ADVERTISEMENT

Pregaming for the BiG10’s

Yes - both the venison and golden oysters were harvested from my timber in northeast iowa. I bread them in powdered panko and corn starch. AIr fryer works great.
How do you store the golden oysters? Do you eat the whole thing or just the caps?

I am fired up! What day is it, oh that’s right it’s Wednesday. I decided to start this thread early, because I am truly pumped for our team leading into this weekend.
Some may still have forgotten that we lost three of our starters for the season yet we are number two in the rankings.
We are healthy and peeking at the right time. The team is together and focused, it’s time to show what we are made of.
Now, as far as the pregaming, I was actually planning on being in Maryland for this weekend, but those plans were diverted by my sister-in-law and her sister.
So what do wrestlers do, we move forward and push through it. I will be home for the weekend Getting the boat ready for the spring and preparing the food for our big 10 watch party.
On the menu,
Breakfast Saturday morning will be fried eggs with bacon and low-carb English muffins and protein pancakes also mostly for my daughter.
Mid afternoon snack is Cod/Seabass Fishcakes and chips with salad.
Dinner for Saturday is PRIME RIB seasoned to perfection, roasted with red potatoes and carrots. I make a horseradish sauce that goes on everything along with an Ajou. LETS GO HAWKS!!!
WHAT SAY YOU
I like having you around here Grip, so I was happy to see you mix a salad and some carrots in here. With all that other talk about cheesesteak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I was getting concerned for your arteries. 😉

I like having you around here Grip, so I was happy to see you mix a salad and some carrots in here. With all that other talk about cheesesteak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I was getting concerned for your arteries. 😉
Thanks buddy, feeling is mutual! believe or not I have been doing an extremely low carbohydrate diet for a while, most days I'm sticking to just meat kinda like this Lion diet thing, I also do some fasting here and there and I can tell you this, everything is better. My weight, blood pressure, cholesterol are all down and any inflamation I may have had is better.
I have a right elbow that is kinda like a science project, it feels better. I have never had knee problems but around 2 years ago (50 yrs old) I started having this nagging weakness/pain in my right knee, it would give out with a bit of pain, that's gone! I'm lifting again on a regular basis and I actually starting hitting some mat time recently again. I eat veggies and fruit but the bulk of my diet nowadays is Meat, fish and eggs these days, I go off 1 meal a week with pasta potatoes and such, this has been working for me I can tell you that.

Last edited:
How do you store the golden oysters? Do you eat the whole thing or just the caps?
Couple of ways. Dry and pulverize into a powder for soups and risotto. Blanch and freeze. Caps are better than the stems but I don’t mind. I usually chop them up anyway. When fresh I don’t notice too much of a difference but when frozen the stems get tough. I do all of this with Pheasant Back’s too.

Bass are usually too mushy to eat unless really small, imo. (Depending on type, maybe?)
Smallmouth are a challenge and fun to catch. Largemouth may be fun to catch but there is a reason why you start with them to teach your kids. Catching one is about as easy and a sure of a thing as a hooker. Why would anyone need to eat a bass? Stripers - I guess.

Big fan of how he’s wrestled all year, he’s never been in the post season so my expectations are tempered. Wouldn’t shock me to see him there, was just looking at Franek for experience. I could see all 4 in finals

You got it, I would love to set up a Hawkeye fishing trip with some of you guys.
So obviously we will talk about this after the nationals and I will start a thread, but out of the guys that liked this message or anyone else that would be interested, would you guys make the trek to Long Island NY to do an offshore fishing trip on my boat? Or you guys prefer to do a destination like Florida/Alaska/great lakes type thing? I am down for any of the above and I can take up to 8 guys on my boat.
Asking now so I can start planning, let me know any questions or suggestions.

Smallmouth are a challenge and fun to catch. Largemouth may be fun to catch but there is a reason why you start with them to teach your kids. Catching one is about as easy and a sure of a thing as a hooker. Why would anyone need to eat a bass? Stripers - I guess.
I am with you on the bass. Walleye is my favorite but they have gotten so scarce around me that I have gone totally catch and release on them. If I want fresh fish then I’ll take a couple of smaller Northern. A little harder to clean but loads of them around.

The Bass I was referring to is Black Seabass, one of the best eating fish in the ocean and bountiful

I am with you on the bass. Walleye is my favorite but they have gotten so scarce around me that I have gone totally catch and release on them. If I want fresh fish then I’ll take a couple of smaller Northern. A little harder to clean but loads of them around.
I go to far Northwest Ontario for my annual trip. Almost to where the road ends. Jigs with salted minnows is all I use for walleyes. Took the trip with my father maybe 35 times until he recently passed, then I went up on my own. Kind of a Vision Quest. Almost ashamed to say on that trip, which in September we are usually almost always alone in the lodge, I finally learned about the cheeks. Freshwater scallops they are! Nothing better than a Canadian Walleye. But I agree Northern Pike is a good eating fish too if you are careful with the bones.

Big fan of how he’s wrestled all year, he’s never been in the post season so my expectations are tempered. Wouldn’t shock me to see him there, was just looking at Franek for experience. I could see all 4 in finals
Franek hurt his chances with the last second losses. Could have reasonably been in the finals with a 2 or 3 seed. I can’t see him beating Haines though.

Reactions: blcoach80
I go to far Northwest Ontario for my annual trip. Almost to where the road ends. Jigs with salted minnows is all I use for walleyes. Took the trip with my father maybe 35 times until he recently passed, then I went up on my own. Kind of a Vision Quest. Almost ashamed to say on that trip, which in September we are usually almost always alone in the lodge, I finally learned about the cheeks. Freshwater scallops they are! Nothing better than a Canadian Walleye. But I agree Northern Pike is a good eating fish too if you are careful with the bones.
Yep Canada is the way to go. I live in what used to be big time walleye country 30 years ago.. The lakes around here are pressured so hard year round that I have multiple neighbors who make the drive to Lake Erie to fill their freezers. I don’t mind though. Plenty of other species to catch and still can’t beat the scenery.

Bass are usually too mushy to eat unless really small, imo. (Depending on type, maybe?)
Never seen a mushy bass.
On a large mouth the filet along the back and above the ribs is so thick you have to make 2 or 3 filets out of it. They are decent in chunks if you deep fry them in a beer batter. I’ve only had them 2 or 3 times.
Northern is good, just have to have plenty of newspaper to wipe off the snot before you filet them. I never have really mastered the Y Bones. It’s a real art form to clean it well.
Walleye is my favorite, especially the cheeks in garlic butter.

Couple of ways. Dry and pulverize into a powder for soups and risotto. Blanch and freeze. Caps are better than the stems but I don’t mind. I usually chop them up anyway. When fresh I don’t notice too much of a difference but when frozen the stems get tough. I do all of this with Pheasant Back’s too.
I find the stems to be bitter. I took your suggestion last year and have chopped up the caps and used them in Lasagna and other Italian dishes. I am looking forward to putting them in a marinara sauce I’ve been making recently.
Did you ever get on any Jumbo Perch in Ontario?

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
Fun to catch, but not the best eating. Crappies are great. Anything in the perch family is great to eat (walleyes, sauger, perch).
Now saltwater bass are another "kettle of fish" (intended). Striper, sea bass, rock bass: all good, but almost nothing beats fresh walleye IMO.

On a large mouth the filet along the back and above the ribs is so thick you have to make 2 or 3 filets out of it. They are decent in chunks if you deep fry them in a beer batter. I’ve only had them 2 or 3 times.
Northern is good, just have to have plenty of newspaper to wipe off the snot before you filet them. I never have really mastered the Y Bones. It’s a real art form to clean it well.
Walleye is my favorite, especially the cheeks in garlic butter.
I like fishing for Northerns and eating them too. It’s an art to remove y bones. I really like poor man’s lobster. Freeze northern, boil and drown in butter.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
So obviously we will talk about this after the nationals and I will start a thread, but out of the guys that liked this message or anyone else that would be interested, would you guys make the trek to Long Island NY to do an offshore fishing trip on my boat? Or you guys prefer to do a destination like Florida/Alaska/great lakes type thing? I am down for any of the above and I can take up to 8 guys on my boat.
Asking now so I can start planning, let me know any questions or suggestions.
Count me in. I'm already in Douglaston.

The trip to Alaska to catch halibut is my favorite. Love the 70 pounders. Cousin's kid caught a 270 lb one and it was like eating a steak from an old bull. Flavor was good but it was a bit tough. The flakes were thick.

My favorite is to make a cabbage slaw with chopped cabbage, red onion, pickled jalapeno, cilantro, tomato, salt, pepper, lime juice, touch of vinegar and some oil. A piece of good white fish, slaw and a fresh tortilla makes a mighty fine fish taco.

I find the stems to be bitter. I took your suggestion last year and have chopped up the caps and used them in Lasagna and other Italian dishes. I am looking forward to putting them in a marinara sauce I’ve been making recently.
Did you ever get on any Jumbo Perch in Ontario?
Not many perch as we go pretty far north. Just south of Pickle Lake. Mainly just Walleye and Northern with the occasional sauger. Some of the lakes are supposed to have Lake Trout but we have never caught any. Whitefish too but again never caught any. Too far north for Muskie.

Fun to catch, but not the best eating. Crappies are great. Anything in the perch family is great to eat (walleyes, sauger, perch).
Now saltwater bass are another "kettle of fish" (intended). Striper, sea bass, rock bass: all good, but almost nothing beats fresh walleye IMO.
Bass are damn good eating. Just depends on how you prepare them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT