2/15 Bracketology

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
ESPN: #2 seed in Des Moines, Midwest region with KU

CBS: #1 seed in Des Moines, West region

USA Today: #2 seed in Des Moines, Midwest region with KU

Will add more as they get posted

Can anyone explain to me how Oregon, who has lost 2 straight games and they are #5 in the RPI? They jumped up after losing to Cal and Stanford I do believe. How is that possible?

The interesting thing to watch is IF we lose a game or two down the stretch, if we stay in Des Moines as a 3 seed in the projections. It's very possible due to the lack of highly ranked Midwestern teams.

The interesting thing to watch is IF we lose a game or two down the stretch, if we stay in Des Moines as a 3 seed in the projections. It's very possible due to the lack of highly ranked Midwestern teams.

I think Iowa would really have to take a serious tumble to play themselves out of Des Moines at this point.

Win next 5 games and I believe we are lock for #1 or #2 seed. Our #10 RPI is not going to improve from where it currently is based upon the remaining teams on our schedule so we cannot afford a loss to a team with lower RPI. Looking at teams we are compared to for top seeds, Kansas, Oklahoma, Villanova, Virginia, Maryland, Xavier, NCarolina are all above us. Given that several of these teams have multiple games against top 20 RPI teams, one or two losses could drop us to #3 line. Our remaining games are #30 Indiana (they are likely to improve based upon their schedule), #44 Wiscy, #52 Michigan, #83 OSU and #116 PSU. Obviously, a loss to those last two teams would not helpful at all.

If we win the next 5 games, we are a #1 seed even if we go to Indy and lose Friday morning to Nebraska by 50.

In the Power 5, Only UNC has 2 conference losses and has a shot to match a 16-2 conference mark. And based on their schedule the chances are remote.

Reactions: HawkeyeSmitty4
SI: #1 in Des Moines and in Midwest region. No way that happens if KU is also a #1, which they also have.

NBC: #2 in Des Moines, Midwest Region with KU

Current Bracket Matrix has us as the top #2 seed

I don't think Des Moines has a 3 seed available. I think it is 1, 2, 7, 8 (and of course 16, 15, 10, and 9).

I don't think Des Moines has a 3 seed available. I think it is 1, 2, 7, 8 (and of course 16, 15, 10, and 9).

Not sure if that's how it works. I was reading an article about how seeding and pods work, and a tournament rep stated that it was possible that Iowa could be a 3 or even a 4 seed and still get to play in Des Moines. Don't think certain seeds are locked into specific sites. They just want a 1-2 seed to be geographically protected, but it's possible a 3-4 seed could play the first 2 rounds very close to home as well.

Do 'clones still have a shot at getting Des Moines?
Ineligible since they're hosting. Most likely taking one for the team, as Drake has tried in the past and failed. Me thinks once it does well here (because it will do very well here), Drake or a conference will become the host.

Reactions: NI hawk
the RPI rewards a team for losing on the road to a tough team more than winning at home to an average team. the RPI rewards losing and don't ask me why, it just does.
Because of the argument that playing a highly ranked team close on the road requires a better effort that clobbering some double-directional school at home.

Reactions: Myvue
Because of the argument that playing a highly ranked team close on the road requires a better effort that clobbering some double-directional school at home.

Kind of like penalizing a team for playing an RPI teams 250+, but yet gives them a free pass for playing Div 2 school? Yeah that seems fair. I realize the div 2 game doesn't count, but they should be penalized for it. The MWC has done this for years, instead of playing the lower teams, they schedule 1, 2, or even 3 games vs Div 2. That way it doesn't count towards their RPI. Pathetic set up if you ask me. If you schedule Div 2 that should count as playing team 351 or higher.

But the RPI does not take scoring margin into consideration. Thus, losing to a top 10 team by 50 is more beneficial than beating the 280th ranked team by 50.

This is why I think other metrics like Kenpom and BPI are better and should be given more weight when determining seeding and who is in versus who is out.

I agree with your presented argument that losing by 3 at Kansas is more impressive than winning by 30 against a bad opponent at home. Metrics like Kenpom and BPI account for the difficulty of schedule and also the margin of victory. The RPI is an antiquated system that should be put to rest.

the RPI rewards a team for losing on the road to a tough team more than winning at home to an average team. the RPI rewards losing and don't ask me why, it just does.

Well it's actually part of the formula. Its 25% your own record, 50% your opponents record, and 25% your opponents opponents record. If you lose a game, obviously you help the category responsible for the largest share of the calculation. Certainly RPI is not gospel, but it is helpful when comparing teams with similar records like Indiana and Iowa.

Not terribly different from strength of schedule. Had we lost to Purdue and MSU twice, Purdue would easily be top 10 right now and MSU top 3 minimum. Our SOS number would be out of this world. That's why Iowa State always has their excellent SOS number in football. It helps an awful lot when you inflate the record of your opponents by losing most of the time AND you never have to play one of the bottom feeders in your own league.

Reactions: HerkyFan
RPI, while it is used, the committee has said isn't as big a factor as many make it out to be.

SI: #1 in Des Moines and in Midwest region. No way that happens if KU is also a #1, which they also have.

Not sure I agree with you here. If the Hawks win the B1G outright AND go far in the BTT they could certainly be thought of as a stronger 1-seed than a similarly seeded KU. Losing a bunch of games would end that argument for either team. My point is: KU is not automatically higher than the Hawks come season's end.

I predict the Hawks win out the regular season (and finals of BTT), get the #1 overall 1-seed, and the Midwest region.

Well it's actually part of the formula. Its 25% your own record, 50% your opponents record, and 25% your opponents opponents record. If you lose a game, obviously you help the category responsible for the largest share of the calculation. Certainly RPI is not gospel, but it is helpful when comparing teams with similar records like Indiana and Iowa.

Not terribly different from strength of schedule. Had we lost to Purdue and MSU twice, Purdue would easily be top 10 right now and MSU top 3 minimum. Our SOS number would be out of this world. That's why Iowa State always has their excellent SOS number in football. It helps an awful lot when you inflate the record of your opponents by losing most of the time AND you never have to play one of the bottom feeders in your own league.

You're correct that the RPI is 25% your own record, 50% your opponents' record, and 25% your opponents' opponents' record; however, games your team participates in are not counted for your opponents' record. Thus, a team does not increase their SOS by losing.

Still, a metric that ranks teams based only 25% of what they did, and 75% of what other teams did is inherently flawed - especially when that metric does not account for margin of victory.

Reactions: HawkeyeSmitty4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT