Daton Fix
Nico Megaludis
Liam Cronin
Daniel Deshazer
Luke Lilledahl
Nick Suriano
Marcus Blaze
Jax Forrest

Man this is pretty loaded. Not 100% how or if they seed this? Like to see LEE Tech his way through! I think Vito is the biggest obstacle in his path!

Forgive my ignorance, but is this one of the weights the US needs to qualify for Paris?

Vito, Gilman and Lee are the only 3 that have a chance to qualify and medal. The seeds should be built to reflect this.

Fix, Vito and Gilman all on the other side! That’s nice, Suriano is the only threat on the top IMO.

Whoever handles the cut beat will come out the bottom.

what's left for qualifiers?
There is one qualifier left, the World olympic games qualifier in Turkey May 9th-12th. The winner of our team trials goes and needs to place top 3 to go to the olympics.
We need to have a pre Pan Am tournament to see who we send there, we crapped out at 57 and 65kg and the world qualifier will be a lot tougher tournament!

If Vito can handle the cut he's going to be a bitch to beat. His length and versatility of attacks is pretty legit. Gilmans defense could keep it close but I think Vito advances on the other side. I'd much rather have to beat Richards in 2 out of 3 than Vito, that's how it would work if Lee advanced to the finals correct?

If Vito can handle the cut he's going to be a bitch to beat. His length and versatility of attacks is pretty legit. Gilmans defense could keep it close but I think Vito advances on the other side. I'd much rather have to beat Richards in 2 out of 3 than Vito, that's how it would work if Lee advanced to the finals correct?
No, Spencer would have to beat Vito, Gilman or Fix in the best 2 out of 3. Beating Richards will get him in the finals.

Reactions: el dub and Grip220
Richards is not a World or Olympic medalist. You have to be that, not just the current Team USA representative to get a free path to the finals.

What is everyone basing these predictions on? I'm pretty sure the bracket above is just a guess. I don't think seeds are out yet. I'll wait to see the actual seeds before I start planning Spencer's path. If he's really healthy, it doesn't matter his seed. Vito and maybe Jax (unknown quantity) are the only people that worry me at all.

What is the seeding criteria for the trials? Are Zane and Vito the only 2 we know for certain at this point where they fall into the bracket?
do we "know" zane is the 1 seed? because if they consider performance prior to 2023, there's arguments for gilman or fix (less so) at 1.

do we "know" zane is the 1 seed? because if they consider performance prior to 2023, there's arguments for gilman or fix (less so) at 1.
No, at this point we don't "know" Zane will be the 1 seed, but it does makes sense with past results of those who are in the field at 57 kg and he was the US representative at that weight at the World Championship.

Reactions: el dub
No, at this point we don't "know" Zane will be the 1 seed, but it does makes sense with past results of those who are in the field at 57 kg and he was the US representative at that weight at the World Championship.
for 2020 olympicl, gilman got 1 seed at trial even though fix had beat him for the world team spot in 2019

taylor also got 1 seed ahead of downey (zahid was ahead of him too) - although that was different becuase of taylor's injury

i guess my point is that they don't seem to automatically give the 1 seed to the returning world team member

Reactions: T8KUDWN
You would think most recent results should weigh in ( no pun intended). Im still not sure what impact the farrel, open and Pan Am’s would be, but they should be taken into consideration.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
There is one qualifier left, the World olympic games qualifier in Turkey May 9th-12th. The winner of our team trials goes and needs to place top 3 to go to the olympics.
We need to have a pre Pan Am tournament to see who we send there, we crapped out at 57 and 65kg and the world qualifier will be a lot tougher tournament!
If our Olympic qualifier can't get top three at the last chance qualifier in Turkey, then we probably weren't good enough to win the Olympics either.

Last edited:
If our Olympic qualifier can't get top three at the last chance qualifier in Turkey, then we probably weren't good enough to win the Olympics either. I know some countries who already have a spot send entries to mess with the brackets and make the difficulty higher, but this is wrestling. You need to beat them to join them.
Yes we need to beat them, but its definitely beneficial if we are qualified prior. There are so many factors to explain why, but worrying aboit other countries sending specific guys to mess with other wrestlers is not one of them.

Reactions: praguehawk
If our Olympic qualifier can't get top three at the last chance qualifier in Turkey, then we probably weren't good enough to win the Olympics either. I know some countries who already have a spot send entries to mess with the brackets and make the difficulty higher, but this is wrestling. You need to beat them to join them.
How can a country that already qualified send entries? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: vhsalum
I’m always going to have a Hawkeye lean, but this weight is loaded with several guys that can have a good day and advance. Lots of different styles. Plenty of highly advanced youth guys in Lilledahl, Forrest and Blaze. Some salty, experienced vets in Suriano, Gilman, Lee, Fix and Vito. Richards has had some success winning close matches vs US wrestlers, but hasn’t looked great internationally. I think Lee, Gilman, Fix and Vito have the best shot at bringing home an Olympic medal. It’s going to be really f*n to watch.

They posted

Vito Arujau( bye to semis)
SPENCER LEE
Zane Richards
Thomas Gilman
Daton Fix
Nico Megaludis
Liam Cronin
Daniel Deshazer
Luke Lilledahl
Nick Suriano
Marcus Blaze
Jax Forrest

Man this is pretty loaded. Not 100% how or if they seed this? Like to see LEE Tech his way through! I think Vito is the biggest obstacle in his path!
Agreed. The speedy, spidery Vito should be Spencer’s biggest obstacle to winning the trial. Even then, I’m counting on that special kid I’d drive to the neighboring town’s HS matches to watch, to win our spot in Istanbul . . . and to secure another in Paris.

No disrespect to Richards, but he was in the right place at the right time and he will get chewed up and spit out in this tournament. It would not surprise me at all to see one of the high school kids take him out. We have three guys that could medal at the Olympics, I’m excluding the two highschoolers from that three because I just have not seen enough of them competing against our top guys. There is Gilman, Vito, and Spencer. Fix has no chance of medaling at 57KG.

Last edited:
Agreed. The speedy, spidery Vito should be Spencer’s biggest obstacle to winning the trial. Even then, I’m counting on that special kid I’d drive to the neighboring town’s HS matches to watch, to win our spot in Istanbul . . . and to secure another in Paris.
Vito will have a leg up thru semis with weighing in at 7:30 and semis in afternoon. Now if he wins it looks like sat weigh ins at 8:00 and finals in evening. He will be huge by the time he meets lee or anyone. If im reading schedule right

Reactions: HikeNatParks
would have been nice to have RBY fighting for the US spot, probably smart he took the easy rd through mexico and he was most likely getting manhandled by Gilman in the room
I noticed @PSUer1989 responded to this with a laughing face thingy. Wonder if this dude would ever man up and actually post as to what he thinks is the reason RBY did the US dirty if he is the best 57kg guy that wrestles on our soil.

Reactions: MAGAman and T8KUDWN
I noticed @PSUer1989 responded to this with a laughing face thingy. Wonder if this dude would ever man up and actually post as to what he thinks is the reason RBY did the US dirty if he is the best 57kg guy that wrestles on our soil.
Well... I laughed at the comment as well.

RBY followed the rules and qualified for Mexico.

The reason he wanted to wrestle for Mexico is that he wants the opportunity to beat Spencer on the biggest Freestyle stage. But he thinks that ultimately Gillman wins the spot for the U.S.

Well... I laughed at the comment as well.

RBY followed the rules and qualified for Mexico.

The reason he wanted to wrestle for Mexico is that he wants the opportunity to beat Spencer on the biggest Freestyle stage. But he thinks that ultimately Gillman wins the spot for the U.S.
All i can say 😂😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT