ADVERTISEMENT

Appeal Denied

Wow, Nelson said he has another year if he wants it due to medical, doesn’t sound like he wants it. Sucks, love Nelson’s progression.
At media day it sounded like he was going to use it, even if he competed this year. He is married now, so these decisions aren’t solely made by him now. You do have to put in a lot of time at this level and still have to be a student to compete, which could be hard on a new marriage if she doesn’t live eat sleep wrestling like the bulls wife, who came from a wrestling family.

Pinche NCAA.

fags-spicoli.gif

First and foremost. Good luck to Nelson. I have so much respect for this young man, and really enjoyed watching him get better and better and succeed in becoming one of the best wrestlers in the country.

To the NCAA, you have lost any ounce of integrity that you had left.! My hope is one day colleges will all know the corruption and remove themselves and become independent from the NCAA and it will be no longer.
You reap what you sow!

First and foremost. Good luck to Nelson. I have so much respect for this young man, and really enjoyed watching him get better and better and succeed in becoming one of the best wrestlers in the country.

To the NCAA, you have lost any ounce of integrity that you had left.! My hope is one day colleges will all know the corruption and remove themselves and become independent from the NCAA and it will be no longer.
You reap what you sow!
The NCAA has completely ruined the NCAA tournament as well. It’s next to impossible to purchase an all sessions ticket with the limited amount of all sessions tickets given to the participating schools.

The NCAA is a big pile of dog sh*t!!! Is there somewhere to get the transcripts of this entire BS probe and how the outcome was determined?

I mean what did the POS people in charge use as a barometer to gauge the punishment? While it appears that these fine young men may have broken some bogus rule. It certainly does not look like any bad intent was involved!!!

OK, you broke a rule, NOT like they were trying to fix a game, shave points, throw a match as far as what I have seen. Once more, I am still not understanding how some may have gotten a lessor penalty? Did they break the rule or not? If so, does it matter if I bet on 1 game, 2 games, 3 games, etc..... Does it matter if I bet $5, 10, $100

I am sorry, I would not let this die!!! I would find the most cut throat lawyer in the land and I would go after the NCAA with all guns blazing!!! Has to be an X-wrestler Lawyer somewhere!!!!

The NCAA is a big pile of dog sh*t!!! Is there somewhere to get the transcripts of this entire BS probe and how the outcome was determined?

I mean what did the POS people in charge use as a barometer to gauge the punishment? While it appears that these fine young men may have broken some bogus rule. It certainly does not look like any bad intent was involved!!!

OK, you broke a rule, NOT like they were trying to fix a game, shave points, throw a match as far as what I have seen. Once more, I am still not understanding how some may have gotten a lessor penalty? Did they break the rule or not? If so, does it matter if I bet on 1 game, 2 games, 3 games, etc..... Does it matter if I bet $5, 10, $100

I am sorry, I would not let this die!!! I would find the most cut throat lawyer in the land and I would go after the NCAA with all guns blazing!!! Has to be an X-wrestler Lawyer somewhere!!!!
You should be upset at the DCI for the investigation and how they went about it . The Ncaa didn't want this investigation the state of Iowa did. The university had to self report it. The kids broke a rule and now suffer the consequences. It's called life . I don't agree with everything but it's over now

You should be upset at the DCI for the investigation and how they went about it . The Ncaa didn't want this investigation the state of Iowa did. The university had to self report it. The kids broke a rule and now suffer the consequences. It's called life . I don't agree with everything but it's over now
And the NCAA made the decision on the punishment, and the subsequent appeal denial. They had two shots to get it right and fvcked them both up.

Not defending the NCAA, I think the level of punishment was ridiculous, but who runs the show if NCAA were gone? Each school set their own rules? Each conference? Likely to lead to all sorts of varying rules (or lack thereof), and a "race to the bottom" at some schools/conferences in order to secure the best talent at all costs. Need to fix the problem(s), not create new ones.

You reap what you sow!
it's coming soon..at least for college football. they already have one foot out the door by not sharing money.

You reap what you sow!
Can you imagine the pressure Nelson had on him being coaches kid and TB being one of the all time greats. I always was very impressed how workman like he was. Totally just kept his head down and worked thru injury, losses, fan criticism of style at times and simply just kept getting better. I think he totally over achieved from what i thought would happen. He seems like a great young man. Competed with humble confidence and got the most out of his abilities. Ive been a guy that said rules and consequences but this punishment was to harsh.

Not really. College sports as we know it could be on the chopping block. Football and basketball thrive and make a bunch of money and all the non revenue sports go bye bye. Right now you are going to have kids from the Stanford softball team travelling across the country to the ACC schools to play mid week games. Does that make sense? No. All these decisions are being made with football/money as the sole purpose. Go back to regional conferences that actually make sense.

The NCAA lessened punishments. Guys are back now who under the old rules wouldn't have been.
Lessened it from lifetime ban to 1 year, which for our guys was lifetime ban since they had one season of eligibility. I confused about Nelson, because he claimed he had another season to use after this one and was going to take it. Now less than 2 months later is throwing in the towel.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Lessened it from lifetime ban to 1 year, which for our guys was lifetime ban since they had one season of eligibility. I confused about Nelson, because he claimed he had another season to use after this one and was going to take it. Now less than 2 months later is throwing in the towel.
Exactly it was about the timing. Getting mad at the NCAA because they bet as SR instead of JR makes no sense to me

The NCAA lessened punishments. Guys are back now who under the old rules wouldn't have been.
Oh how thoughtful of them!

Meanwhile they grant 5th, 6th, 7th, sometimes 8th years to other athletes and turn a blind eye to various other "rules infractions", ones that are far worse than a kid throwing a few bucks on Women's basketball. They enforce only what they want to enforce, or what will benefit them. KMA with that nonsense.

Not defending the NCAA, I think the level of punishment was ridiculous, but who runs the show if NCAA were gone? Each school set their own rules? Each conference? Likely to lead to all sorts of varying rules (or lack thereof), and a "race to the bottom" at some schools/conferences in order to secure the best talent at all costs. Need to fix the problem(s), not create new ones.
We've dealt with varying rules (or the lack there of) from the NCAA for YEARS. Zero consistency.

Not really. College sports as we know it could be on the chopping block. Football and basketball thrive and make a bunch of money and all the non revenue sports go bye bye. Right now you are going to have kids from the Stanford softball team travelling across the country to the ACC schools to play mid week games. Does that make sense? No. All these decisions are being made with football/money as the sole purpose. Go back to regional conferences that actually make sense.
I don’t agree the NCAA is just a middleman although I do agree with the regional conferences. Just like politics there are too many levels of government.

Reactions: Inthecircle
AGAIN F the NCAA AND any other POS that is involved!!! Many MANY things could have been done INSTEAD of screwing the kids out of Wrestling!!! Have them do something useful, like maybe go to youth leagues and volunteer to help coach. Run FREE wrestling clinics, go to local HS and help run some practices etc....

How does taking something GOOD that they are doing away, EVER HELP!!!!

Yet the NCAA had the power to modify the punishment to make it more reasonable and decided against that.

Yet Harbaugh is going to be coaching on the sidelines at the CFB playoffs in a week. Despite literally cheating at the sport he competes in.

I agree, I wouldn't let it drop. Absurdities deserve to be addressed and corrected. Even if it doesn't benefit the Iowa athletes, get it changed for the future.

Can you imagine the pressure Nelson had on him being coaches kid and TB being one of the all time greats. I always was very impressed how workman like he was. Totally just kept his head down and worked thru injury, losses, fan criticism of style at times and simply just kept getting better. I think he totally over achieved from what i thought would happen. He seems like a great young man. Competed with humble confidence and got the most out of his abilities. Ive been a guy that said rules and consequences but this punishment was to harsh.

I agree. And he's made jumps every year. Would've been a real contender this year.

Exactly it was about the timing. Getting mad at the NCAA because they bet as SR instead of JR makes no sense to me

Then you're clueless. Guys are doing PEDs unpunished. Harbaugh is coaching in the playoffs in two weeks. But some wrestlers bet a few hundred on women's basketball and now they'll never compete again as punishment. Absolutely absurd. And the game they bet on was called out by the NCAA as being horribly officiated. So they likely were screwed on their bets as well due to NCAA incompetence! Double punishment lol. Completely absurd to defend the NCAA on this.

AGAIN F the NCAA AND any other POS that is involved!!! Many MANY things could have been done INSTEAD of screwing the kids out of Wrestling!!! Have them do something useful, like maybe go to youth leagues and volunteer to help coach. Run FREE wrestling clinics, go to local HS and help run some practices etc....

How does taking something GOOD that they are doing away, EVER HELP!!!!

Credit to you. Feels weird liking an @IRONBIRD post. Agreed though. Some type of community service or public awareness campaign on sports gambling would've been a much more effective, and fair "penalty" than banning them from competiton.

Yet the NCAA had the power to modify the punishment to make it more reasonable and decided against that.

Yet Harbaugh is going to be coaching on the sidelines at the CFB playoffs in a week. Despite literally cheating at the sport he competes in.

I agree, I wouldn't let it drop. Absurdities deserve to be addressed and corrected. Even if it doesn't benefit the Iowa athletes, get it changed for the future.
Technically the CFP isn't an NCAA event (nor a true playoff, based on their decision about which teams were invited, but I digress).

The whole of idea of this punishment is stupid. Banning guys for betting on other sports at their school because they MIGHT have inside information is ridiculous. The quarterback's girlfriend or father might have information and they're betting. The whole idea behind (successful) gambling is to find inefficiencies or bad lines. Unless one of the wrestlers was actively soliciting or trying to influence the performance of a player in the other sport, it's a stupid, short-sighted decision that only penalizes the athletes and for no justifiable reason.

I guess I don't get the outcry on this.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Probably not.

Yet the rules and subsequent punishment were very clear, not like it was some secret how severely they would enforce this if caught.

Blame lies solely on the athletes to me. Just don't freaking gamble as a college athlete, problem solved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT