ADVERTISEMENT

'05-'06 vs. '15-'16

Nov 9, 2007
I'm enjoying the heck out of this season so far, but thought I would pose a question on a snowy Tuesday.

There are obviously a lot of similarities between this team and the senior laden '05-'06 team (most importantly, lots of wins), but I'm curious if others believe these Hawks are as susceptible to a tournament flameout as that team? Fran as opposed to Alford has to be worth something, though this team needs to learn to win close games.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this season so far, but thought I would pose a question on a snowy Tuesday.

There are obviously a lot of similarities between this team and the senior laden '05-'06 team (most importantly, lots of wins), but I'm curious if others believe these Hawks are as susceptible to a tournament flameout as that team? Fran as opposed to Alford has to be worth something, though this team needs to learn to win close games.
According to KenPom, the 05-06 team was built on defense. They were first in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, but they were not good offensively, ranking #151 in adjusted offensive efficiency.

By comparison, this years team has a top 10 offense and a top 20 defense. It's much more well rounded and thus has more than one way to win games.

Looking a little closer at the offensive numbers, the 05-06 really struggled in 3 of the "4 factors" that are considered most important. They were ranked worse than 200 in shooting, offensive rebounding, and turnovers. The only thing they didn't suck at on offense was getting to the FT line. So, yeah, the 05-06 team really struggled offensively.

A quick follow up. As I said above, Iowa is in the top 10 in adjusted offensive efficiency and in the top 20 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Currently, we are the only team in the country that is in the top 20 in both offense and defense.

Reactions: IronFist1776
A lot of white on both teams. But this team is better, with more depth, and a stronger offense, better balance.

According to KenPom, the 05-06 team was built on defense. They were first in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, but they were not good offensively, ranking #151 in adjusted offensive efficiency.

By comparison, this years team has a top 10 offense and a top 20 defense. It's much more well rounded and thus has more than one way to win games.

Looking a little closer at the offensive numbers, the 05-06 really struggled in 3 of the "4 factors" that are considered most important. They were ranked worse than 200 in shooting, offensive rebounding, and turnovers. The only thing they didn't suck at on offense was getting to the FT line. So, yeah, the 05-06 team really struggled offensively.

Great info. That data is certainly reassuring as we work toward March. Hopefully the seniors make it a year to remember.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
What's the point of comparing teams that have literally none of the same people involved?

It's a non issue.

These seniors already have a NCAA tournament W. Something the 05-06 team never got. As of right now somebody is going to have to play really well and hope Iowa is awful to beat them the first weekend. This team should roll in the first game and then the second game is generally all about matchups. 7 and 8 seeds have been known to give higher seeds fits. I really don't see this team losing in the first game of the tournament. Way too balanced for that to happen.

Reactions: HawkeyeSmitty4
As of right now somebody is going to have to play really well and hope Iowa is awful to beat them the first weekend. This team should roll in the first game and then the second game is generally all about matchups. 7 and 8 seeds have been known to give higher seeds fits.

this is a great point. no clue how the team will be playing come tournament time [health, hot/cold, etc] but we should make it to the 2nd weekend rather comfortably. I imagine the Saturday/Sunday game would be fairly tight for the first half, with us pulling away safely in the final 10 minutes. Not sure there is a team in the top 25-40 range that can handle us for a full 40 minutes...not now, anyways.

A quick follow up. As I said above, Iowa is in the top 10 in adjusted offensive efficiency and in the top 20 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Currently, we are the only team in the country that is in the top 20 in both offense and defense.

Where do the Hawks stand in these metrics now? How about Temple or Villanova?
Hard to believe how things have played out in the last month or so, but it's a new life for the team starting Friday.

Go Hawks

The 2006 Nova team was a lot of fun. I think most still think that was Jay's best team. 1 seed in the Midwest, lost in the Elite 8 to Florida. Randy Foye, Kyle Lowry, Allan Ray. Great fun

120938921-villanovas-kyle-lowry-and-randy-foye-gettyimages.jpg

So the general consensus is that this year's team is better than the 06 team that finished a game out of first in the conference then won the BTT over the #1 seed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT