ADVERTISEMENT

Angelo Ferrari

From the video and OP, "When asked about his plans for college and if he was going to start first year, said Im going to do whatever the coaches want me to do at Iowa."
I'm hoping either 165 is still an option or that he can bulk up and be a full strength 184, guessing that's unlikely by next fall though.
We will be set at 165 for next 2 years. Plus that won’t be a comfortable cut in a few years. He mentioned in an interview on Bickley wrestling that he doesn’t like to do significant cuts. Did it for Fargo one year, had no energy and said he’d never do it again. Said 165 was doable cut this year for iron man, but I think he’s only 17, probably has some puberty yet to go through
He just wrestled 175 at the Texas State tournament. He ain't a d1 college 184 yet.
and he said the cut to 165 for iron man wasn’t too bad

Reactions: vhsalum
24/25 - Cruz 25, Ayala 33 , 141?, Rathjen/Block/Voinivich 49, Ferrari/Siebrecht 57, Caliendo/Arnold/Kennedy (best 2 at 65/74), Ferrari 84, Ferrari/Glazier(97), Keuter.

25/26 - Cruz/Laduca 25, Ayala 33 , 141?, Rathjen/Block/Voinivich 49, Ferrari 57, Caliendo/Arnold/Kennedy (best 2 at 65/74), Ferrari 84, Ferrari/Franklin(97), Keuter. This lineup is really good.

We need a 141 recruit, Blaze would be nice. :)
Cruz as a 2-year starter? Eek.

with that said, i have heard that if Brands comes back, it will be at 184. Apparently, he's gotten really big. But he has to win a year from the NCAA. no answer on that just yet.

I'd be very comfortable with that. He was a national qualifier at 184 in 2021. Plus, I prefer it when 6th and 7th year guys are grinding and cutting weight. Enjoy life.

I'd be very comfortable with that. He was a national qualifier at 184 in 2021. Plus, I prefer it when 6th and 7th year guys are grinding and cutting weight. Enjoy life.
If AJ takes over 197, and Zach cuts to 184, Nelson may not beat him out if Zach has another year in him like this one so far.

Reactions: sdvike
This. Cruz should not be considered the starter going into next year, let alone after.
Not unless he has a Zach glazier type jump next year. Would be nice to find a good portal 125 with 2 years left, allowing Deluca to redshirt

If AJ takes over 197, and Zach cuts to 184, Nelson may not beat him out if Zach has another year in him like this one so far.

If and buts are like candy nuts…that scenario precisely why it would be a good thing to have him back. Depth. Plus Ferrari is a ticking time bomb.

We need to not forget about the California kid we have coming in next year. Miguel Estrada ... it is worth your time to look up some of this kids matches and watch his style. he is really going to be a good college wrestler. His bracket was loaded with top kids and he hammered his way through the bracket and on to the win. He just needs more national exposure but I really think this kid will be special.

We need to not forget about the California kid we have coming in next year. Miguel Estrada ... it is worth your time to look up some of this kids matches and watch his style. he is really going to be a good college wrestler. His bracket was loaded with top kids and he hammered his way through the bracket and on to the win. He just needs more national exposure but I really think this kid will be special.
Until he actually has some nationally-relevant wins, i'm out on the Estrada kid.

He can start proving me this wrong this weekend when he competes at CIF. He's the 2 seed and will/should have #10 Laird Root in the semis and #1 Brock Mantanona in the finals.

Agreed, but I don't think he's won the title this year quite yet, pretty sure California states is this week? It would be super encouraging of he plows thru that bracket, pretty sure it has 4-5 college level guys in it.

Until he actually has some nationally-relevant wins, i'm out on the Estrada kid.

He can start proving me this wrong this weekend when he competes at CIF. He's the 2 seed and will/should have #10 Laird Root in the semis and #1 Brock Mantanona in the finals.
I'm not *out* on him necessarily, but have never been that high on him either. He does not score a lot of points. Without seeing him consistently on the national scene, it's hard to have confidence he'll be that great at the next level.

Kid hasn’t wrestled in forever. Not sure if he was injured.

He was dealing with an injury. He competed preseason in October, but didn’t wrestle at all in November and December. I agree his lack of National tournament experience makes me nervous that he could end up being a Justin Mejia type.

I'm with you on that assessment. I have watched a few of his matches online and he doesn't seem to be a dynamic scorer. Against better competition it's close low scoring matches. He seems to be in the familiar mold of stocky grinder.

I'm with you on that assessment. I have watched a few of his matches online and he doesn't seem to be a dynamic scorer. Against better competition it's close low scoring matches. He seems to be in the familiar mold of stocky grinder.
Sooooo that’s exactly the guys TnT go crazy over. Stocky, grinder, defensive.

Reactions: Fan In Black
I’ve probably watched him compete in around 20-25 matches over the years he’s got a few notable strengths and a few areas he’s going to need to improve on to have success at the D-1 level

Strengths-
Physically strong. Kid is flat out built like a brick sh*thouse. He obviously spends time in the weight room and knows how to put pressure on his opponents, both in an ear to ear tie position and riding on top.

Solid defense- Miggie E is tough to score on. Hes got a short, compact, pitbull like body and guys have a hard time getting to his legs. He also keeps himself in good position. He’s not what I would call an elite scrambler, but strong enough to crush guys funk attempts.

Well conditioned- As stated, when he’s up against the top guys, the matches are close. He’s been in some wars and I’ve never seen the kid gas……ever.

Great attitude- He seems to really love the sport, and appears to be enjoying himself. Reminds me a bit of big Tony Cassioppi. During Covid, his HS wasn’t competing. He found a local wrestling club, and kept training. CA allowed those competing for those clubs to compete at the state tournament. He did and won a title.

Areas that need improvement-

Top game- He rarely works for turns in matches I’ve seen, and certainly not against top guys. He rides pretty tough (enough to get a riding time point here or there), but I’m not even sure what his go to turns are.

Neutral skill set- Miguel has a handful of solid, go to finishes from neutral. Hes got a great double, a swing single and a handful of other things here and there, but he doesn’t have that proverbial bag of tricks that he can go to. A great tactician will exploit that if he doesn’t develop additional offensive weapons.

Experience- As stated, he doesn’t compete a lot nationally. His HS isn’t a national powerhouse and they don’t compete all that well in CA. I’d love to see him really test himself this off season and put himself out there vs top competition. Quality workout partners is certainly going to help.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT