ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Ferrari in the house last night

Gotta pic of AJ in Carver last night, but I don't see how I can insert the pic in this post.

He appears to be in Iowa to stay.

Bottom line, it appears he's taking an Olympic Redshirt and the rumors are he's joining the team in Fall 2024.
Yeah, he was there last night and Monday as well.

That's a lot of time for him to stay on his best behavior.

Gotta pic of AJ in Carver last night, but I don't see how I can insert the pic in this post.

Bottom line, it appears he's taking an Olympic Redshirt and the rumors are he's joining the team in Fall 2024.

jim carrey disbelief GIF

Yeah dude it was posted last night he’s enrolled at Iowa. Anthony, too. You’re only like 16 hours late to this party.

Agree, he seems to want to be part of the team at some time. He was up top at the break taking pictures and doing autographs. He’s probably feeling out our fans to see if they are as bad as you haters on the board and at the SS. His brother was there, but wasn’t mingling that I could see

Agree, he seems to want to be part of the team at some time. He was up top at the break taking pictures and doing autographs. He’s probably feeling out our fans to see if they are as bad as you haters on the board and at the SS. His brother was there, but wasn’t mingling that I could see

Well he already called Iowa fans racist. So there’s that.

His brother was probably in the Carver Cone line. You kind of just blend in.

Aj has been at duals but is he hanging around the team or the hwc guys or is he just sitting in the stands like everyone else. Anyone can buy a ticket.

The tournament is named “Soldier Salute “
I’ll let you make your own inferences.
IMHO he disrespected the event.

I get that he has dug himself a deep hole and will most likely have a very hard time digging himself out. This is especially true with many of you trying to shovel the displaced earth back on top of him before he even has a chance to get himself out.

With that said, your post is such a stretch that even Reed Richards(Mr. Fantastic) would snap before he could stretch that far…

I get that he has dug himself a deep hole and will most likely have a very hard time digging himself out. This is especially true with many of you trying to shovel the displaced earth back on top of him before he even has a chance to get himself out.

With that said, your post is such a stretch that even Reed Richards(Mr. Fantastic) would snap before he could stretch that far…

Hes had plenty of chances….im sure more than several at okst

Some would say he has had quite a few opportunities to attempt to dig himself out. Problem is he has never learned how to use a shovel.

Some would say he has had quite a few opportunities to attempt to dig himself out. Problem is he has never learned how to use a shovel.

Not arguing with you on that part whatsoever. The hole he is in is definitely his doing. I am just not one to throw the dirt on top of the person when he is already down there. I am also not the one throwing him a rope and pulling him out. If he gets out he will have to have done it himself.

Look we aren’t deciding if he is going to date or babysit our daughters. He isn’t someone we are deciding to hang out with or join the family. It’s whether or not he wrestles for a DI team that most of us have basically no say whatsoever over what they do.

If he can stay 100% clear of any and all legal issues and get the grades necessary to wrestle, I have no issue with it. You don’t need to like everyone that wrestles on the team. To be honest, it is very, very rare that every wrestler likes most of the guys on their team, let alone all of them.

As long as the coaches can minimize the distractions and most of the guys on the team are ok with him wrestling, the fans are going to have to learn how to deal with it…

Not arguing with you on that part whatsoever. The hole he is in is definitely his doing. I am just not one to throw the dirt on top of the person when he is already down there. I am also not the one throwing him a rope and pulling him out. If he gets out he will have to have done it himself.

Look we aren’t deciding if he is going to date or babysit our daughters. He isn’t someone we are deciding to hang out with or join the family. It’s whether or not he wrestles for a DI team that most of us have basically no say whatsoever over what they do.

If he can stay 100% clear of any and all legal issues and get the grades necessary to wrestle, I have no issue with it. You don’t need to like everyone that wrestles on the team. To be honest, it is very, very rare that every wrestler likes most of the guys on their team, let alone all of them.

As long as the coaches can minimize the distractions and most of the guys on the team are ok with him wrestling, the fans are going to have to learn how to deal with it…
Wrestling for a college team is not a right it‘s a privilege. That privilege needs to continually be earned based on a persons actions and behavior. A person should reasonably be given a second chance maybe at times even a third chance but AJ has had that and a fourth and knowing that still was unable to understand his actions were unacceptable. This was not a one time mistake….AJ does not accept responsibility. Why other than the points he might score why should he be given the chance to tarnish the Hawkeye name and the Hawkeye program. I have been involved with Hawkeye wrestling since 1975 and since there is absolutely no reason to think coaches can alter his personality there is also no reason I and other fans of this program should have to “deal with it”.

I’m pretty neutral on giving AJ a chance to earn his way onto the team, but last night’s handling of him by the UI was disappointing to say the least.

He and Anthony were watching the meet across the aisle from us, just minding their own business and signing occasional autographs for kids. Out of the blue, about halfway through the meet, a UI staffer who normally sits at the scorer’s table approached them and tried to kick them out of their seats, claiming that they didn’t have tickets for the seats where they were sitting. People sit in seats that aren’t their own on a regular basis — wrestlers and fans alike — especially in the section behind the Iowa bench. Nobody ever gets asked to move, in my experience of attending meets in Carver since it opened. The UI employee was rather hostile and accusatory and appeared to be attempting to embarrass AJ and Anthony. Several fans sitting in our area took exception to the UI staffer’s behavior and he was finally told to stand down by a superior after a very awkward 5-10 minutes.

About 30 minutes later, as AJ was politely signing autographs for a few kids, a security guy came up from the floor and told AJ he was blocking the aisle and needed to move. Fans were seated and watching the meet; there were only a handful of kids and they were in nobody’s way. There was no need to kick him out of the area.

Whether or not AJ is eventually willing and able to earn his way onto the team is open to question, but the display from UI staff last night seemed petty and entirely inappropriate. Regardless of one’s history, that was no way to treat a spectator at any UI event. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and will leave him alone if he attends any more meets going forward. Regardless of whether he ever wrestles for Iowa, he should be treated with at least a modicum of respect by the UI, just like anyone else attending an Iowa wrestling meet in Carver.

Last edited:
I’m pretty neutral on giving AJ a chance to earn his way onto the team, but last night’s handling of him by the UI was disappointing to say the least.

He and Anthony were watching the meet across the aisle from us, just minding their own business and signing occasional autographs for kids. Out of the blue, about halfway through the meet, a UI staffer who normally sits at the scorer’s table approached them and tried to kick them out of their seats, claiming that they didn’t have tickets there for the seats where they were sitting. People sit in seats that aren’t their own on a regular basis — wrestlers and fans alike — especially in the section behind the Iowa bench. Nobody ever gets asked to move, in my experience of attending meets in Carver since it opened. The UI employee was rather hostile and accusatory and appeared to be attempting to embarrass AJ and Anthony. Several fans sitting in our area took exception to the UI staffer’s behavior and he was finally told to stand down by a superior after a very awkward 5-10 minutes.

About 30 minutes later, as AJ was politely signing autographs for a few kids, a security guy came up from the floor and told AJ he was blocking the aisle and needed to move. Fans were seated and watching the meet; there were only a handful of kids and they were in nobody’s way. There was no need to kick him out of the area.

Whether or not AJ is eventually willing and able to earn his way onto the team is open to question, but the display from UI staff last night seemed petty and entirely inappropriate. Regardless of one’s history, that was no way to treat a spectator at any UI event. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and will leave him alone if he attends any more meets going forward. Regardless of whether he ever wrestles for Iowa, he should be treated with at least a modicum of respect by the UI, just like anyone else attending an Iowa wrestling meet in Carver.
Good on UI and Carver security for not giving a non-Iowa athlete any special treatment for no reason whatsoever

He and Anthony were watching the meet across the aisle from us, just minding their own business and signing occasional autographs for kids. Out of the blue, about halfway through the meet, a UI staffer who normally sits at the scorer’s table approached them and tried to kick them out of their seats, claiming that they didn’t have tickets there for the seats where they were sitting. People sit in seats that aren’t their own on a regular basis — wrestlers and fans alike — especially in the section behind the Iowa bench. Nobody ever gets asked to move, in my experience of attending meets in Carver since it opened. The UI employee was rather hostile and accusatory and appeared to be attempting to embarrass AJ and Anthony. Several fans sitting in our area took exception to the UI staffer’s behavior and he was finally told to stand down by a superior after a very awkward 5-10 minutes.

Unbelievable, it’s almost like saying F U to the fan base has consequences… Or maybe they’re just racist.

Wasn't a solider but would have never made that connection.
50% of the proceeds of the Soldier Salute go to the USO and the event is to honor future, present and past soldiers. His reaction did not honor the purpose of the event. I own the opinion and respect your response.

Prior to the event I leaned toward letting him join the team. After the event, I lean toward not letting him join. What I think doesn’t have jack squat to do with whether he gets on the team or not.
When you act like he did it’s disrespectful to the event and the purpose it’s serving.

Rules are rules.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

I think you are trying to make it sound worse than it was by using words like, kick them out, hostile, accusatory, trying to embarrass them. Maybe you should have went over and tried to stop it.

Reactions: el dub

My only question is what sort of sh*tty parent would allow their kid to get an autograph from AJ. That's the type of person a decent parent should be using as an example of what NOT to do or be like.

You forgot to add the most important and only point you want to look the other way. He may be able to get you points at nationals.

Reactions: Fatmarc

That seems inappropriate unless somebody had complained to the staff about him being there.

OK, which one of you haters went and complained?

Security has been cracking down on kids getting autographs during the meet. They have 2 or 3 assigned to Spencer now . It does create a distraction, and blocks views of other fans. It also prevents the athletes from watching their teammates. AJ had a consistent small line in an area that could block some views. The security or UofI official should have politely told the kids they need to wait for intermission. I'm glad to hear fans in the area got on the employee for being rude. Trying to make him move seats is out of line since they never do that to anyone else.

Good on UI and Carver security for not giving a non-Iowa athlete any special treatment for no reason whatsoever
That’s hilarious.

This wasn’t about special treatment. AJ and Anthony weren’t receiving special treatment by any means. Until the Carver staff decided to make a mountain out of a molehill, they were receiving exactly the same treatment as everyone else in the arena — they were simply watching the meet like everyone else.

In fact, this was the polar opposite of special treatment. It was a case where someone on the Carver staff decided it was a good idea to be petty and vindictive and to single out one guy for something hundreds of fans were also doing, and do every meet.

I’m not defending AJ’s past behavior by any means, and based on his post on social media he obviously deeply regrets his actions at the SS. The Carver staff, however, was completely out of line in this instance. Their treatment of AJ and Anthony was unprofessional and completely unfair. This is a matter of simple human decency, and the Carver staff failed spectacularly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT