ADVERTISEMENT

“Terry”

Bones Malone

All-Conference
Jan 21, 2019
Have to share my morning experience. I’ve not had Flo until today. I’ve heard you clowns(meant in a good way), talk about the piece “Terry” on Flo. So, I have time to kill while painfully waiting for 9 am to arrive. I decide to watch it. All I can say is WOW. What a great piece to help get ready for BigTen’s.
I don’t think they could have done a better job with it. Gripping, loving, raw, emotional, words are even hard to describe it. Bawled my eyes out. Absolutely loved it. If you’ve not seen it. Go find it. Watch it. You won’t be disappointed. Maybe watch it tomorrow ahead of the wrestling. It’s been around awhile, so this may be “old news” to most of you but felt it like “religion” this morning. Growing up in Iowa & seeing Terry & Tom wrestle in the Lakes Conference. It hit home for me. Go Hawks. Fight for Iowa!

You will not regret getting flo, it’s expanded my wrestling universe and knowledge so much.

Films you should watch off the top of my head

Kerry Kolat
Ernie Monaco
Mark Perry
Steve Mocco
Ben Askren

Walk around interviews Bader does(Downey, Marsteller)
And anything with Alger

they do a fantastic job IMO. Their fire TV app is slick too.

I was a HS senior at Iowa camp in the summer of 2000 during the week of the trials. Tom gave a great talk to the group from an auditorium telling a lot of the stories they they told in the movie.

A short while later (maybe the next day) Terry made the team.

I happened to be lacing my shoes up in the field house for practice when Terry walked in quietly with his gym bag ready to start instructing. Bob Siddens (Gable's HS Coach) was standing right there.

Terry said to Siddens, "I did it. It wasn't pretty, but I did it." Siddens hugged him, told him he was proud of him and that now there was work to to.

I might have been the only person that heard it that conversation, but I, being a nobody from Michigan felt pretty privileged to be there.

Watching the movie all these years later brought me right back to that summer.

Great stuff.

My memories of them are a little different. I saw them when they both weighed ~85 lbs and one wrestled 98 & the other wrestled 105. Seems like they switched around some, each wrestling 98, likely as fairness to both. They were tough little sh!ts but they took their lumps that freshman year. When I see Nelson wrestling up a weight (or two) I chuckle because it’s reminiscent of Tom & Terry. They likely know from experience it will only make Nelson better & serve as a character builder. What great leaders & role models for their wrestlers.

I have been a member of Flo now for 3 years and swear by it. I have been able to watch great wrestling from several colleges throughout each year as well as some great stories about individuals of the sport. The reason I joined was because I relocated to Florida from Indianapolis. I still am a season ticket holder but do not get to come back for all home meets, so with flo and BTen Network I see most every dual. But I hate giving up my three seats, I have had them since 1985 so I keep them as of now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT