ADVERTISEMENT

"A Major Deep Three"

SuperSK

HR MVP
Oct 29, 2001
Words by Bill Rafferty as 6-6 Kevin Gambol drills a quarter mile long three in our huge win over Oklahoma. Now THAT was a team with BJ Armstrong and Roy Marble. That phrase has stayed with me very time I see the Hawks in the big dance. Still gives me chills to remember it. 😎❤️🏀

Words by Bill Rafferty as 6-6 Kevin Gambol drills a quarter mile long three in our huge win over Oklahoma. Now THAT was a team with BJ Armstrong and Roy Marble. That phrase has stayed with me very time I see the Hawks in the big dance. Still gives me chills to remember it. 😎❤🏀

Great season. Still can't believe they didn't make it to the Final 4. One bad half of basketball. UNLV ended up going to the final game, losing to Indiana. Iowa had run Indiana out of the gym in CHA earlier that season, scoring the most point against a Bobby Knight Indiana team any opponent had ever scored.

I know people want to compare who is better, 1987 or this year's team. Eras are different, for sure, but the sheer volume of talent on the 1987 team was fabulous. That team would have been even better with rules in place today such as the 30-second clock. That 1987 team had guys with the following NBA careers:

• Kevin Gamble - 10 years in the league after being selected in the 3rd round by Portland, then going to the CBA then getting his shot with the Celtics. Scored 15 points a game on nearly 60% shooting in his best year.
  • BJ Armstrong - first round pick of the Bulls, played in the NBA 10 years. All-Star and NBA champion.
  • Roy Marble - 1st round pick of the Hawks, played 50 games in 2 different seasons. RIP.
  • Brad Lohaus - 10 year NBA career, 2nd round pick of Celtics.
  • Ed Horton - 2nd round pick of the Bullets now Wizards. Played in 45 games.
  • Les Jepsen - didn't play much at all for the 1987 team but ended up being a 2nd round pick of the Warriors, played in NBA for 2 seasons.
  • Bill Jones - came off the bench for Iowa, but played in 37 games with the Nets.

• That team would have thrived in today's rules. 3 guys on one team who end up with 10-year NBA careers. That is just unheard of for Iowa and not likely to ever happen again. Hopefully this year's team can succeed where that one couldn't, in getting to the Final 4.

I was in high school up "late" watching that game on a 10" black and white TV in my room and about crapped my pants. My God what a great game.

Reactions: just_somebody
Great season. Still can't believe they didn't make it to the Final 4. One bad half of basketball. UNLV ended up going to the final game, losing to Indiana. Iowa had run Indiana out of the gym in CHA earlier that season, scoring the most point against a Bobby Knight Indiana team any opponent had ever scored.

I know people want to compare who is better, 1987 or this year's team. Eras are different, for sure, but the sheer volume of talent on the 1987 team was fabulous. That team would have been even better with rules in place today such as the 30-second clock. That 1987 team had guys with the following NBA careers:

• Kevin Gamble - 10 years in the league after being selected in the 3rd round by Portland, then going to the CBA then getting his shot with the Celtics. Scored 15 points a game on nearly 60% shooting in his best year.
  • BJ Armstrong - first round pick of the Bulls, played in the NBA 10 years. All-Star and NBA champion.
  • Roy Marble - 1st round pick of the Hawks, played 50 games in 2 different seasons. RIP.
  • Brad Lohaus - 10 year NBA career, 2nd round pick of Celtics.
  • Ed Horton - 2nd round pick of the Bullets now Wizards. Played in 45 games.
  • Les Jepsen - didn't play much at all for the 1987 team but ended up being a 2nd round pick of the Warriors, played in NBA for 2 seasons.
  • Bill Jones - came off the bench for Iowa, but played in 37 games with the Nets.

• That team would have thrived in today's rules. 3 guys on one team who end up with 10-year NBA careers. That is just unheard of for Iowa and not likely to ever happen again. Hopefully this year's team can succeed where that one couldn't, in getting to the Final 4.
UNLV actually lost to Indiana in semifinals.

Went to Seattle from Spokane for both games. Wife is a Wyoming graduate so went to Wyoming pre-game party before UNLV-Wyoming game and Iowa party before Oklahoma game. My impression of fans in attendance—Iowa, a bunch of middle-aged farmer types; Wyoming, all cowboy boots and hats; no impression as to Oklahoma; UNLV, after Wyoming game string of limos outside Kingdome waiting to pick up UNLV fans. Kingdome was a terrible place for basketball. We sat in the upper reaches where it was nearly impossible to pick up which player was which. Things I regret saying: walking around Kingdome at halftime with Iowa up by 17 and friend asking me, what I would tell the team if I were UNLV coach. My answer, “Just keep shooting,” which they did. Can remember sinking feeling when UNLV cut lead to under 10 about midway through second half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT