ADVERTISEMENT

44 days until kickoff - #44 Ben Niemann

Apr 8, 2003
Big season coming up for Ben Niemann as a first-year starter at OLB.

Ben Niemann
6-3, 225
Sophomore
Sycamore, IL

1677979.jpg

Bio: http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ben_niemann_919015.html

Hawk-Item - - Tied for sixth in the Big Ten with one blocked punt in 2014 . . . one of three true freshmen to see action in 2014.

2014 - - Played in all 13 games, recording five solo tackles and two assists, along with a blocked punt and return for a touchdown . . . saw first action of action of career in 31-23 win over Northern Iowa, recording one solo tackle . . . saw action in 17-13 win over Ball State, but had no statistics as defense allowed just two field goals and 219 yards total offense . . . saw action in 20-17 loss to Iowa State, but had no statistics . . . saw action in 24-20 win at Pittsburgh, but had no statistics as defense allowed just three points in the second half . . . saw action in 24-10 win at Purdue, but had no statistics as defense allowed just 156 yards total offense . . . saw action in 45-29 win over Indiana, but had no statistics . . . saw action in 38-31 loss at Maryland, recording one solo tackle . . . saw action in 48-7 win over Northwestern . . . recorded one assisted tackle vs. Northwestern, while also recording a blocked punt and returning the ball for first career touchdown . . . saw action in 51-14 loss at Minnesota, recording one solo tackle for two-yard loss . . . saw action in 30-14 win at Illinois, but had no statistics as defense allowed just 88 net rushing yards and 235 yards total offense . . . saw action in 26-24 loss to No. 14 Wisconsin, but had no statistics . . . saw action in 37-34 overtime loss to Nebraska, but had no statistics . . . saw action in 45-28 TaxSlayer Bowl loss to Tennessee . . . recorded career-best three tackles vs. Tennessee, including two solo tackles and one assist, including a shared tackle for loss.

High school honors - - Earned first team all-state, all-conference and all-area honors as a senior . . . named team and conference Most Valuable Player and MVP of all-area team . . . first team all-state, all-conference and all-area as a junior . . . first team all-conference and all-area as a sophomore . . . Career - - earned three letters as wide receiver and strong safety . . . helped prep team reach second round of playoffs as a sophomore and junior . . . team won conference title and advanced to state semi-finals as a senior with a 12-1 record . . . recorded 78 tackles as a senior . . . also had 45 receptions for 1,050 yards 15 touchdowns, along with two punt return touchdowns . . . 60 tackles and three interceptions as a junior, with 53 receptions for 884 yards and 13 touchdowns . . . as a sophomore recorded 51 receptions for 734 yards and seven touchdowns . . . team captain as a junior and senior . . . also two-year letterman in basketball, earning all-conference honors.

Personal - - Born 7/27/95 in Des Moines, Iowa . . . education major . . . parents are Lou Ann and Jay Niemann . . . member of prep Honor Roll . . . high school coach was Joe Ryan.

Reactions: meatloaf55
Anyone else getting a Greenway vibe about Niemann?

I am not saying he has Greenway talent. He still needs to prove he can consistently make plays. (Niemann already has one big play to his credit - a blocked punt, recovery, and TD vs. Northwestern).

What I'm insinuating is their backgrounds and physical characteristics are somewhat similar.
--Both Greenway and Niemann were under-recruited and panned by many as "MAC level" talents. Neither had any high Div1 offers other than Iowa (Greenway had zero, Niemann, a few FCS offers.).
--both were MVP and two-way players in HS - Greenway as QB/S and Niemann as WR/S.
--both Greenway and Niemann played as college freshman (Greenway as rFR, Niemann as true frosh) and both emerged as starters in their sophomore seasons.
--both play outside LB and are known as very good tacklers.
--they have similar frames - Greenway 6ft2 245 (now), Niemann listed at 6ft3 and 225.

Not getting carried away. Just saying that there may be more of a resemblance. We'll know more a couple years from now.

Last edited:
This is the time of year when optimists look at the team and imagine what needs to happen for the team to exceed expectations. I want to see him start a game first before I make that comparison. I will agree that Greenway was about as unknown as a player as Niemann entering their sophomore seasons. I think that Niemann is a good athlete. I like the fact that he had enough mobility to be a good WR in high school. I think that he will run well.

But Greenway was absolutely phenomenal as a sophomore (132 tackles, 13 for loss, 2 sacks, 6 PBUs). If Niemann plays close to that level, we will be way better than expected.

You will have to remind me whether he is lining up as an OLB across from the tight end or playing the same position as Greenway.

His dad is the def coord for Northern Illinois. He should be fundamentally sound. I lift with his cousin. He believes we got a steal with Niemann. Kid is a good student and a great all around athlete. He just needs to put on size.

This is the time of year when optimists look at the team and imagine what needs to happen for the team to exceed expectations. I want to see him start a game first before I make that comparison. I will agree that Greenway was about as unknown as a player as Niemann entering their sophomore seasons. I think that Niemann is a good athlete. I like the fact that he had enough mobility to be a good WR in high school. I think that he will run well.

But Greenway was absolutely phenomenal as a sophomore (132 tackles, 13 for loss, 2 sacks, 6 PBUs). If Niemann plays close to that level, we will be way better than expected.

You will have to remind me whether he is lining up as an OLB across from the tight end or playing the same position as Greenway.

Nieman will be OLB. Greenway was. More ILB his last two years with Hodge. He did play OLB on occasion

Greenway played the WILL position at Iowa, weakside LB.

Niemann is playing the LEO position, strongside LB.

Niemann looked pretty good in the spring game and he has good speed. There were times he was covering Kittle who is probably the fastest tight end and was right on him. I think him and Jewell have a lot of potential. Not sold on Bower yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT