ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Marinelli - Congrats!

Knight563

HR MVP
Aug 9, 2014
Alex was named wrestler of the year by Intermat's Josh Lowe. Must we really wait a whole year and a half before he's in the black and gold?! Congrats Alex and we look forward to great things from THE BULL!

@JoshMLowe: Wrestler of the year: Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham), Outstanding Senior: Kollin Moore (Norwayne), Coach of Year: Erik Burnett (Elyria).

Excellent! Congrats to Alex! Can't wait to see him tear it up in black and gold.

Originally posted by Knight563:
Alex was named wrestler of the year by Intermat's Josh Lowe. Must we really wait a whole year and a half before he's in the black and gold?! Congrats Alex and we look forward to great things from THE BULL!

@JoshMLowe: Wrestler of the year: Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham), Outstanding Senior: Kollin Moore (Norwayne), Coach of Year: Erik Burnett (Elyria).
Well that's a bunch of Bull.......
wink.r191677.gif

Congrats Alex Marinelli. Well done young man.

Reactions: Spicolli
Marinelli is tough, love his style and intensity. I don't think he's quite as polished as other top level recruits coming out of HS either, so I think his ceiling/learning curve may still be higher than some other guys. Scary thought..

Reactions: 86_90
Congrats to Alex job well earned young man.
Can't wait to see you in black and gold.

Originally posted by Scryed:
Marinelli is tough, love his style and intensity. I don't think he's quite as polished as other top level recruits coming out of HS either, so I think his ceiling/learning curve may still be higher than some other guys. Scary thought..
Perfect guy for Terry to work with

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

Originally posted by andegre:
I can't look it up at work right now, but where does marinelli rank p4p right now?

Posted from Rivals Mobile
#13, two behind Kemerer at 11

If you don't count SRs, then 6th

Some others.. overall rankings
Hall #1
Lee #2
Suriano #7

well deserved,congratulations. cant wait hope he and Metcalf have many hours on the mat. the skys the limit.

Reactions: Huck
Give me the high school wrestler that gets in on the legs over the dominant top guy or the impossible to score on guy. If you can't get in on the legs of high school guys, you're going to really struggle scoring in college. Kemerer and Marinelli are both very good leg attackers.

Reactions: 86_90
Originally posted by 1stplacehawk:
Give me the high school wrestler that gets in on the legs over the dominant top guy or the impossible to score on guy. If you can't get in on the legs of high school guys, you're going to really struggle scoring in college. Kemerer and Marinelli are both very good leg attackers.
I'd personally like to see Kemerer diversify his attacks, but you are right both are really good at getting in on shots.

Marinelli has a tremendous double, but it's not always his first move in a match.

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:
I'd personally like to see Kemerer diversify his attacks, but you are right both are really good at getting in on shots.

Marinelli has a tremendous double, but it's not always his first move in a match.
Kemerer looks like a Sorensen clone to me

Even though I'm a PA guy and a homer towards Kemerer, Marinelli is the one recruit I hated to see Iowa land. I think hes a beast and I'm almost certain he will be giving PSU and the rest if the Big ten fits...

Reactions: whejoe
could be the start to some good future match ups

Kemerer - Joseph
Marinelli - Nolf

**Not sure where Manville fits into PSU lineup

Agree with this^^

Is Marinelli a done deal? Like has he signed anything yet? I don't know when kids formally sign. I know he was at one point committed to Ohio State. That is why I ask, because I have to imagine Ohio State would still be attempting to recruit this kid.

Wrestler of the year in Ohio as a Junior is pretty amazing.

I am not sure, but I believe he is only the second wrestler to ever accomplish that feat (Bo Jordan being the other), granted Intermat has only exsisted in its current capacity for about a decade, but that still means Logan Stieber, David Taylor, Micah Jordan, Hunter Stieber, Dean Heil, Nathan Tomasello, Lance Palmer, J Jaggers, and some other legit stars did not accomplish this feat.

I would take Marinelli over every recruit in the country regardless of class except Mark Hall, Anthony Valenzia, and Mathew Kolodzik. Yes, I would take him over both Lee's and Zahid.

Wrestling recruits can not sign until the one week early senior period in November of their senior year in high school, so Mr. Marinelli is not a done deal.

Originally posted by taketop:

Wrestling recruits can not sign until the one week early senior period in November of their senior year in high school, so Mr. Marinelli is not a done deal.
No, Mr. Marinelli is not a "done deal". Which puts him in the exact same boat as every prospect on the planet correct?

I think the 3 kids that came to Agon 5 and wrestled for IOWA (vs. the world) are very unlikely to flip. Strange things happen, but probably unlikely.

“I always watched Iowa wrestling and it is more my style,” he said. “What brought me to Iowa was everyone there was real and genuine. They cared about how much I could improve as a wrestler in addition to how much I could help the program.”

Read this quote from Alex in an interview he gave. Young man is going to be something special at Iowa! Can't wait until he can officially sign on the dotted line. Finally hopefully Lee and Hall have the same mentality.

Met Alex and his Dad after first day of NCAA's in St Louis. They were extremely cordial and told us how "small town" oriented they were. I think the size of Iowa City and the rural culture also made them feel comfortable. They made a point of reaching out to us when they saw us in our Iowa gear. We didn't know who they were until they initiated the conversation(in a nearly empty restaurant) and we finally asked if he was a recruit. We talked to them for 15 or 20 minutes. I was impressed with his humility and can't wait until he can wrestle for us. They did tell us he was going to wrestle in the event in Cedar Rapids before it was announced to the public.

So I have noticed a little talk about Marinelli starting as a true freshmen. Does anyone know if he plans on wrestling 170 this year to build his body a little to be ready for 165?

Not sure about 170 but I know the coaches know. Alex was in IC last week training and attending to personal stuff. Can't wait for this kid to get on the team. Talk about a future " face of the program!"

So I have noticed a little talk about Marinelli starting as a true freshmen. Does anyone know if he plans on wrestling 170 this year to build his body a little to be ready for 165?
From the talk here in Ohio, it seems he will very likely be going 160. Kyle Lawson St Paris Graham's 2 time defending state champ a weight below Alex, and his brother, transferred to another school this year. So because of that it makes more sense team wise for him to go 160 as well because they have a better 170/182 to fill in than if Alex went up to 170.

Reactions: Knight563
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT