ADVERTISEMENT

2.45 Million Viewers for the WNBA Draft (most for a WNBA game or event in 24 years)

Diana Taurasi won't like this!

Nearly 2.5 million for WNBA Draft, league’s top audience since 2000

By Jon Lewis
April 16, 2024

If there was any question whether the Caitlin Clark effect would continue into her WNBA career, they may have been answered Monday night.

The 2024 WNBA Draft, in which Clark was picked first overall by the Indiana Fever, averaged 2.45 million viewers on ESPN — the largest WNBA audience of any kind since 2000, when a Memorial Day Liberty-Comets game averaged 2.74 million on NBC. No other WNBA telecast, including the playoffs and finals, has managed even one million viewers since 2008.

Viewership increased more-than-fourfold over last year’s draft, which averaged 572,000 on ESPN. The previous record for the draft was 601,000 in 2004, when Diana Taurasi was picked first overall.

Last edited:
That’s why they pimped her out, I assume for free.

not sure how that works; she may give the entire outfit back. If not, she'll have to pay taxes on the value (she'd get a 1099 since the value of the sunglasses, top, jacket, skirt and shoes total way more than $600)

she didn't seem completely comfortable; she was constantly looking down and when she sat down she crossed her legs (obviously) and put her hand down to keep the skirt down (and not show anything)

If it's like other events like that they do not get to keep the outfit...unless they pay for it. But really, why would you? The chances of you ever wearing it again are very small.

not sure how that works; she may give the entire outfit back. If not, she'll have to pay taxes on the value (she'd get a 1099 since the value of the sunglasses, top, jacket, skirt and shoes total way more than $600)

she didn't seem completely comfortable; she was constantly looking down and when she sat down she crossed her legs (obviously) and put her hand down to keep the skirt down (and not show anything)
I guess didn’t study her that closely . Just thought she had a cool fit and there are tax consequences I’m sure she’s got a guy for that.

It's also the first time the sold tickets to the WNBA draft, correct?

The 2024 WNBA draft was open to fans for the first time since 2016. And it didn’t take long for those fans to get their tickets to see Caitlin Clark.

It was announced that tickets for this year’s draft, of which there were roughly 1,000, sold out within 15 minutes of going on sale.

Source:

Most people communicate with watched it. I plan to set up Fever games to record.

If the WNBA really takes off and Caitlin becomes the star we expect. and becomes a free agent, and Des Moines is looking for a sure thing pro franchise.........

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Fever ticket sales have sucked.

Until now.

10,000 people last night were downtown eating and drinking.

What an effect, indeed.

Contrary to myth, gladiators were too valuable to be killed at the end of matches. Caitlin will not be babied, but her value to the league will be disproportionate to her individual position on her team. Her star power fills arenas which bolsters urban economies. This revenue also translates to money franchise coffers which improves player's salaries.

Ultimately the increased popularity makes for increased TV marketing. A megastar can make this happen. Caitlin is the most popular player with the largest fan base in history. What other woman college basketball player has a cereal box, several national commercials, has been on Saturday Night Live, was the No 1 pick in the WNBA draft, along with most college career records in her possession?

I'm guessing if you added up every wnba event throughout history it wouldn't equal 2.45 million viewers

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT