ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Bradley

Here are the top 20 recruits from class of 2014 (D1collegewrestling) and their current weight rank following their freshman season (wrestlestats):

1. Snyder (3)
2. Marsteller (26)
3. Brill (33)
4. Nolf (4)
5. Nevills (11)
6. M Jordan (8)
7. B Nickal (17)
8. McKenna (19)
9. Haines (N/A)
10. Chisko (12)
11. Sebastian (15)
12. Cortez (30)
13. Rogers (39)
14. Stoll (73)
15. Pixley (N/A)
16. Blees (200)
17. Berger (29)
18. Micic (12)
19. Peppelman (71)
20. Danishek (34)

That's a more data-based representation of the concern about Stoll--particularly given the fact that he's pencilled in as a 4-year starter. And that's why some folks are asking, "What about Bradley?" I think that's reasonable.

I think it's also reasonable to say I wish we had Telford for one more year to give Stoll more time to develop. And I think it's reasonable to state that Snyder was a great f-ing get by Ohio State, even though he's only been in the room a year too. If it's only premature to have an opinion if your guy's ranked #73 instead of #3, that seems a bit rose-colored.

Trotting out Dan Dennis as the poster boy for slow starts and fast finishes is certainly relevant, though it's using an outlier to make a point. (And, what, no love for Ryan Fulsaas or Jessie Whitmer?)

Anyway, apologies for beating a dead horse. I think we're all looking at the same info, and all hopeful that Stoll wins Greco Worlds this summer and places at NCAAs next March, and all this ugly doubt will evaporate.
He's #51 if you go by 'Next Years Rankings' :)

http://www.wrestlestats.com/rankings/nextyearweight/285

I have no idea how Sammy will do but I would guess he will be just fine. If Bradley gets in the room then he will have some one to push him and vice versa. Also with Bobby in the HWC he can work with both of them.
To me the key to future success is the up coming recuriting year Hawks need toget the studs.

I'm all for Sam being our guy and growing and I'll be as happy as can be if he ends up being the stud that a lot on this board think he will be. His wins during his redshirt year were not impressive and he lost to a guy from EMU (when was the last time they had an AA?) he lost to a Juco guy and an average at best guy from Old Dominion. Not the end of the world, but when you have the number 14 overall recruit, I was expecting more. Other than due to injury, its been a while since we had a Heavy that didn't AA. Telford was a 3 timer (would've been a 4Xer if not for injury) Danimal was a 2 time AA, Even Matt Fields was an AA a likely would've been a multiple time AA if not for injuries ending his season early. Mocco (multiple time AA before transferring to Okie St) Wes Hand etc.. The point is we've been good at Heavyweight for a long time and when I watch Stoll wrestle, I see him struggling to find offense against D1 Heavies and a lot of frustrated Hawk fans complaining on this board for years. I've watched Bradley and his style translates better to D1. Obviously, I have no idea what kind of shape he'll be in etc. I'm just hoping Bradley ends of being our guy, he strikes me as having more upside between the two.

so cal did you see danimal in his early years, wasn't really awe inspiring.i hear you about 14th ranked recruit should hit the ground running.could still happen.

so cal did you see danimal in his early years, wasn't really awe inspiring.i hear you about 14th ranked recruit should hit the ground running.could still happen.
I agree about early returns on Dan E wasd, but if memory serves Danimal wasn't a highly recruited guy. He was an OK 197 lber who developed into a solid HVY. Stoll was recruited to be a stud and hasn't looked that great as of yet. I hope he develops and develops quickly. If we have any shot at a national title next year, we need him on the podium.

Reactions: wasdt21
I have NO problems with Stoll but here's some food for thought. 5 AA's from last year return last year 1 rd of 12 guy and add Nevils in there and it will be VERY hard for him to AA next year. I still believe its possible but he is not beating Gwiazdowski, Coon, Medberry, Kroells right out of the gate.

The HWT class is very tough this coming year but I think Stoll makes a big leap. There are only 4 or 5 guys who may be out of reach in my opinion.

Don't know how Stoll will do next year, but I think he'll have a fine career when it's all said and done. That said, I do wish Sam had spent the summer wrestling freestyle, in addition to Greco. I know he's a very fine Greco wrestler, and wouldn't suggest for a second that he should have foregone the opportunity to represent the US at junior worlds, but I view the summer as the time to work on relative weaknesses, and I think Sam would generally benefit from more exposure to freestyle, and the focus on leg attacks.

Don't know how Stoll will do next year, but I think he'll have a fine career when it's all said and done. That said, I do wish Sam had spent the summer wrestling freestyle, in addition to Greco. I know he's a very fine Greco wrestler, and wouldn't suggest for a second that he should have foregone the opportunity to represent the US at junior worlds, but I view the summer as the time to work on relative weaknesses, and I think Sam would generally benefit from more exposure to freestyle, and the focus on leg attacks.

I totally agree. It is nice to have a heavy that goes for big moves though... I know you live and die by the throw but it will definitely make duals interesting. I wouldn't count us out down by five with Stoll left in a dual:)

Yeah, kind of hard when he is literally one of the best Greco heavys in the world under 20.

I have NO problems with Stoll but here's some food for thought. 5 AA's from last year return last year 1 rd of 12 guy and add Nevils in there and it will be VERY hard for him to AA next year. I still believe its possible but he is not beating Gwiazdowski, Coon, Medberry, Kroells right out of the gate.
Another RS freshman to throw in the mix is Thomas Haines from tOSU.

Yeah, kind of hard when he is literally one of the best Greco heavys in the world under 20.

What's kind of hard? That he should give up Greco? Not what I'm suggesting, as I said explicitly. But why can't he wrestle both styles? Coon does.

Here's a question for you: What international style is most similar to folkstyle? It ain't Greco.

What's kind of hard? That he should give up Greco? Not what I'm suggesting, as I said explicitly. But why can't he wrestle both styles? Coon does.

Here's a question for you: What international style is most similar to folkstyle? It ain't Greco.

Adam Coon is not a fair measuring stick if you ask me. He not only beat Stoll in Greco, he medaled in both styles last summer. Is it really fair to say we want Stoll to be something he is not?

I understand we want him to "develop", but you are saying he should be able to do both, because one of the top 8 USA heavyweights in freestyle can do both.

I also realize Greco isn't closely related to folk like Free is, but I assume there was an understanding when Stoll was recruited he could still do his Greco thing, so yeah I think the other weekend they let him go to do Greco and that's fine because I am sure that was something promised to get his talent in the room in the first place .

Haines has been awful quiet.

I felt like tOSU fans were feeling pretty sure that Haines was coming off his redshirt because he was getting the better of Tavanello, but then he went down with injury. Could have been his ACL like mentioned above.

Per Wrestlestats, Stoll is ranked #73 based on his redshirt year. We recruited him to be a 4-year starter and multi-time AA if not NC. I don't think anyone has given up on him (or has any issue with him personally), but when you say "based on so little," it's actually a pretty big concern.

Per Wrestlestats, Stoll is ranked #73 based on his redshirt year. We recruited him to be a 4-year starter and multi-time AA if not NC. I don't think anyone has given up on him (or has any issue with him personally), but when you say "based on so little," it's actually a pretty big concern.

Sam's freshman year he was seeded next to the 2nd seed out of 32 guys at the Christmas Tournament and he took 2nd, beating SR HWT State Champ from Montini in the first RD. He won every Christmas Tournament after that and was unbeaten in every Clash match since then. Point being, he has always had naysayers. He wrestled and dominated state champs, from numerous states, MN AAA, Iowa AAA, Wisc and Ill. He teched and pinned Coon on his way to the 2013 Greco JR Worlds. Any one else can claim that? I believe his JR year he only gave up 1 offensive point and his SR year pinned every kid he wrestled. Way to much analysis being put on his RSFR year IMO. I can't wait for the day I can post, Told You so!

Your lips to God's ears, MNkids. There is a reason he was #14 P4P recruit--he's obviously good. Several other highly touted recruits didn't light the world on fire out of the gate either but are solidly in the NC conversation now--thinking specifically of Gulibon and McIntosh. Let's hope that's the case with Stoll.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I 100% agree with your premise, but there are only a handful of Heavyweights every year who have any semblance of a "leg attack". It's sadly just not that important at that weight. You have to have a lot of "want to", and most of the Big Boys don't have the nerve it takes to swing and miss, so they just don't bother. IMO, of course.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I 100% agree with your premise, but there are only a handful of Heavyweights every year who have any semblance of a "leg attack". It's sadly just not that important at that weight. You have to have a lot of "want to", and most of the Big Boys don't have the nerve it takes to swing and miss, so they just don't bother. IMO, of course.

Let's hope Mr. Berhow is teaching Sammy some leg attacks. In Berhow I trust!

I'd rather see throws vs leg attacks. I just can't see Sam blowing up a guys w a doubles or HCs . Stick w what works, especially at hwt. I'm more interested in seeing how his mat skills have improved

Well if I recall Mr.Berhow was no real big leg attack. I have to agree with jaybirdf3109 Ben is a big hwt and I'm sure he will have Sam ready. I think if they can get his baby fat off and more muscle he will be ok. Now this first year will be lots of learning but by end of season he could surprise us all.

I tend to agree with minnhawkeye. I think he's going to lose quite a few matches which will frustrate hawk fans to no end, but if he's mentally tough enough his size can get him some wins and pull off some low scoring upsets late in the season.

Reactions: BuckRussel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT