ADVERTISEMENT

“We Need a Covid Commission” – Bill Maher Says Fauci and Democrats Refuse to Admit They Got It Wrong

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2023
Bill Maher, the outspoken host of Real Time with Bill Maher, recently delivered a blistering critique of America’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, highlighting a series of missteps and failures that characterized the nation’s initial reaction. Maher emphasized how panic-induced overreactions led to chaotic scenes, such as the mismanagement aboard the Costa Luminosa cruise ship and the confusion at airports. These incidents underscored America’s tendency to react impulsively rather than respond effectively to crises, resulting in a costly toll on public health and confidence in government institutions.

Throughout the pandemic, dissenting voices were often marginalized or dismissed, preventing valuable insights and alternative perspectives from being considered. Maher pointed out how individuals who questioned certain measures or narratives were ridiculed or suppressed, hindering open dialogue and critical thinking. This dismissal of dissent not only eroded public trust but also contributed to the perpetuation of false narratives and misinformation, further complicating efforts to combat the virus and its impact.

Maher also addressed the evolving understanding of the virus’s origins, highlighting the shifting narratives surrounding its emergence. What were once dismissed as conspiracy theories are now being reconsidered, with mounting evidence suggesting the possibility of a lab leak in Wuhan. Maher criticized the reluctance to retract false narratives and urged for greater transparency and accountability in investigating the virus’s origins to prevent future pandemics.

Central to Maher’s argument is the absence of a comprehensive examination of America’s pandemic response through a dedicated Covid commission. He emphasized the importance of conducting a thorough analysis of the missteps and failures in handling the crisis to learn from past mistakes and better prepare for future emergencies. A Covid commission would provide a platform for accountability, transparency, and reflection, fostering a deeper understanding of the systemic challenges and vulnerabilities exposed by the pandemic.

The pandemic has highlighted critical lessons that should have been learned but remain unheeded. Maher underscored the importance of proper air ventilation, research ethics, and crisis management strategies in mitigating the spread of infectious diseases. However, despite these lessons, certain practices, such as gain-of-function research and the misuse of relief funds, persist, raising concerns about our preparedness for future health crises.

Maher called for accountability and transparency in the distribution of Covid relief funds, citing instances of fraud and misuse that have undermined public trust. He emphasized the need for stringent oversight measures to ensure that relief funds are allocated responsibly and effectively to address the ongoing challenges posed by the pandemic.

Central to Maher’s critique is the need for broader public discourse and engagement in shaping pandemic response strategies and policies. He argued that a more inclusive approach to decision-making would foster greater trust, cooperation, and resilience in the face of crises. By involving stakeholders at all levels, from policymakers to community leaders to individual citizens, we can collectively work towards more effective and equitable solutions.

The establishment of a Covid commission could have far-reaching implications for public perception, trust in institutions, and government accountability. By conducting a thorough examination of America’s pandemic response, the commission could help identify systemic weaknesses, hold responsible parties accountable, and recommend reforms to strengthen our preparedness and response capabilities for future emergencies.

As Maher’s critique resonates with many, it serves as a sobering reminder of the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. By learning from the mistakes of the past and embracing a culture of accountability, transparency, and collaboration, we can build a more resilient society capable of confronting future crises with confidence and resolve.

What do you think? Do you agree with Maher’s assessment of America’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic as panicky, inefficient, and stuck on stupid? Why or why not? How do you think the reluctance to acknowledge mistakes and the dismissal of dissenting opinions have influenced public trust in health authorities and government institutions?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...689349b2fb4aa3ad8023e52a1b9860&ei=31#image=10

The only tangible thing that he said about it was when he says folks say are you better off today than 4 years ago, thinking that they will get to say no. But they are lying.

That is f'ing bullshit. We were in pandemic, millions were dying, millions were losing their jobs......F yeah we are better off than we were 4 years ago.

Some on here have been asking for a commission to examine and learn from our Covid response.
Nobody seems to want to revisit those decisions (and take ownership of them) for some reason.
I think it's very worthwhile for that to occur. Here's the issue: While it probably wasn't perfect, there was a pandemic response plan in place that Trump and his administration threw out upon entering office. They never bothered to replace it. They were the ones in charge in 2020, let's not forget.

I think it's very worthwhile for that to occur. Here's the issue: While it probably wasn't perfect, there was a pandemic response plan in place that Trump and his administration threw out upon entering office. They never bothered to replace it. They were the ones in charge in 2020, let's not forget.
I'm not looking to blame either political party, or President.
I do not want our leaders, across multiple agencies, to make the same mistakes and poor decisions that they did, next time.
It was an unprecedented pandemic event. After action reports are required following most real life events...except this one for some reason.

I do not want our leaders, across multiple agencies, to make the same mistakes and poor decisions that they did, next time.
It was an unprecedented pandemic event. After action reports are required following most real life events...except this one for some reason.
i'd be willing to bet the federal agencies did after action reviews...the problem is that those agencies (fairly or unfairly) became such political hot-potatoes that the public isn't really interested in their internal reviews

let's be honest about what maher is asking for here...he wants some kind of reckoning or punishment for the people he thinks were in the wrong

The problem is many people seem to forget the facts and somehow blame Fauci for everything. In a crisis, leadership matters and we had piss poor leadership at that time that literally threw away a pandemic preparedness plan just a few years earlier. So yes, some blame has to happpen in that. In real life, when doing root cause analysis, if a new CEO threw away a safety plan, and there was a big loss of life due partly to that, I'm pretty sure that would come up, no?

And don't get me wrong, I don't think either party had the answers. We did a really shitty job overall. And I don't have faith that we will do any better next time.

i would welcome a real examination and after action review type anlaysis of our covid response

but we all know it would just turn into a partisan blame-fest, bickering sh*t storm..which would accomplish nothing
This is the sad truth in regards to the state of our country.
But as I always say….try or die trying.

I like Bill and find him entertaining, but he is not always right on all issues. He thinks he is though. I'd like for him to say I was wrong at some point.

When you're making up the rules for the next pandemic just keep in mind you might be part of the elderly group and so your views might be a little different.

People like to say we 'threw away a pandemic response plan'. That really isn't true. It's not like it disappeared and nobody knew what it said. Those plans existed federally, at the state levels, and at local levels. Nobody used them and went completely off script because everyone panicked, there wasn't much consistency, and the messaging was changing all the time.

People like to say we 'threw away a pandemic response plan'. That really isn't true. It's not like it disappeared and nobody knew what it said. Those plans existed federally, at the state levels, and at local levels. Nobody used them and went completely off script because everyone panicked, there wasn't much consistency, and the messaging was changing all the time.
Like everything else in America, it turned into a cash grab and the money flowed to the top.

As was said in the earlier post n this topic, he is wrong on all accounts.
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

He gave you the most important thing that would come out of an after action report. There was a playbook based on past pandemic events, from after action reports. Because it was written by Obama, Cheeto and crew threw it out. There was also an office in China set up as an early warning station to monitor for early signs of a pandemic. Cheeto closed that office after Bannon told him to do so.

The problem is many people seem to forget the facts and somehow blame Fauci for everything. In a crisis, leadership matters and we had piss poor leadership at that time that literally threw away a pandemic preparedness plan just a few years earlier. So yes, some blame has to happpen in that. In real life, when doing root cause analysis, if a new CEO threw away a safety plan, and there was a big loss of life due partly to that, I'm pretty sure that would come up, no?

Bingo

i would welcome a real examination and after action review type anlaysis of our covid response

but we all know it would just turn into a partisan blame-fest, bickering sh*t storm..which would accomplish nothing
Unfortunately true. Should have included ass covering in your list though…

He gave you the most important thing that would come out of an after action report. There was a playbook based on past pandemic events, from after action reports. Because it was written by Obama, Cheeto and crew threw it out. There was also an office in China set up as an early warning station to monitor for early signs of a pandemic. Cheeto closed that office after Bannon told him to do so.
Well, it's not quite that simple, but if true...why didn't Biden immediately grab Obama's old pandemic plans and implement them once he became President?

I said that. You could at least quote me.

You said you think an RCA of this would be worthwhile, yes? So, too do I. In response, I said that in a company if a safety plan was thrown out, and a subsequent event occured, then the disposal of that safety plan would be mentioned in the follow-up report, and rightfully so. Of course, it did not disappear. But it was thrown out ~3 years before crisis and since then, new employees entered the fray. They may not have been aware of what the previous plan was. In any event, there was no plan. Just a bunch of shit thrown at the wall. Very little in the way of coordination.

No, I'm referring to this.

Just a couple excerpts, but like I said it's amazing how many people have already forgotten the sequence of events.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell alleged that the Obama administration did not provide the Trump administration with any information about the threat of a possible pandemic.
Soon after McConnell made his playbook comment, Ronald Klain, the White House Ebola response coordinator from October 2014 to February 2015, tweeted out a link to a document titled “Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents.”

The document, originally unearthed in March by Politico, is a 69-page National Security Council guidebook developed in 2016 with the goal of assisting leaders “in coordinating a complex U.S. Government response to a high-consequence emerging disease threat anywhere in the world.” It outlined questions to ask, who should be asked to get the answers and what key decisions should be made.

The playbook lists types of infectious disease threats that could emerge. “Novel coronaviruses” were among pathogens flagged as having potential to cause heightened concern.

Then later, Mitch admitted he was wrong and they did in fact leave behind a plan.
“I was wrong,” McConnell said in an evening interview with Fox News’ Bret Baier. “They did leave behind a plan. So, I clearly made a mistake in that regard.”

Yes, the Great Epidemiologist Bill Maher says they got it wrong. He's sure an authority.

Some on here have been asking for a commission to examine and learn from our Covid response.
Nobody seems to want to revisit those decisions (and take ownership of them) for some reason.
Because it would be a waste of time and money. It will come down to what information was known at the time and then deciding to go with the safest option possible to limit the number of people dying. Sure, after mountains of more evidence has been collected some of those choices could have been different and we would likely have been ok. But now you want to tie some people to the stake and burn them alive? Because they had limited information to work with?

Here's hoping you never have to be held responsible for choices made without the benefit of hindsight.

Yes, the Great Epidemiologist Bill Maher says they got it wrong. He's sure an authority.
How many doctors/ epidemiologists were called “crazies” by all of these non doctors when they dared come out with opinions that are now considered to be pretty much on point? Suddenly, all of these laymen are above hearing opinions from anyone other than epidemiologists.

Every day on here there would be a video of accredited doctors saying something that slightly went against the almighty Fauci or WHO and they were resoundingly crapped on by many of the non-epidemiologists here.

How many doctors/ epidemiologists were called “crazies” by all of these non doctors when they dared come out with opinions that are now considered to be pretty much on point? Suddenly, all of these laymen are above hearing opinions from anyone other than epidemiologists.

Every day on here there would be a video of accredited doctors saying something that slightly went against the almighty Fauci or WHO and they were resoundingly crapped on by many of the non-epidemiologists here.
Only people without credentials were called crazies. Legitimate researchers weren't going to the nearest social media outlet to dangerously fuel conspiracy theories. Those people ended up getting people killed.

Only people without credentials were called crazies. Legitimate researchers weren't going to the nearest social media outlet to dangerously fuel conspiracy theories. Those people ended up getting people killed.
No. I specifically remember two doctors who came out saying things against the left's COVID doctrine who ended up being correct that got absolutely massacred.

No. I specifically remember two doctors who came out saying things against the left's COVID doctrine who ended up being correct that got absolutely massacred.
That's not how science works. Science works by consensus. When consensus goes against you, you write papers. You don't go to media and start complaining. People will use your paper as a body of evidence for later, Their mistake was how they went about it.

Like what? I love these people that come out after the fact and act like it was obvious during the middle of the crisis. Things happened pretty fast. And all anyone does is blame Fauci. There were LOTS of other people involved in decision making at federal, state, and local levels.

The time to decide what to do during a crisis isn't during it but BEFORE it. Preparedness matters and we as a country, were woefully unprepared.

• Sad
Reactions: Ree4 and Pinehawk
That's not how science works. Science works by consensus. When consensus goes against you, you write papers. You don't go to media and start complaining. People will use your paper as a body of evidence for later, Their mistake was how they went about it.
Yeah. And YouTube took their video off the platform , if I recall. As if their vast medical degrees at YouTube were more in the know about it then the doctors. Again...who were way more correct than the going "consensus" on the topic at the time.

And these are the people who pretend to be worried about fascism and the end of democracy. They used to be all about free speech and against censorship. Not anymore.

Not to mention the people "building the consensus" let the fvcking teachers union write a bunch of the protocol for the CDC. God for bid we look back on that and judge it, eh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT