ADVERTISEMENT

"Arizona State fires coach Todd Graham after six seasons"

We've already seen a reinvention of Kirk ... and that produced the 2015 season. Obviously, a favorable schedule helped .... but anything can happen on any given Saturday. Iowa throttled OSU this year, Syracuse beat Clemson, and Pitt beat Miami.

Kirk's reinvention was reminiscent of Penn State's reinvention back in 2005 ... and that was with Paterno at the helm. Given Kirk's respect of Paterno's program (at least before all the Sandusky stuff came to the forefront) ... it's not surprising that Kirk managed to pull a comparable turnaround.

Similarly, if you consider Iowa's personnel and schedule through the coming seasons ... there's no reason to suppose that Iowa couldn't pull off a more great seasons.
Anyhow, the point of my retort being ... many long-time coaches demonstrate a pattern of getting "stuck in their ways." Kirk's apparent capacity for reinvention runs contrary to the trend that you point to.

Anyhow, the point of my retort being ... many long-time coaches demonstrate a pattern of getting "stuck in their ways." Kirk's apparent capacity for reinvention runs contrary to the trend that you point to.

First, since KF won 10+ games by his 4th season, he earned the right to be considered the right guy long-term (per my criteria), and he went on to have four more 10+ win seasons. People certainly have their opinions on whether or not KF is still the right man for the job, but that's not exactly my argument here.

Second, if you don't consider KF to be "stuck in his ways," despite the "New Kirk" phenomenon of 2015, then you have a different definition of that term than most people I know. But again, KF's status was not my argument. KF is clearly unique, being the longest tenured FBS coach. Most programs change coaches every 5-6 years, and I was simply trying to demonstrate why this is the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT