HR Legend
Nov 27, 2004
Should be a good one. Can't wait.

*all times listed are Eastern

September 16

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: FS 61-70-86-125 kg

1 pm - Semi-finals: FS 61-70-86-125 kg

September 17

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: FS 79-92-57-74 kg; Repechage: FS 61-70-86-125 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: FS 79-92-57-74 kg

12 pm - Finals: FS 61-70-86-125 kg

September 18

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: FS 65-97 kg / WW 55-59 kg; Repechage: FS 79-92-57-74 kg

11:00 am - Semi-finals: FS 65-97 kg / WW 55-59 kg

12 pm - Finals: FS 79-92-57-74 kg

September 19

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: WW 65-50-57-76 kg; Repechage: FS 65-97 kg / WW 55-59 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: WW 65-50-57-76 kg

12 pm - Finals: FS 65-97 kg / WW 55-59 kg

September 20

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: WW 72-53-62-68 kg; Repechage: WW 65-50-57-76 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: WW 72-53-62-68 kg

12 pm - Finals: WW 65-50-57-76 kg

September 21

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: GR 55-82-77-130 kg; Repechage: WW 72-53-62-68 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: GR 55-82-77-130 kg

12 pm - Finals: WW 72-53-62-68 kg

September 22

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: GR 72-60-97 kg; Repechage: GR 55-82-77-130 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: GR 72-60-97 kg

12 pm - Finals: GR 55-82-77-130 kg

September 23

4:30 am - Qualification rounds: GR 63-67-87 kg; Repechage: GR 72-60-97 kg

10:45 am - Semi-finals: GR 63-67-87 kg

12 pm - Finals: GR 72-60-97 kg

September 24

10:30 am - Repechage: GR 63-67-87 kg

12 pm - Finals: GR 63-67-87 kg

Last edited:
Roster:
When did Gable commit??
Edit: Guess he committed 08-25. I never heard anything about it. Anyway, sweet!!

2023 Senior World Championships

Men's Freestyle​

57 kg: Zane Richards

61 kg: Vito Arujau

65 kg: Nick Lee

70 kg: Zain Retherford

74 kg: Kyle Dake

79 kg: Chance Marsteller

86 kg: David Taylor

92 kg: Zahid Valencia

97kg: Kyle Snyder

125 kg: Gable Steveson
BTW, any word on which 26 wrestlers will be prevented from going to Worlds? Hope we get the best that Russia has to offer as I want to see the best in the world!!

I like the line up. Likely 3-4 champs and perhaps 4-5 finalists? If Vito wrestles like he did at NCAAs, I don't see anyone stopping him. What an animal performance that was at NCAAs!
I was shocked at his development from 2022 to 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: tiltman
You and me both. I never imagined him being able to take apart RBY the way he did. RBY didn't stand a chance, and that's saying a lot with as talented as RBY is.
Vito is who worried me for Spencer when he was at 125. He was Lee's best competition in Texas a couple years ago at 57kg. He has always been lightning quick, but I didn't see him dismantling RBY like that. He really jumped a level last year, which is scary as he was already really, really good.

Here's a thread that will be of interest to those following the World Championships. The OP does a really good job analyzing the competition and gives his commentary on each weight. He is currently through 74kg with more to come.

Rumors are no Sadulaev,Sidakov and Uguev
Is this because they are or were part of the Russian military?
My understanding is that was one of the things that could keep them from getting to wrestle at the World Championship.

My understanding is that was one of the things that could keep them from getting to wrestle at the World Championship.
Dagestan soldiers have fought in Ukraine, but I doubt it was voluntary. IMO Dagestan and Chechnya - among others - are occupied victims of imperial Russia. And, given a choice the Russian people would hang Putin. I absolutely hate this ban.

It’s not as if they had a choice. What happened to common sense?

Reactions: Mendoza77
Dagestan soldiers have fought in Ukraine, but I doubt it was voluntary. IMO Dagestan and Chechnya - among others - are occupied victims of imperial Russia. And, given a choice the Russian people would hang Putin. I absolutely hate this ban.

Maybe some of the people would, but many if not the majority are supportive of the war. They're victims of extreme propaganda no doubt.

Excerpt regarding head of Chechnya on the Ukraine invasion:

On 26 February, 2022, Ramzan Kadyrov, the Head of the Chechen Republic, announced that Chechen military forces had been deployed to Ukraine, saying that Vladimir Putin "took the right decision and we will carry out his orders under any circumstances.

Ban of Russian athletes due to the ongoing invasion and serious war crimes in Ukraine. This has been the case for awhile and likely will remain that way until Russia stops the invasion.
All Russian athletes aren't banned. Russians are being allowed to compete but under a neutral flag and not able to score team points for Russia. As individuals they are and have been competing.

All Russian athletes aren't banned. Russians are being allowed to compete but under a neutral flag and not able to score team points for Russia. As individuals they are and have been competing.
Russian and Belarusian athletes weren't allowed to compete in the 2023 world championships in track last month.

I think it's all in flux and will continue to be in flux up to the 2024 Olympics. From what I can find, it currently varies by sport and event, and no overarching decision has been made regarding 2024 in Paris yet.

Reactions: Gusaford and el dub
Russian and Belarusian athletes weren't allowed to compete in the 2023 world championships in track last month.

I think it's all in flux and will continue to be in flux up to the 2024 Olympics. From what I can find, it currently varies by sport and event, and no overarching decision has been made regarding 2024 in Paris yet.
Athletes from those countries competed at U17 and U20 championships. I watched an AIN (Russia) and a Ukraine match in U20 women's freestyle. By body language during the match, it appeared they did not like each other at all.

Interesting. So many are being allowed to participate. 26 are not due to support for the war or in the Russian military.

"Of the 235 people tested, 26 people were denied admission, either because of active support for the war effort or because of confirmed membership in the armed forces or national security agencies."

That seems commonsensical and generous.

Reactions: el dub and Gusaford
According to FLO, both Sadulaev and Sidakov are competing at the worlds. If so, I'm stoked! Dake/Sidakov should be epic.
https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...ev-zaurbek-sidakov-win-world-team-wrestle-off

Was there new confirmation, or just going off of the attached article? It is from Aug 19th. Seems to be a lot of very recent uncertainty about Russia's "big 3". I personally haven't seen anything official, but could have missed it. Best I could find was this post seeming to imply that they probably will be competing:

Snyder have a shot at Sadulaev? I'm thinking he's due. He's faced him 3 times now? 1-2.
Yes, I know how good Sadulaev is. Snyder is pretty accomplished himself.
Lots of time to practice and game plan.
Taylor vs Yaz? Taylor hungry enough and still in shape to wear him down again?
Dake vs Sidakov?
What's that call?? Both are animals.
So many great possible matches.
Can't wait.

Reactions: el dub
Snyder have a shot at Sadulaev? I'm thinking he's due. He's faced him 3 times now? 1-2.
Yes, I know how good Sadulaev is. Snyder is pretty accomplished himself.
Lots of time to practice and game plan.
Taylor vs Yaz? Taylor hungry enough and still in shape to wear him down again?
Dake vs Sidakov?
What's that call?? Both are animals.
So many great possible matches.
Can't wait.
If Sadulaev's training has been irregular like the first match up? Maybe. If not, Sadulaev beats him 100/100 times. Snyder has nothing for him unless Sadulaev is undersized and/or out of shape.

Reactions: tiltman
If Sadulaev's training has been irregular like the first match up? Maybe. If not, Sadulaev beats him 100/100 times. Snyder has nothing for him unless Sadulaev is undersized and/or out of shape.
Agree 100%. A prime Sadulaev and prime Snyder aren’t on the same level. I’m honestly surprised Snyder has had the success he has. He’s pretty one dimensional in my eyes and seems like one of the easier wrestlers to scout and game plan for, but he’s obviously good at what he does.

Reactions: Mendoza77
Agree 100%. A prime Sadulaev and prime Snyder aren’t on the same level. I’m honestly surprised Snyder has had the success he has. He’s pretty one dimensional in my eyes and seems like one of the easier wrestlers to scout and game plan for, but he’s obviously good at what he does.
Define one dimensional

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT