ADVERTISEMENT

$5 Student single game tickets

I really hope this works. One of the issues that was happening with the student section is that they would sell out of student season tickets and those same students wouldn't show up to every game. By selling them in singles at a much cheaper price, this should in theory eliminate kids buying a ticket for a game that they have no plans to attend.

Reactions: Sexican

Looks like the last 2 paragraphs got cut off in the original post.

Note that for both the men & women:
* tickets are free for the exhibition game
* tickets are just $2 for the regular season opener

the full announcement:

F8vZ7RnWwAAp4eO

Last edited:
I really hope this works. One of the issues that was happening with the student section is that they would sell out of student season tickets and those same students wouldn't show up to every game. By selling them in singles at a much cheaper price, this should in theory eliminate kids buying a ticket for a game that they have no plans to attend.
Maybe I'm reading this entirely wrong but in the past, womens basketball was free for students. And men's bball was $75 for the season. Which equated to roughly $5 a game anyway. So now it's merely single game tickets but if you wanted to attend the same number of games you are paying twice as much?

I'm all for the option to buy single game but if people didn't come for free this won't change anything, especially after CC leaves. For the men's side I honestly don't see this causing much difference either. Students just don't seem to care about attending.

I'm glad we are taking this step. I hope everything works out and we get students but I don't have high hopes. I don't trust the students to show up... even at these prices.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Just if you are a student.
My hope is that, as others have alluded to, students are just not that eager to buy tickets, so eventually there will be unsold student tickets that are then made available to the general public. Surely they want a sold out house every game, right? I mean, if they really want to sell out every game, make those tickets available to the general public, but charge less for students.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Maybe I'm reading this entirely wrong but in the past, womens basketball was free for students. And men's bball was $75 for the season. Which equated to roughly $5 a game anyway. So now it's merely single game tickets but if you wanted to attend the same number of games you are paying twice as much?

I'm all for the option to buy single game but if people didn't come for free this won't change anything, especially after CC leaves. For the men's side I honestly don't see this causing much difference either. Students just don't seem to care about attending.
You're right in the fact that women's games were free prior to this, but the reality is while Caitlin is in school there is way too much demand to keep the free approach. We'll see if it sticks once Caitlin graduates. I wouldn't be surprised to see them revert back to free if there is a sharp decrease in student attendance post-Clark.

If a student goes to every men's game, they will pay $77 this year. But there is 4 home games held over winter break this year, so the only students that will pay more than $60 are the ones who stay on campus for break or are locals.

My hope is that, as others have alluded to, students are just not that eager to buy tickets, so eventually there will be unsold student tickets that are then made available to the general public. Surely they want a sold out house every game, right? I mean, if they really want to sell out every game, make those tickets available to the general public, but charge less for students.
I really don't forsee student tickets being sold to the general public other than maybe the games over winter break. You really think students aren't going to be willing to pay $5 to watch Caitlin Clark?

You're right in the fact that women's games were free prior to this, but the reality is while Caitlin is in school there is way too much demand to keep the free approach. We'll see if it sticks once Caitlin graduates. I wouldn't be surprised to see them revert back to free if there is a sharp decrease in student attendance post-Clark.

If a student goes to every men's game, they will pay $77 this year. But there is 4 home games held over winter break this year, so the only students that will pay more than $60 are the ones who stay on campus for break or are locals.
Fair, but I don't think I've ever seen something go from free to pay and then back to free. Greedy mofos

Fair, but I don't think I've ever seen something go from free to pay and then back to free. Greedy mofos
Right, but I'm assuming that Bluder would step in at some point if they weren't getting student crowds. Hopefully students continue buying tickets and supporting the women's team so that this discussion isn't necessary though.

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Talking to my son as he debates how he is approaching tickets, there will be no problem selling out the student section for the women's games. The men's on the other hand may have fewer students (is that even possible?) for non-marque games as students won't feel the pull to go they feel with a season ticket, they will just buy the big games.

Talking to my son as he debates how he is approaching tickets, there will be no problem selling out the student section for the women's games. The men's on the other hand may have fewer students (is that even possible?) for non-marque games as students won't feel the pull to go they feel with a season ticket, they will just buy the big games.
There was clearly not that big of a pull to attend those games with the student season tickets either--as evidenced by selling out of tickets with only half-full student sections. And this way the university can better track how many students bought tickets and now they can do giveaways, promotions, reduced tickets, etc for games that aren't selling. With a season ticket, there was no way for the University to know ahead of the game how full the student section was going to be because all they knew is that if every student who bought a student season ticket showed up then it would be full.

There was clearly not that big of a pull to attend those games with the student season tickets either--as evidenced by selling out of tickets with only half-full student sections. And this way the university can better track how many students bought tickets and now they can do giveaways, promotions, reduced tickets, etc for games that aren't selling. With a season ticket, there was no way for the University to know ahead of the game how full the student section was going to be because all they knew is that if every student who bought a student season ticket showed up then it would be full.

I wonder if any other B1G school is doing this, where no full season tickets are being sold to students.

I think it's a great idea, because for the less attractive games and for the games over break, student attendance will for sure be down. I have always thought that they should feed the students at these less attractive games (get a pizza and beverage sponsor to help pay for it)

Looks like the last 2 paragraphs got cut off in the original post.

Note that for both the men & women:
* tickets are free for the exhibition game
* tickets are just $2 for the regular season opener

the full announcement:

F8vZ7RnWwAAp4eO

Tickets for the exhibition game for non university students (or student age kids) used to be free. This season they are $5.00.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I really don't forsee student tickets being sold to the general public other than maybe the games over winter break. You really think students aren't going to be willing to pay $5 to watch Caitlin Clark?
Well they weren't really willing to watch for free last year, so no, I don't think they would be wiling to pay $5 to watch her this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT