ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a relative that uses the term Oriental for anyone Asian?

Here in Arlington, honestly one of the coolest places to spend a morning is to go to the Eden plaza market which is the locus of Vietnamese settlement in the 80s. All kinds of veggies you don’t see, fish swimming in tanks, plucked ducks hanging in windows, etc.
You can see that in just about any Asian market or mall around the country.

Reactions: goldmom
Honestly, called blacks the N word was pretty common place when I was a kid.

#metoo……actually, if I go to a family reunion (which I have one this summer in Houston) i expect I will hear it a lot more

You can see that in just about any Asian market or mall around the country.
I’m sure, though this is an entire massive complex. It’s enjoyable in the sense that you truly “step out” of the rest of the culture and see next to nothing familiar

My mom has admitted she doesn’t give a shit about offending people or trying to navigate the updated lexicon. She’ll speak how she wants and that’s that.

**she’s not the worst, but there’s a lot of “the blacks”, Mexicans, etc. no hard R so, not the worst. There’s other family for that though.

Tell me how it’s so different from Saying “cah” in Boston?
Or “youse” in the Northeast?

youts-did-you-say-youts.gif

Couldn’t the same be said of many Spanish, French, Portuguese speaking former colonies?
How about Hindi. Do Nepalese speak it properly?

People sometimes still say “Oriental rugs” but aside from that I never hear racial “slurs” anymore.
People say an “Asian market” but the continent of Asia covers an enormous area and several countries.
As for the old use of names we’d consider racist or prejudicial I haven’t heard anyone use the N word in DECADES. And then it was used by people my Mother (a North Carolina girl) called “poor white trash”.

My wife’s uncle is Jehovah's Witnesses and “learned” Mandarin Chinese when his group went to China to trick hopeless Chinese people to covert to their wing nut religion. Whenever he sees an Asian person he tries to speak Mandarin to them. It’s super embarrassing and probably a good thing we don’t see him much. The last time he did it was at a Chinese restaurant to the waiter who was Koran.

• Haha
Reactions: billanole
My wife’s uncle is Jehovah's Witnesses and “learned” Mandarin Chinese when his group went to China to trick hopeless Chinese people to covert to their wing nut religion. Whenever he sees an Asian person he tries to speak Mandarin to them. It’s super embarrassing and probably a good thing we don’t see him much. The last time he did it was at a Chinese restaurant to the waiter who was Koran.
Is your uncle Josh Hawley?

Couldn’t the same be said of many Spanish, French, Portuguese speaking former colonies?
How about Hindi. Do Nepalese speak it properly?
Nepalese should not speak Hindi to begin with. They prefer Chinese. Stick to that.

Several coworkers say oriental or just use Chinese for all Asians. My SIL still says colored and for babies or very young kids she refers to them as picaninnies.

People sometimes still say “Oriental rugs” but aside from that I never hear racial “slurs” anymore.
People say an “Asian market” but the continent of Asia covers an enormous area and several countries.
As for the old use of names we’d consider racist or prejudicial I haven’t heard anyone use the N word in DECADES. And then it was used by people my Mother (a North Carolina girl) called “poor white trash”.

You haven't heard the "N" word decades? I'm calling BS or you need hearing aids

Reactions: WSC72
I meant you could call me that GOHOX69. I really don’t care.

Imbecile might be too strong of word though. I’m not quite to that intelligence level.

I know it is a generational thing. I still work hard to correct them all the time.

Between using that term and someone puttting an "R" in Washington, I lose my shit quite a bit around my previous generation.
I think of "oriental" as dated and out of vogue, but not bigoted. To the extent that it's understood as east Asian, it's more accurate than "Asian" in some situations.

Why is it bad?

Reactions: goldmom
You haven't heard the "N" word decades? I'm calling BS or you need hearing aids
Why do you think I’d even associate with people who use that word?
We still have a bit of a class system in the South. If there are people who continue to use that word it tells you you’re around the wrong class of white folks.
Yuk.
And I do have an 18% hearing loss in one ear. No hearing aid yet.
Don’t need one to smell 💩 though.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Certainly one perspective. As I stated before my parents’ gen and older doesn’t blink when the term is used. Those younger will either correct you, roll their eyes, or think you’re an old/uncultured…or some combination of those three (they “care” enough in that regard). None would consider it a high-level slur, and all would admit to having been called worse. I would guess my kids are completely unfamiliar with the term.

Orient is a word used all the way back to Medieval Europe and originated from the Latin word “oriens” which means east.
It wasn’t a word used widely in the US until the nineteenth century.
From this information (thank you Google) I don’t believe it was initially a slur in the modern sense.

Why do you think I’d even associate with people who use that word?
We still have a bit of a class system in the South. If there are people who continue to use that word it tells you you’re around the wrong class of white folks.
Yuk.
And I do have an 18% hearing loss in one ear. No hearing aid yet.
Don’t need one to smell 💩 though.
Not even in a movie?

I meant you could call me that GOHOX69. I really don’t care.

Imbecile might be too strong of word though. I’m not quite to that intelligence level.
I don't know you so I don't need to use that term on you. The other person deserves it.

Reactions: WSC72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT