ADVERTISEMENT

5 star kids comments about NIL and recruiting

The market is the big public universities by a wide margin because they bring their fanbases, alumni, and states with them. The only way this gets under control is the president's of those universities taking real control and reminding the athletic departments that they are actually the property of the university. That includes the student athletes and their name image and likeness. The accounting games in these big programs needs to stop as do the immense generational wealth types of contracts for coaches. Any NIL deal by an athletes needs to be run through the university and the university needs to take a piece of it. The platform provided is why NIL deals matter. The revenue for everything needs to be audited and caps need to be put in place with surplus revenue going to the actual core mission of the universities. Defray the cost of attendance for students.

8 million for a freshman quarterback at Tennessee is ludicrous. 7 million for Kirk Ferentz is also ridiculous. We gave been conditioned for years to think this is normal and acceptable and it truly isn't.

Contracts need to be in place for coaches and athletes alike that keep the university and its mission at the front.

If the NFL wants to start a developmental league they can but that should not be the objective of universities
The problem is whichever school wants to take that approach is not going to be very competitive. Personally I like to win so it wouldn’t bother me at all if Iowa had been the one to give that QB $8m instead of Tennessee. I mean, how many Tennessee fans are upset that some wealthy donors gave the kid a bag of cash to go to school there?

The talking heads at CyFan are saying Rocco (their QB) has had $1M offers to go.
Honestly that doesn’t surprise me. After how he looked this year and what we saw from Cade and his injury history, which one would you rather have? And I don’t know how much Cade is getting exactly but I saw rumors that it wasn’t too far off that amount.

I see this posted a lot and most of the time it's just b/c the poster is trying to be cute and/or due to an overall lack of basic common sense.
How many D1 coaches got their jobs right out of high school? None. They've all grinded their way to where they are and proven worthy of the opportunity based on prior work as position coaches, assistants, recruiters etc...
I think the elite coaches are overpaid, but they've also earned to be paid a premium based on the work they put in and the revenue they help produce.
It sucks coaches can up and leave, but they also can be fired on a moments notice too.
Players absolutely deserve some revenue sharing, but what we have now is beyond ridiculous and unsustainable.
Figure out a way for the universities to determine a fair revenue sharing program on top of scholarships, and cap NIL asap.

Lot of people look at the same information and come to a different conclusion. Guys like KF came up through a good ole boy's network. You pretty much need to be a former player or son of an existing coach to get your foot in the door. The NCAA system was setup so that the only way teams could compete for wins was to pay more and more for the best coaches. If there were say a limit to %of revenue and some type of luxury tax on excessive salaries, the amount of money going to coaches would be far less. Fair is in the eye of the beholder. We saw Tyler Sash die early in the sport and Greenwood had a stroke. There is no money given to disabled/hurt former players, but there was $800K/year going to Coach Ferent's son. Was Brian Ferentz the best available offensive mind when was hired?

Reactions: hawkedoff
It is way different, and if you don't understand how or why, I have to question your college football acumen.
It is way different. Two people getting paid instead of just a transfer.
Feel free to question my acumen. Always fun to have pesky facts and data to back up my ‘acumen’

It is way different. Two people getting paid instead of just a transfer.
Feel free to question my acumen. Always fun to have pesky facts and data to back up my ‘acumen’
You're not making any sense, young fella. If a coach says that he would rather recruit HS kids and develop than build a roster on transfers, and then gets a HS QB (actually 2 this year), how is that "the same" as taking a transfer from the portal?

I'll hang up and listen.

You're not making any sense, young fella. If a coach says that he would rather recruit HS kids and develop than build a roster on transfers, and then gets a HS QB (actually 2 this year), how is that "the same" as taking a transfer from the portal?

I'll hang up and listen.
Do I need to explain what ‘way different’ means?
They paid a hs player and a coach to get the hs player. With a transfer they only pay the transfer. Hence ‘different’ then just paying the hs player.
Keeping an eye on the transfer portal seems some school out west is active in the portal.

Do I need to explain what ‘way different’ means?
They paid a hs player and a coach to get the hs player. With a transfer they only pay the transfer. Hence ‘different’ then just paying the hs player.
Keeping an eye on the transfer portal seems some school out west is active in the portal.
This will be his uncle's 3rd or 4th year with the team. He was already the OL coach when Rhule arrived. Dude's family didn't like Frost, so Nebraska was out of the picture. That's the only reason he wasn't a Nebraska commit last spring. Not so with Rhule. But you do you, boo.

This will be his uncle's 3rd or 4th year with the team. He was already the OL coach when Rhule arrived. Dude's family didn't like Frost, so Nebraska was out of the picture. That's the only reason he wasn't a Nebraska commit last spring. Not so with Rhule. But you do you, boo.
47% raise for finishing 9 spots ahead of Iowa in scoring offense? 120th gets a 47% raise? Nothing to do with a high profile family member looking at schools….
9 spots ahead of the Iowa offense…… that is a serious accomplishment

47% raise for finishing 9 spots ahead of Iowa in scoring offense? 120th gets a 47% raise? Nothing to do with a high profile family member looking at schools….
9 spots ahead of the Iowa offense…… that is a serious accomplishment
Someone is mad that his team is going to be starting Deacon Hill next year and is taking it out on me.

Someone is mad that his team is going to be starting Deacon Hill next year and is taking it out on me.
I missed where I referenced Hill. Just pointed out the facts of the situation.
Continue your spin cycle.
Trying to figure out the ‘family didn’t like Frost, yet the family guy was hired by Frost’
Another off season championship in the works!!!!

I missed where I referenced Hill. Just pointed out the facts of the situation.
Continue your spin cycle.
Trying to figure out the ‘family didn’t like Frost, yet the family guy was hired by Frost’
Another off season championship in the works!!!!
You don't know much about what went down then. Yes he was hired by Frost. Same with Joseph (ex Nebraska QB) and Bill Busch. It was Raiola, Busch and Joseph who went to the AD to let Alberts know what the hell Frost was up to - and that is why Frost was shit-canned. So yeah, the Raiolas don't like Frost.

The rich get richer. OSU picked up their 6th five-star recruit yesterday. And their coach will be fired next year if they lose one game in the BIG.

You don't know much about what went down then. Yes he was hired by Frost. Same with Joseph (ex Nebraska QB) and Bill Busch. It was Raiola, Busch and Joseph who went to the AD to let Alberts know what the hell Frost was up to - and that is why Frost was shit-canned. So yeah, the Raiolas don't like Frost.
Good to know.
Also saw that they landed a WR from the portal. Good work. Build, build, build

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT