be called more often than note. 2) stop jumping at every ball fake. he's picked up alot of calls b/c he jumped early and offensive player then jumps into him, resulting in a foul.

I do agree that I think one adjustment Fran could make would be to bring Dembele in for Owen at under 16 timeout or so and maybe let Freeman calm down a bit.

Reactions: Buffalo43
Fran should let him play with 2 fouls in 1st half to give us a chance to win
Dear Buffalo…. Fran doesn’t let anyone “play” after they pick up his second foul in the first half. Ever. Give it up.
Two things a beat writer for Sienna promised Iowa fans about Fean….1)his teams will score a lot and 2) when a guy picks up his second fouls in the first half, he will sit the rest of tge half.
Both these “promises” have proven true to date.

Dear Buffalo…. Fran doesn’t let anyone “play” after they pick up his second foul in the first half. Ever. Give it up.
Two things a beat writer for Sienna promised Iowa fans about Fean….1)his teams will score a lot and 2) when a guy picks up his second fouls in the first half, he will sit the rest of tge half.
Both these “promises” have proven true to date.
Let's not forget that when freeman left with 2 fouls psu went on their run. Freeman did not play again in the first half and ended the game with only 2 fouls.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

heck yes, coaches fault he continues to try to do more than he should…love the phrase, “coach it out of him”. LMAO

Freeman is very mobile and does a great job moving his feet on the perimeter and blocking shots at the rim as a help defender. Unfortunately, he currently lacks the strength to be an adequate low post defender. Hopefully with a year in the weight room / cafeteria, this won't be problem next year. But it's a major problem right now and one that won't go away before the end of the season. When he is in the game, the other team goes right at him with post-ups. I think Minnesota was the first team to try this and when they had success with it, every team that we have played since has tried to follow this template, generally with success so we are going to continue seeing it.

Fran has talked about coaching Owen to avoid fouls - and this board has consistently criticized Fran for his players not being physical enough because of his "two foul jail" policy. Foul avoidance is usually one of Fran's strengths as a defensive coach, perhaps his only one. The real problem is that our two previous Center recruits, Ogundele and Mulvey, were both massive busts so now we are completely dependent on true freshmen to man the center position. To be clear, that is 100% on Fran, IMO. As HC, he is responsible for the Ogundele/Mulvey recruiting/development disaster.

It looked like Fran subbed Owen out vs Minny earlier than normal. Maybe to calm him down a bit.

If you want to blame the staff for something, how about sitting Josh for almost 10 minutes after getting his 3rd foul. He came in for a minute or two and then got benched for Pat. That was a little frustrating.

When you figure out how to stop that, let me know.
simple, have them practice on defense with their hands in their pockets. slide the feet...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT