ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Benchmarks for Iowa Football?

Mar 14, 2003
What should our benchmarks be for 2015? Obviously we want to play well and look prepared each game unlike Minnesota and Tennessee.

-Beat Iowa State
-3-1 non-conference (obviously 4-0 is ideal but Pitt will be tough)
- Win at least 2/3 vs Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. (Losing to Nebraska the way we did in 2014 was a disgrace, I could argue Iowa had every chance to win the 2012 game as well. At this point Nebraska owns KF)
- Minimum of 8 wins
- Win our bowl game
- Adapt our philosophies

Thoughts?

The reason I made this post is because it's obvious that KF, Greg Davis, etc... will be back. So they have to have benchmarks for the 2015 season. If they don't meet them, then fire them. If it becomes obvious these are not going to be met, then start putting feelers out for a coach.

This post was edited on 1/15 5:05 AM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I agree that since there were no changes, the people in place have to be held to a different standard than what they have been. It was wrong they were getting by holding themselves to a mediocre standard. So, I would add something to your benchmarks:
-at the very least compete for the West
-show signs of willingness to change/adapt something in light of no coaching changes

My benchmarks have to be:

Win 8-9 games regular season (IDC if we beat ISU or not). With our schedule it should be easy.

Win Bowl Game

Offense has to finish top 4 in Big Ten

Defense has to be top 20 in the nation (we seem to always have a decent defense).

Special Teams has to improve!!!!

Extra things I am looking for:

I would personally like to see a 1,000yd rusher. Seems like forever since we have had one.

Also would like to see more mobility and options with the QB. Just seems like we run drop back passes, nothing on the move to give the QB the option to run or throw.

Wouldn't mind seeing on WR get majority of the targets. It seems like we shuffle players in and out. Keep Smith on the field the entire game and he should be our #1 Target every time.

I would say win at least 9 games
Win all non con games.
Make it to Big Ten Championship game.
Win bowl game

Has to be a minimum of 8 or 9 wins. If we don't get to eight, goodbye KF and GD. Must beat a couple teams with winning records Recruiting has to step up. If we don't have more 4* players by December, goodbye KF. Recruiting is a lifeline of every good program. Urban Meyer said that when he got to the BIG. No excuses! No more "that's football" or "ebb and flow" quotes at press conferences. While KF is spending more time in the office, he can come up with 20 new phrases(excuses) that are going to aggravate the fanbase. At least we'll have something else to piss and moan about. Get on Twitter. He could put some of those new phrases to use. I am sure the future 5* recruits are going to be impressed with his insights to why he is so conservative and boring!Paint the water tower. Had to throw that one in. Have Aaron Rogers get some plastic surgery and bring him on as a Walk On. Since KF is so good at finding diamonds in the rough, no one will suspect anything other than KF's brilliance.

"If we have bad loses...all bets are off"

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

-Beat Iowa State

Thoughts?

In general I agree with the premise of this thread - we have to start expecting (perhaps demanding) more out of the staff. However, I think 2015 would be a very strange year to suggest one of the requirements is to beat ISU. We aren't sure what our OL is going to look like early in the year and of course it is a road game against a power 65 team (even though it is one of the worst of the 65 if not the worst).

If there were a year to make "beat ISU" a part of the expectation, it would have been this year.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
What should our benchmarks be for 2015? Obviously we want to play well and look prepared each game unlike Minnesota and Tennessee.

-Beat Iowa State
-3-1 non-conference (obviously 4-0 is ideal but Pitt will be tough)
- Win at least 2/3 vs Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. (Losing to Nebraska the way we did in 2014 was a disgrace, I could argue Iowa had every chance to win the 2012 game as well. At this point Nebraska owns KF)
- Minimum of 8 wins
- Win our bowl game
- Adapt our philosophies

Thoughts?

The reason I made this post is because it's obvious that KF, Greg Davis, etc... will be back. So they have to have benchmarks for the 2015 season. If they don't meet them, then fire them. If it becomes obvious these are not going to be met, then start putting feelers out for a coach.

This post was edited on 1/15 5:05 AM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life
They already have benchmarks they aren't meeting and nothing happens.

win.jpg

*Win 9 games
*Beat ISU
*Do not get destroyed in any games. Be competitive unlike (Minnesota and Tennessee)
*1,000 yard rusher
*Tevaun Smith does not leave the field on offense
*Special teams become a strength not a weakness
*Opening up the playbook both offensively and defensively (creativeness in play-calling)

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Win 8 games at a minimum
Beat ISU
The offense needs to show explosiveness.
Clock Managment needs to improve
Be aggressive and go the jugular in games, like when we had ISU down by 14 we went ultra conservative

the defense ended up 17th in total defense in 2014
in 2013 the defenses was 7th in total defense and was 9th in scoring defense.

Iowa's offense set a new high for total offense with 5201 yards for a avg of 400 ypg the previous high was set with Tate in the 2005 season when they had 5189 yards and that team finished 24th nationally vs this years offense that finished 60th nationally with more yards

scoring offense went like this
40-49 2
30-39 4
20-29 4
10-19 3
its been awhile since Iowa had that many games where they scored 30+

3 time a IA QB threw for over 300 yards in a game went looking and could not find the last time any QB threw for over 300 time, as the only one I found listed for doing so was Chuck Hartlieb under Fry,

if some one can find the last QB to do so please help..

it will not be unreasonable to expect 9+ wins this fall, and the biggest reason will be the RB as Iowa will/should have a much faster RB on the field at all times, you will see Iowa with a 1000 yards rusher but people need to remember that in that 2009 season ARob had 834 yards on 181 carries and Wegher had 641 yards on 161 carries,

this season Canzeri should get the starters carries but you will see Daniels and Wadley get a good chunk of carries, me I am looking for them to get over 2700 yards total minimum between those 3 and will be very happy, in 2008 with Greene as a team they gained just 2453 yards on the ground,

but in the end I want to see all the RB's stay healthy all season

WR Smith led the team with 596 yards on 43 catches and KMM had 52 catches that will go to other WR's and /or TE's and RB's

setting goals now that are realistic are looking about right,

Originally posted by backinblack23:
Win 8 games at a minimum
Beat ISU
The offense needs to show explosiveness.
Clock Managment needs to improve
Be aggressive and go the jugular in games, like when we had ISU down by 14 we went ultra conservative
8 wins is good enough with this schedule and returning starters at qb? How pathetic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT