ADVERTISEMENT

AITA - holiday edition

Feb 9, 2013
I have a co-worker who is a very nice person, but she loves holidays. Loves them.

Dresses in a theme for Zoom calls, not just on the specific holiday, but for a couple weeks before. Talks about holidays every call - Christmas was nuts, my kids don’t get that excited. I haven’t worked with her long enough to see her celebrate her birthday, but suspect it’s one of those week-long events.

I am not a grumpy old fart but this annoys me. I don’t give a damn if Valentine’s Day is coming up in nine days. It doesn’t make Valentine’s Day a month-long event and you don’t need to change your Zoom background to a bunch of little sweethearts.

I would never say anything and play along to not hurt her feelings but come on already.

AITA?

I have a co-worker who is a very nice person, but she loves holidays. Loves them.

Dresses in a theme for Zoom calls, not just on the specific holiday, but for a couple weeks before. Talks about holidays every call - Christmas was nuts, my kids don’t get that excited. I haven’t worked with her long enough to see her celebrate her birthday, but suspect it’s one of those week-long events.

I am not a grumpy old fart but this annoys me. I don’t give a damn if Valentine’s Day is coming up in nine days. It doesn’t make Valentine’s Day a month-long event and you don’t need to change your Zoom background to a bunch of little sweethearts.

I would never say anything and play along to not hurt her feelings but come on already.

AITA?
Yes, but I agree with you, so I’m an asshole too.

AITA?
Sorry but you will be spending eternity in hell. God put Xmas and Easter in our lives to worship him, going against celebrating holidays is going against worshiping God.

Last edited:

AITA?
Yes you are. You should find everything that brings joy to others and make sure you tell them they are dumb for it. This woman needs to learn to be a miserable beeytch and not enjoy these types of things.

You should also push old people out of your way, take candy from kids and kick puppies. Kick them all the across the room if you can.

I agree with you that not every occasion needs to be a week long event.
But if what you say about her being a nice person is true just let it slide.

The minute she starts being a pain at work then maybe say something.

There is one very critical thing missing before I can make my decision.

46F40F8900000578-0-image-m-69_1512341834162.jpg

There are enough crappy things that happen in our lives that if she gets crazy happy for holidays, and it brings her joy, then more power to her. You don't really know how she got there. Maybe those were the best memories of her life - memories that include people who are no longer around - and it's her way of remembering and celebrating them also. Be happy she's happy, and maybe even embrace the senseless joy a little.

Yes you are. You should find everything that brings joy to others and make sure you tell them they are dumb for it. This woman needs to learn to be a miserable beeytch and not enjoy these types of things.

You should also push old people out of your way, take candy from kids and kick puppies. Kick them all the across the room if you can.
As I said, though, I play along with a smile and don’t do anything to crush her joy.

There are enough crappy things that happen in our lives that if she gets crazy happy for holidays, and it brings her joy, then more power to her. You don't really know how she got there. Maybe those were the best memories of her life - memories that include people who are no longer around - and it's her way of remembering and celebrating them also. Be happy she's happy, and maybe even embrace the senseless joy a little.
I suspect there’s something to that. It’s very childlike.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

AITA?
NTA. It's okay to be annoyed by other people's simple pleasures as long as you don't ruin it for them.

What she's doing is generally harmless, and it seems you recognize that. It's human to judge and let little things bother you, but you are NTA bc you're restraining from being a dick directly to her.

I am not a big “holiday” person. Most of them are just a day off of work for me. I kinda feel bad that some of the things that got me excited about holidays as a kid maybe didnt get passed to my son to get excited about when he was younger due to my indifference.

Other than the “birthday month” people i mentioned, if celebrating these small holidays make the individual happy, then go for it. If something like that brings others joy and it impacts my mood adversely, thats a me problem. At the same time, i dont want to be coerced into “forced fun” in the workplace, i don’t need my birthday acknowledged etc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT